Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy Open Build?

xdrocker

Ok, before I start. Not an M or GM, nor will I ever be be, I just like to have fun. So, with that said. How about an EAA Witness in 38 super, you can get 19 in stock mags and on their website you can get a barrel/comp combo (including guie rod and spring) for $269. Now, IF the barrel combo is a drop in, am I wrong for assuming that someone could build an open gun for around $800. Given. its a few rounds short, not glamourus, and not nearly as efficient as a custom or S_I. Sure, I will never give Tilley, Jarret, or ANY of the big boys a run for their money with it, but I could have a $7000 custom gun and not do it either. Bottom line, would it work and be functionable and reliable. I already have a c-more. Any takers?

I say go for it.

What you are talking about is building a low-budget version of the "Gold Team" using a .38 Super Witness. Here is what you will lack over buying the real "Gold Team":

-no "V-12" porting. In some cases, this might be a plus.

-no single action. still, any witness can be converted. trigger should be about $60-80 - but you will want a triggerjob and maybe an EGW hardsear.

-Witness does not have frame drilled for scope mount. You will have to buy a higher end model - still only about $500 or so - but something to consider

-regular witness in .38 super does not have ejector tuned for brass to clear the scope mount

So - if these things matter to you, buy the Gold team. OTOH, I would just buy the conversion you mentioned, mount a Doctor, J-Point, CZ-Firepoint, new Ultradot, or equivalent right to the slide and buy some chromed mags from Henning's new online store.

Oh yeah - and USE RIMLESS .38 AMMO! That seems to be the requirement for reliability w/ these.

Back in the dark ages,

just after dinosaurs walked the earth, some of us shot P9's (not super but 9x21) to 175 + PF, As memory serves even TGO shot them (Springfield Armory of course), ( he caused me to spend my $$$ on one no three).

Perfectly fine, it can be in 9x19, 9x21 ( my favorite) or 38 super.

Frame sizes are different.

the 9x19 mags are available in hicap (think CZ, minor mods maybe needed) see:

http://ghostholster.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_29

or: for 38 super

http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/eaa.elite.magazines.html

Edited by 9x21

The barrel and comp kit you're mentioning doesn't have a "cone comp" setup like the Witness Elite Gold has. The only thing holding the comp onto the gun is the guide rod.

I had that "floating" setup on the old 9mm/40 frame to shoot 9x21 in Open, years ago. The cone comp and V-12 porting on the Gold make for a MUCH better match pistol - completely worth the difference in price. Call Henning & talk to him about it.

Having said that, I would still suggest watching the Enos & USPSA classified ads and look for used STI open guns at less than 1600 bucks. Takes patience but they are out there.

Pm me if you want EAA. Also have a Pre Para. nicer STI. All are 38 Super. W/ CMores. Mags etc. Low $$$$

Pm me if you want EAA. Also have a Pre Para. nicer STI. All are 38 Super. W/ CMores. Mags etc. Low $$$$

Henning Wallgren and that French guy who keeps winning world titles Eric Grauffel uses them so you're not sacrificing anything in the least.

Get with Henning and he'll take care of you on a Gold Elite or the parts necessary to turn a Witness into a hot rod Open gun.

Rich

The barrel and comp kit is not really drop-in, the barrel needs to be fitted to your slide. The cailber conversion kits (fitted barrel and slide) are drop in to the frame. Unfortunately they are not available with a comped barrel. I'm trying to do this but ran out of money. If I get it done, I'll let you know how it works. It sounds like the Gold Team is a better way to go if you can find one, but I have too much invested now.

Went a similar route when I decided to try open. I was able to find an old P9/TZ with both a factory 9x21 top end and a comped 9mm BarSto barreled top end for about $650.

I don't shoot it much but every time I do - I like it. I think I don't shoot it a lot because I've got other guns that work, have big sticks, etc.

But the TZ-EAA route to a cheaper open gun can work out.

PM Jody Waring from this board, he's been shooting the smaller framed guns for quite awhile and is knowledgeable about all the different itterations and compatibilities.

One other difference I forgot to mention is that the Gold Team is assembled and fitted at the factory for its intended purpose (winning Worldshoots, championships, local matches in IPSC & USPSA, etc). You simply cannot expect the same tuning, fitting, and performance out of a conversion, since the tolerances will be greater, the comp rides on the guiderod as noted above, etc.

