Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rainy Weather Gear

Resjudicata

According to Yahoo Weather it's supposed to be 71 degrees and scattered thunder storms for Double Tap.

What do you folks recommend to wear or have on hand for during the match and for actually shooting as far as rain gear? I haven't shot during the rain yet. I've shot during snow flurries, light freezing rain and sleet but not plain ole soak ya to the bone rain.

Chris

According to Yahoo Weather it's supposed to be 71 degrees and scattered thunder storms for Double Tap.

What do you folks recommend to wear or have on hand for during the match and for actually shooting as far as rain gear? I haven't shot during the rain yet. I've shot during snow flurries, light freezing rain and sleet but not plain ole soak ya to the bone rain.

Chris

I shoot in just regular clothes. After and during the time everyone else is shooting I wear my Gortex rain parka from Bass Pro.

Chris C.

Use a stainless/hard chrome gun and kydex holster and mag pouches. Bring some canned air and blow the gun out after the match. :) I understand that the disposable shower caps in the motel actually work pretty well to keep the rain off the gun between stages.

Edited because I can't think on one cup of coffee.

Edited by revchuck

I like to carry my Frogg Toggs with me. They fold down into practically nothing, so the jacket is easy to carry around or stuff into your shooting bag. The material breathes, so you don't get all sweaty. You can find them at fishing or motorcycle shops usually.

Just to be on the safe side, Academy sells an ultra light weight, hooded rain top by Magellian. It folds into its own built in zippered pouch and measures about 5"x5"x2" when stowed. It'll smash down even smaller. It's over-sized. The hood is large enough to fit completely over a ball cap and ear muffs, and it's long enough to completely cover all your gear.

I carry a $2.00 throw away poncho in my rangebag that is folded into a package the size of a deck of cards..emergency.. I also carry a folded up heavy garbage bag to keep my range bag covered. If I know its going to rain, I throw a bag over my gun and take a breathable rain jacket and ball cap, along with a golf umbrella. Wipe the gun AND mags down with a dry towel and then a silicone gun rag after the match.

ALWAYS KEEP large size garbage bags in the bottom of your range bag, because you never know when it might rain. They roll up really small and dont weigh alot. Like having insurance.

Bring extra plastic bags / zip-loc bags, etc. when you know it will rain. You can use these for all sorts of stuff, from ammo, to your ciggarets if you smoke, anything that you keep in your pockets, and might get wet.

Think canoeing trip.

I'm hoping the forecast is dead wrong. It seems they usually are. :lol:

I'll look at getting the fold up poncho to keep in my range bag. And, sounds like a good idea about taking a garbage bag to put my range bag in.

BTW, what exactly are "Frog Togs"?

Chris

Does anyone know if the Double Tap range Drains well? from the pictures I have seen, it seems like clay/sandy surface, which to me would seem real slippery, when wet. And would also stick to the bottom of our cleats. I guess if we get bad weather we will be running around with 20lb shoes. lol

Does anyone know if the Double Tap range Drains well? from the pictures I have seen, it seems like clay/sandy surface, which to me would seem real slippery, when wet. And would also stick to the bottom of our cleats. I guess if we get bad weather we will be running around with 20lb shoes. lol

That's a good question. I hadn't thought about that.

I think I will email the Double Tap folks and ask them to give us a weather update this week before we all leave. They have the thread about the match already going in the Pistol Match Info area.

Chris

Robert Porter (Match MD) is forum member "scorch"... ;)

Thanks,

I sent him an email just asking if he could let us know what the conditions are later in the week. Yahoo weather says there are supposed to be storms in the area all week.

PaperKiller may be right about the 20 pound mud boots. Good thing I'm used to carrying a bunch of extra weight. :P

Chris

+1 To Frog Toggs . I add a gortex golf cap. and a three big 3 mil thick trash bags. (contractor sized)

One goes over my shooting bag the other is filled with every dry towel I can "borrow" from the local motel. The third is inside the "dry towel" bag... so I have a place to put the wet ones.

I also have a couple pair of surgical gloves in my back pack. If it really pours they help maintain a grip. Lastly-- I pack the largest golf umbrella I own. "It's like a tent on a stick"

Note--- All that preparation is only for major matches... if it's a local match I quit if the rain suit and umbrella aren't enough.

I like the idea of not showing up to shoot in the rain :ph34r: but if I must I bring a golf umbrella, because the suits/panchos are a pain because you stand a good chance of dumping your racegun in a mud puddle taking it on and off. Garbage bag to put your range bag in, hat or visor, shower cap and dry towel complete my rain kit. I have a folding pancho in my bag that been in there for 10 years.

I would advise a coat and even heat packs this time of year since being wet and cold is the worst of both worlds.

Really just shoot and don't get negative.

What ever you use, don't leave a blued gun in a gun rug for any longer than it takes you to get back after the day's shooting if either one has got even a taste of the rain, even if you took pains to "dry the gun off" first.

Boy, I won't do that one again... <_<