Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sw 625 - 5" Vx 4" Barrel

8ring

I'm thinking of replacing my worn-out 625-3 (5" barrel) My choices are a new 5" barrel 625 for $600 or a 4" barrel Jerry Miculek model for about $650. The gold-bead easily replaceable front sight is an advantage of the JM model. However, I am concerned that the shorter barrel will have more recoil and muzzle jump and require hotter loads to make PF.

Has anyone made head-to-head comparisons between the two? Every other round-gun shooter I see uses a 5" barrel except for a few using a Model 25 with a 6.5" barrel.

I'm a C level shooter and have fairly good recoil control (consistent .40 splits) with the 625-3 by taking a very high right hand grip and using 230gr Frontier bullets over 4.0gr. N-310.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Chris

:o

I've got both, the 5 " is for IPSC/ICORE and the 4" is for IDPA, the 5" seems to be eaiser on me and the follow up shots are better with it. Other than that, both are good guns, they each have their purpose, IDPA rules limit me to a 4" gun...

michaels

However, I am concerned that the shorter barrel will have more recoil and muzzle jump and require hotter loads to make PF.

I think your concerns are well-placed. I would strongly recommend the 5" for IPSC/USPSA competition.

I think your concerns are well-placed. I would strongly recommend the 5" for IPSC/USPSA competition.

+1

I´ve replaced the 4" barrel on both of my 586 with a 6" barrel after testing the gun of an other shooter with this setup - the results went up from one day to the other. Less Miss, better splits and follow up shots.

Go for it!

DVC!

Sascha

Let me add my agreement to the 5" or greater barrel length. I have a 610 in 4" for IDPA and although it is a fun gun to shoot, the sight radius is shorter and the percieved recoil is greater.

I think you would be happier with the 5" barrel

FWIW

dj

I had both of my 5" guns (625 and Redhawk) cut back to 4" way before either of them was offered with that barrel length. My primary concern was concealed carry and they both serve that purpose very well. When I shoot USPSA with the 625 I suffer badly on the long range standards. I'm sure part of the problem is a wide front sight and the shorter sight radius. But then I hardly ever practice at 50 yards, so I guess I get what I deserve. I really do love the feel of a 4" 625 with lugged barrel. I think it's the best and most useful handgun that money can buy. If your primary concern is USPSA then you will certainly be better served with the 5" barrel, though I don't believe the inch difference in barrel length is as critical as some make it out to be.

Dave Sinko

8ring,

My 45ACP data for TiteGroup, Clays & Unique and 230 gr CP bullets indiactes 7-9% more powder is needed to make 165 PF in a 4" barrel versus a 5" barrel 625. I found the additional inch equated to an average 25 fps velocity difference with a given 230 gr CP load. You make the call - that's a delta of 5.8 PF with a 230 gr bullet.

My USPSA and ICORE friends tell me the 5" 625 is the hot set-up.

If you plan on shooting IDPA (where the real revolver competition is) you should consider the 4" barrel 625 as a 5" barrel is not compliant with IDPA rules.

Craig

Sorry Mike, it just kind of slipped out...

Edited by Bones

8ring,

My 45ACP data for TiteGroup, Clays & Unique and 230 gr CP bullets indiactes 7-9% more powder is needed to make 165 PF in a 4" barrel versus a 5" barrel 625. I found the additional inch equated to an average 25 fps velocity difference with a given 230 gr CP load. You make the call - that's a delta of 5.8 PF with a 230 gr bullet.

My USPSA and ICORE friends tell me the 5" 625 is the hot set-up.

If you plan on shooting IDPA (where the real revolver competition is) you should consider the 4" barrel 625 as a 5" barrel is not compliant with IDPA rules.

Craig

Sorry Mike, it just kind of slipped out...

If you Taylor Throat it, you will usually gain that 25 f/s back.

I was lucky enough to have a 4 inch 625 for about a year. It shot very well but I never got use to the shorter sight radius and the added felt recoil. If you intend to shoot IDPA get the 4 inch but if you are only shooting USPSA or ICORE the 5 inch will help you out more.

If you Taylor Throat it, you will usually gain that 25 f/s back.

What is "Taylor Throat " ??

Yes, you'll need a 4" barrel for IDPA, but that's OK because fast shooting in that sport is strongly discouraged. ;)

Taylor throating is a procedure in which the barrel is removed and freebore is cut just ahead of the forcing cone to allow the bullet to completely enter the barrel before it engages the rifling and starts spinning. This is supposed to allow guns with misaligned cylinders achieve better accuracy since the bullets will theoretically be deformed less. The purpose is to improve accuracy and I have no idea how it would affect velocity. Has anybody actually tried this with an old or heavily utilized gun?

Dave Sinko

As I posted previously, an 11-degree forcing cone chamfer was pretty much the revolversmith's standard for many years, but it never really attracted much attention from shooters. Then along comes a 10-degree forcing cone chamfer and it's the hot ticket people will pay extra money for because it has the cool-sounding name "Taylor Throat."

Caveat emptor.

(Dave, you don't have to remove the barrel to cut the forcing cone on a revolver. Please tell me some gunschmidt didn't rip you off by telling you that was necessary......)

Nah, got one of those reamers from Brownells. Did it myself. It's so easy I didn't even screwed it up'd!

It did help the velocity. Kind of helped the grouping to be more uniform, but don't know as if it shrank the groups any.

I worked on a buddies gun show 625 and it shot just as good as mine ever did, even with the shallow stock sights.

I kind of did it, just to do it. I can't help myself, I just have to tinker with my guns.

Edited by pskys2

For $600 you can get a almost new 625 <1000 rounds though the barrel. I would just start looking for a new gun do a little work to smooth it up and keep the other for a backup. There may be more to this than I understand but I got two 625's and both were under $500. Good luck with your project hope to shoot with you one day.......John DVC

...you don't have to remove the barrel to cut the forcing cone on a revolver.
Mike - IIRC, Taylor throating involves removing the rifling for about an inch past the forcing cone, giving that much freebore. It was the bee's knees for silhouette shooters about 20 years ago.