Another option you might consider is the CZ Champion in 9mm (factory built compensated 9mm SA). My friend Vlad owned own for a time and it was incredibly reliable and accurate, though he ran only limited amounts of 9Major through it. New it was about $1100 - used you can find on gunbroker.

And - it wins steel shoots. Ammerican Handgunner. Angus beat every STI & SV that showed up for that shoot. Granted, its an all minor match, but still a fair win. Pictures of his modified Champion are here: www.ghostholster.com

Edited by Carlos

I just recently installed one of those EAA barrell/comp kits in a small framed Tanfoglio. I had to do a small amount of fitting, and had to ever so slightly sand/polish the barrell to get it to slide freely. I wasn't overly happy with the factory threads, the tolerance seemed a little loose to me, but with loctite it seemed to tighten up nicely. For not having a cone, it thus far seems to lock up really tightly, very minimal movement when the barrel is locked up in battery. I also had to work the included guiderod a bit, as it was binding a bit, but that seems to be cured now. I can't help it, I am a tinkerer, and I couldn't stop there; and I went ahead and milled a slot in the slide and added 4 blow holes (3mm-1/8"). Slowly it comes together, all with minimal investment, mainly my spare time, if it doesn't fit, or feel just right, I like to take the time to make it right. I have pieced together a few guns now, with good success. If you aren't familiar with performing these tasks, maybe a Gold Custom is what you need. In Canada, the Eric Model is selling for over $3000, so until I save enough, my homemade projects will have to get me by :rolleyes:I'll try to post some pics later of the progress, and some of my P9 that I am so proud of. Feel free if there's anything I can help you with, and thanks for referring me Al, I love to help where I can. Cheers All ;)

Edited by Jody Waring

Couple of pics, sorry for the poor quality. The P9 was a graduation gift from my dad in '93. I have built on this frame 3 times, and always doing a little something to make it better. Extremely accurate, functions excellent with major PF ammo, and with 5 blow holes in the barrell, it shoots really flat. Longshot and HS6 have been the best powders I have ever used in my guns. I use 9x21 loaded to 1.150" The black gun is the new project, haven't shot it yet, waiting on a new C-More to mount on my Relic Custom mount. Will update as the gun progresses ;)

post-1046-1173543961.jpg

post-1046-1173544040.jpg

post-1046-1173544561.jpg

post-1046-1173544594.jpg

post-1046-1173544627.jpg

Edited by Jody Waring

I built just what you are talking about, maybe 12 years ago. Mine was in 9mm, worked fine until I wore out the barrel. Then I sent it to EGW and they reworked the slide, fixed the slide to frame fit and added their 6" barrel and triple port comp. I installed a single action trigger and drilled and tapped it for a scope mount and put a PDP2 on it. The gun will shoot groups in the 1" to 1 1/2 inch area all day as long as you do your part. If I had to do it again I would buy the gun and send it to EGW first and not spend the money for the EAA barrel and comp.

Greg

If you were to build one of these guns, rather than buy a race-ready one, I would have to agree- send it to George. I am unsure if EGW still offers a P9-EAA comp, but I am pretty sure a 1911 cone comp can be made to work. If you look at the pic of my chromed P9 in my prior post, the comp on that is pretty much exactly what the builder used on P9/EAA guns as well as 1911's at the time. So if you had a good barrel, you could likely open the slide for a cone and have George use one of his comps on it. EGW sears, etc.. for these guns are some of the best items you can buy for them ;) I have a Nowlin 6" bull barrel that I plan to use when I switch to 9mm, probally over the course of the season.

Old stock :P I myself am looking for more, I'll let you know if I find any. I find them way more comfortable. I have been considering taking one from a CZ and see if I can make it work as I think all I would have to do is re-drill the pin holes as if I remember correctly the CZ holes are smaller. I'll keep you im mind if I find some ;)

Looks like EGW has pulled their P9/EAA comps from theire website. Last time I talked with George about this type of gun back in '99 he didn't have much good to say.

Edited by BrianH

Triple, that is an Angus magwell from Ghostholster.com, it is taking a bit of work to get it to fit, as I am assuming the tolerances between this gun and the CZ are quite different. The magwell on the chrome P9 is one that I made myself, I hope I never need to make another as it was probally the hardest piece that I have ever made <_<

Edited by Jody Waring