Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Anybody Make A Respringable 9mm 1911 Mag?

steel1212

OK, I am not sure how to tell you this, but all magazines have removeable springs.

A standard 1911 magazine with fixed bottom is easily disassembled:

1)Push the follower half way down in the tube (I use a bushing wrench)

2)Capture the mag spring with a smallm allen wrench through the mag body without touching the follower

3)Pry or shake the follower out of the top of the tube

4)Replace guts in reverse order

Sorry dude, you have been wasting your dollars on new mags!

OK, I am not sure how to tell you this, but all magazines have removeable springs.

A standard 1911 magazine with fixed bottom is easily disassembled:

1)Push the follower half way down in the tube (I use a bushing wrench)

2)Capture the mag spring with a smallm allen wrench through the mag body without touching the follower

3)Pry or shake the follower out of the top of the tube

4)Replace guts in reverse order

Sorry dude, you have been wasting your dollars on new mags!

Umm yeah, I just figured that out....(shakes head in shame)

Dont feel bad I had to be told the same. But in my case it was from the dealer before I bought the first mag. I didnt want to buy his mags for what I thought was the non serviceability of them he showed me how.

Hello: Now you have lots of spare mags right? You can also stretch the springs back into there original length as well to give more pressure on the follower. I do this everytime on my STI 2011 mags for IDPA. The stock STI springs take a set very quickly compared to the Grams or ISMI springs. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

Hello: Now you have lots of spare mags right? You can also stretch the springs back into there original length as well to give more pressure on the follower. I do this everytime on my STI 2011 mags for IDPA. The stock STI springs take a set very quickly compared to the Grams or ISMI springs. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

certainly not trying to start an argument, but i've always heard/been taught stretching mag springs (or any springs, really) was a no-no. does this only apply when stretching them further than their original design length or to specific types/brands of springs? what's the real deal on coil springs and stretching?

i shoot CZ's, which have factory mag spring 'issues' by most accounts, so i always replace the mag springs with +10% ones. better safe than sorry and it's a quick and inexpensive modification.

frye

Hey, look on the bright side, you have all those old magazines that can now be brought up to full speed again, giving you a LOT of mags. You can never be too young, too thin, or have too many magazines. BTW, what was the problem that originally made you think the springs were worn out?

Here's a great source for after-market mag springs. Actually, Wolff OEMs the springs for a lot of companies' magazines.

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Hey, look on the bright side, you have all those old magazines that can now be brought up to full speed again, giving you a LOT of mags. You can never be too young, too thin, or have too many magazines. BTW, what was the problem that originally made you think the springs were worn out?

Here's a great source for after-market mag springs. Actually, Wolff OEMs the springs for a lot of companies' magazines.

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

They wouldn't lock the slide back, or if they did they just barely caught the lip of the notch. New mags would lock fully. Yeah, now I get a whole bunch o mags! ;)