Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building G20 Limited Pistol

ranger

I just purchased a like-new G20 with a KKM 40S&W barrel - otherwise it is stock except for grip tape - from the Be Classifieds. (Thanks for the opportunity to use the BE Classifieds!). I want to set up the G20 for Limited while I continue to shoot my G34 in Production. I am looking for lessons learned on G20/40S&W.

I am thinking of Warren/Sevigny competition sights (with fiber optic insert), a Vanek drop-in trigger (love the one in my G34), a heavy guide rod, and a magwell to add weight and provide large opening for reloads. Any comments on that plan?

I got three Gen 4 factory hi-caps with the pistol and I purchased 4 more new Hi-Caps from CDNN for $16.99 each. I plan on adding +5 basepad kits to at least three mags. First thought are the Arrendos base pad kits.

I am not trying to discuss the legalities of G20/40 - there are other active threads on BE for that already. I did a search and read numnerous G20/21 threads but none quite answered the questions above to my satisfaction.

I am thinking of Warren/Sevigny competition sights (with fiber optic insert)

I'm not a fiber optic fan, many are. The Warren/Sevigny sights for the G20 work great.

...a Vanek drop-in trigger (love the one in my G34)

your call on what you'd like to do with the triggers...there are many options.

a heavy guide rod

We have a steel (captured) ISMI guide rod and 13# ISMI spring in ours (actually, my girlfriend's gun)

The gun will shoot soft enough that you may not want to add too much extra weight to it.

Experiment and see what you like.

and a magwell to add weight and provide large opening for reloads. Any comments on that plan?

My buddy is just using a Seattle Slug in his G20. My gf's gun has a brass magwell on it. I forget who made it. It's not real impressive.

I'm not sure who is stocking a good magwell for the large framed glocks.

?

I got three Gen 4 factory hi-caps with the pistol and I purchased 4 more new Hi-Caps from CDNN for $16.99 each. I plan on adding +5 basepad kits to at least three mags. First thought are the Arrendos base pad kits.

I'd suggest trying a base pad from a few places and seeing what you like. The Beven Gramm pads...am I right i thinking that Beven came out with a mag spring specific to the large frame mags ? That might be worth looking into.

It sounds like you already have a great plan. I assume that you already have a good belt, holster, and mag pouches?

I use the Arredondo basepads when I play around in Limited and am a big fan.

Great point about holster, etc. I have been shooting for a long time so I have a cache of holsters, etc. I'll use my Safariland inner/outer belt system, some Safariland pouches for my Para, and I bought an Uncle Mikes "kydex-type" holster from a local gunshop for $20 to start with. I am open to suggestions to holsters and mag pouches. I prefer a kydex type holster versus the race style.

Thanks for the input.

Below is a condensed version of the text from the ad of when I purchased it. It's the easiest way for me to list what it has:

Started out as a 10mm Glock 20C, replaced barrel with kkm .40S&W non-ported barrel so you can long load .40 to 10mm length Long 40 is much softer to shoot than short 40, feels like shooting it out of an STI 5 inch gun. I've shot my buddies Brazos Limited gun and he this one and this is true. The sights are Dawson Precision adjustable with a .090 front sight blade with fiber optic up front and target serration in the rear. The gun has a 1.25lb trigger with over travel and pre travel set screws...ALL SAFETY SYSTEMS WORK. Trigger was done by Charlie Vanek. Has a Seattle Slug brass weight in grip to reduce felt recoil. 13lb recoil spring. Hi-cap Glock mags with Grams base pad, springs and followers that holds a total of 20+1. Alluminator speed holster. Gun shoots great and accurate. Because of light trigger it needs federal primers for 100% ignition. Win & CCI are about 97%. I had my gunsmith knock out the port seperator in the top of the slide to make it look like the open slide of a G34 or G35.

The load that I have worked out to is .40 180 grain TC lead, 1.200 OAL, about .02 crimp, 4.6 grains of vv n320. Makes about 166-167 PF when I chrono it. At major matches it comes in around 169-171 PF.

Yes, a large difference. The longer loaded ammo will give a greater margin of error while loading with heavier bullets with ultra fast powders. However, if you do not go with the fast powders....I don't think you will see as big of a difference.

Back to the thread....Kydex

I had the opportunity to shoot the Area 6 match with Shannon Smith and let me tell you his Kydex holster didn't hold him back. He is like lightening...his finish at the match was tainted by a malfunctioning (in the rain and lightening) timer. Kydex will allow you to really go after the gun, without thinking you may lose it. There are some production guys that will kill you with Kydex holsters on the first shot. Just some food for thought.

JoeD,

Playing Golf... Actually I have been the last three months going through the motions of buying a new home out in the Thousand Oaks CA area (Should close at the end of the month) .

I configured my Limited G20 with the following features

Vanek Trigger 1.5 pounds

KKM 40S&W-10mm Barrel

LWD Extended Magazine release for the G20/21(Tried JP Enterprise bit into my hand)

Glock Extended Slide Release

Dawson FO Front Sight with Dawson Target Rear

NHO Big Mouth Magazine Well Stainless for G20/21 with Brass insert (Was a Prototype I hear they have not been easy to get)

Tungsten Guide rod with 13 pound ISMI Spring

Ghost Holster

CrSpeed Belt

Safariland Magazine Pouches for Para

Arredondo 140 mm Magazine Extensions/Basepads with Wolf/ISMI Para springs (Prefer Grams basepads for the G20/21 magazines but they were not easy to get several months ago from sources like Speed Shooters or even Grams always out of stock)

I also configured a G21 for IDPA CDP with the following features

Vanek Trigger 1.5 pounds

LWD Extended Magazine release for the G20/21

Glock Extended Slide Release

Dawson FO Front Sight with Dawson Target Rear

NHO Big Mouth Magazine Well Aluminum for G20/21 (Was a Prototype I hear they have not been easy to get)

Stainless Guide rod with 13 pound ISMI Spring

Comptac Holster and Magazine pouches

Edited by ryucasta