Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When To "off" Safety

wmounts

With a 1911, when should the safety be clicked off during a stage? It feels natural to me to hit the safety immediately after the pistol clears the holster, but I'm worried that this might be a violation (unsafe practice?).

• 2 months later...

I grab the gun in the holster with my thumb over the safety, but only grip with my fingers until my support hand comes in. As I'm completing my grip, just below bringing the sights into line, I push down the safety. Works pretty well, is safe and doesn't cost any time.

Somewhere during my presentation... When I'm at speed I couldn't tell you for sure. My trigger finger drops inside the guard just after my weak hand grips the gun. That way I can be sure I don't get a bad grab and bump my trigger finger and can prep the trigger on my push out.

Anything you read from me should be considered suspect until a more seasoned shooter comments. I'm new and haven't had any instruction... I just try and be safe and do what works for me.

JT

Edited by JThompson

The safety comes off when you are ready to engage the target. As stated above this is somewhere between the chest and pulling the trigger. You should be aiming at the target at that time.

Rule 8.5.1: "Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets, all movement must be accomplished with the fingers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged. ..."

Of course there's that 'should' word. But then again that's the word you used too! ;)

Somewhere during my presentation... When I'm at speed I couldn't tell you for sure. My trigger finger drops inside the guard just after my weak hand grips the gun. That way I can be sure I don't get a bad grab and bump my trigger finger and can prep the trigger on my push out.

Anything you read from me should be considered suspect until a more seasoned shooter comments. I'm new and haven't had any instruction... I just try and be safe and do what works for me.

JT

At what point is your weak hand coming on to the gun. At least with my draw I would be worried about having a finger in the trigger guard that early. My weak hand is on the gun while the gun is just barely above waist level.

FWIW...If yours is coming on to the gun later than that you might want to try getting it there sooner. That is what I have seen folks like Matt B. do on his videos and Flexmoney and Steve A. do in person.

Edited to answer original question...my safety comes off just as the gun clears the holster and then my trigger finger is out until the gun is on it's way out to the target. I am probably a little late on getting my finger on the trigger than I need to. I am still getting used to this light trigger in my Brazos. :D

Edited by Texas HK shooter

JT

At what point is your weak hand coming on to the gun. At least with my draw I would be worried about having a finger in the trigger guard that early. My weak hand is on the gun while the gun is just barely above waist level.

Nope, my weak hand gets there fast... I'm not worried about my finger inside the guard because I'm pointed downrange... not at my feet. As far as I'm concerned as long as I'm pointed close to the target and downrange it's fine. ;)

Thanks for the comment though... it's always appreciated. :)

If you would like to contnue this discussion please PM me so we don't drift this thread.

JT

I do what I do and it works for me... if you do it, and it gets you bounced out of a match (or worse), don't b***h at me... ;)

My safety comes off right after the gun clears the holster, just before my left hand meets the gun. I found that if I tried to actuate the safety later than that, the heel of my left hand had filled the gap where the safety is supposed to get down to, and I couldn't get the safety off w/o shifting my left hand grip. After that time, I'm as dp40 describes - trigger finger is the safety.

The only time that differs is on a draw w/ a transfer to weak hand. I do the "grab the magwell" bit typically, so the left hand takes the safety off as the right hand comes off the gun...

My safety comes off as I'm pushing the gun out to the target, usually as the support hand grips the gun and I lock the thumbs forward.

Considering just about everyone has had an AD at one point or another, that trigger finger safety is pretty unreliable.

I Should not eat as much red meat

I Should eat more fruits and vegetables

I Should stay away from bad girls

I Should practice more

I Should drink less

See Should means don't have to :lol:

At first you should(haha see you don't have to) think of what you are doing and when you are taking the safety but after bit you want it to be an almost conditioned subconscious event.

This should not be a conscious thought at any time as it will destroy the flow of the draw. Your best presentation is made when you don't know how the gun got there, it just appeared with perfect sight alignment and it went off. It is sorta like sky diving, if you think about want to do next you may not have time to do it. Riggers in Maine, Florida & Washington have received a token of my appreciation.