Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I decided to create a new topic from the I Hate Bluetooth Devices as I severly drifted the thread.

I need a Bluetooth head set.

I want the Jawbone but it is sold out.

The other models I am interested in are the Platronics Discovery 645 but it doesn't appear to have an ear loop and the Logiteck BT with the noise cancellation foam.

Sonic quality is very important to me; can anyone help me make a final decision?

Thanks!

FM

My wife, daughter and I all use a Motorola H500. Not real fancy, but works well with both a Razr and Blackberry Pearl.

Audio quality is pretty good. Volume is also good - after years of loud rock and roll and a year of shooting, that's the most important thing for me.

I'm on my second Jabra after the batteries on my first headset, the BT200, started to die after 3 years. I think the new one I have is the BT350. Now my headset batteries last longer than my phone's.

That said, i like the older Jabra style (behind the ear) better than the over-the-ear design. The ear bud wouldn't allow external noise to get in the ear canal and the design just fit better with my glasses.

I've got a Plantronics 510 that I really like. I tried a motarola that worked great unless you were driving, but background noise really gave me a problem. The plantronics has an ear bud that basically blocks the canal, so background noise is not a problem, it also has wind or noise canceling for the mic. I like mine enough that I bought one for my Father for father's day.

All the Plantronics come with ear loops. They are optional in use, some folk like them, some folk don't bother. Thats the plus these bring to the table, really small and light without the ear loop, like nothing at all ;-)

All the Plantronics come with ear loops. They are optional in use, some folk like them, some folk don't bother. Thats the plus these bring to the table, really small and light without the ear loop, like nothing at all ;-)

Thanks George, I'll keep that in mind if I don't like Jawbone. :)

FM

Where did you find your Jawbone FM? Online?
FM,

How are you liking that Jawbone?

At the Aliph site you can sign up for the "In Stock" notification.

Just Google Jawbone, you'll get there.

I received notification last Friday and ordered it that night online.

It was supposed to ship in three business days; so I am hoping to have it Friday night after I get back to our office.

I'll give a quick review after I get it! :)

FM

Looks like they are back in stock at www.jawbone.com as well if you go to the store. Other places on the site they say they are out of stock.

Be interested to hear the review.

Looks like they are back in stock at www.jawbone.com as well if you go to the store. Other places on the site they say they are out of stock.

Be interested to hear the review.

"Attack of the Show" did a review on it. IIRC, they said it was uncomfortable, the controls were hard to use and the sound quality was not good. They did like the way it looked though.

OK, here is my take.

Due to bad elbows, yeah, I know self inflicted from hitting millions and millions of golf balls, I can't hold a phone to my ear for more than 3 minutes without pain, so...

I am the king of Bluetooth.

I also, yes, imagine this, have a bit of a hearing problem. So, the best and LOUDEST Bluetooth I could find was the Motorola H700

It just works great and has long battery life.

I also, yes, imagine this, have a bit of a hearing problem. So, the best and LOUDEST Bluetooth I could find was the Motorola H700

I bought the Motorola HS850 for the same reason (I can hear it). Battery life is awesome and not too uncomfortable to wear. The only thing I would like better would be noise canceling. It picks up wind noise bad.

http://direct.motorola.com/ens/bluetooth/b...h-headsets.html

Got it tonight, it's on the charger right now.

Right now here is what I don't like;

1-Dedicated battery.

2-expensive packaging; it comes in a real fancy case to make you feel like you are buying something extra special. They could knock a good $30-$50 bucks off and ship it in a corrugated box; I wouldn't care. You will never use it again; it's just to look cool in a boutique type store.

3-Shipping cost; $14.95

I'll try it tomorrow; if it works like they advertise all of the above is forgiven!

FM

Drum Roll please! :P

It's OK.

I have never had one before so I can't compare it to anything else.

It paired pretty easy with Blackberry, and I had to learn what you couldn't do today.

Like forget to take your phone with you, walk out of the office to your car come back into the office and expect to still have the headset/phone activated. Like I said this is my very first Bluetooth head set.

It is comfortable, the Logitech 645 is probably more comfortable because you can run without the ear loop. The buttons are difficult to manipulate; because of the small size I thought everything would be very delicate with minimal force needed to press the keys. It takes a lot more force than I had anticipated; that's probably a good thing, tougher springs and such.

The first time I tried it was this afternoon; I had my broker call me for a test and she said it sounded fine, almost land line quality. I did not get to try the noise cancellation feature.

As far as recommending this product I would say it's way over priced. The fancy packaging that you will NEVER use again probably cost more than the device wholesale. IF you could buy this in a brown corrugated box filled with Styrofoam peanuts for $60, minimal shipping, then I would recommend trying it. If I were them I'd keep doing what they are doing; they know sexy, dramatic packaging sells. I'm just jealous! :lol:

FM

OK, here is my take.

I've got the H700 hooked to a Samsung T509 phone. It's great sound (I can hear it over machinery), the DSP mic noise cancellation works as advertised (other party doesn't hear wind noise) but the range is terrible as the batteries go down. I can't drift further than ten feet on a full battery and that goes down to a few feet after about an hour of use. Generally I have to keep the phone on the same side of my body as the earpiece or reception gets scratchy.

I just keep the battery topped off either from the wall charger or a USB cable on my notebook. I haven't found a clearer or lighter headset yet - I've often been looking for my headset only to find myself wearing it already!! If they would just fix the range issue it would be 10/10. Right now I can give it an 8.5/10.

• 2 weeks later...

I called a retailer today called "Headsetters" today which specializes in sell in head sets on a trial basis until you find the one you like or works to your satisfaction. I told them I was using Jawbone and Blackberry. They said that was the problem with the noise and that there are very few headsets that work with Blackberry. Jabra has some of the few models that do.

I am sending the Jawbone back and cut my loses. Or if some wants to buy it from me I have $134.98 in it. It was just used long enough to test it, 45 minutes max.

The bottom line is to find one that works with your phones technology.

FM

• 11 months later...

Anyone have any head set updates?

Have I seen a drop in people using them?

It seemed for a while there were tons of people using them, the only people I see with them are truck drivers these days.

I've noticed prices dropping too.

Thanks!

FM

It seemed for a while there were tons of people using them, the only people I see with them are truck drivers these days.

Thanks!

FM

I picked up my second Jawbone as I really like the quality of the sound that it puts out and it pairs really well with my ancient treo 650. When I broke my first Jawbone I had the Motorola h700 and it was okay, but more durable than the Jawbone, or I'm a bit rough on my equipment. It seems like you'd have to carry it in a hard case to keep it safe from breaking.

I purchased another one because of the sound quality and prefer it to holding my brick of a cell phone up to my ear.

Thanks!

FM

I picked up my second Jawbone as I really like the quality of the sound that it puts out and it pairs really well with my ancient treo 650. When I broke my first Jawbone I had the Motorola h700 and it was okay, but more durable than the Jawbone, or I'm a bit rough on my equipment. It seems like you'd have to carry it in a hard case to keep it safe from breaking.

I purchased another one because of the sound quality and prefer it to holding my brick of a cell phone up to my ear.

The hearing side of the Jawbone was OK, but anyone I talked to told me to get rid of it cause it sucked on their end.

FM