Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! My Taurus 92 Locked Up.

IPSCDRL

I was at the range last night running some drills with my Taurus PT92. At the end of a string of fire, I unloaded and dropped the hammer but when I went to load it again, I could not retract the slide more than a few mm. I swung down the takedown lever but the slide will only move forward of the battery position about 2mm. What gives? I've removed the grip panels and can not see anything preventing it from opening up.

How do I get this thing apart? :blink:

I something like that happen to me during my USNR qualifications with a Beretta. The lugs sheared off the barrel and the gun locked up solid.

Hope it's not that case for you.

The barrel isn't bulged, is it?

I don't think so.

I had just taken the slide off to show someone how easy it was. When I went to slip the slide back on the frame, it would not go all the way on. There is a small lever-like thin piece of metal that had toggled up from the frame that was preventing the slide from going all the way back. I remembered running into this once before. (I rarely use this pistol)

I simply pushed the slide forward a little and pushed the piece down so it was flush with the top of the frame and the slide was then able to go all the way on and everything was fine. I ran a couple mags of ammo through it after putting it back together. :blink::blink:

Edited by IPSCDRL

A friend of mine shot a Taurus 92 for years putting many 1000's of rounds thru it. One thing I remember was a part he called a "locking block" ?? breaking over time. Not sure if that's the correct name or not, but other than that I don't recall many problems. In the early 90's he had one as a racegun, comp, Tasco PDP3... was cool at the time.

Bingo Jody. I finally coaxed it apart last night and sure enough, the locking block has broken.

As Jamie on Mythbusters would say, "Well, there's your problem right there." :o:D

post-924-1173446139.jpgpost-924-1173446153.jpgpost-924-1173446165.jpg[attac

ment=8112:attachment]post-924-1173446187.jpg

post-924-1173446177.jpg

Exactly what happened to the Beretta I mentioned. I didn't get the nomenclature right.

Yep, same failure Nemo. I guess it is not too rare on Berettas or the Taurus clones. I had just run a full magazine (33 rounds) of mixed 9mm through it as fast as I could pull the trigger. :o:lol: After I ULSC was when it locked. I had to shake and roll the pistol around to get the piece to fall into just the right place in order for it to come apart.

BTW Nemo, sorry to hear about your name-sake. :ph34r:

post-924-1173454829.jpg :lol:

I can't tell you how many locking blocks I've replaced on .mil M9 Beretta's. There are two styles of locking blocks, the original has sharp, square (90 degree) inside corners of the block's feet. The newer style, which is just as prone to fail, has the inside corners radiused.

For any of you 92 clone, or 92 owners you should inspect the locking block feet for cracks every 500 rounds. If you can, have them magnafluxed. If not, use magnification and a bright light. Replace your recoil spring often as well. If you every see it cracked, deadline the gun until you can get a new part installed. I've seen frames completely ruined from a locking block that let go.

...and the M9 outperformed the Sig during the bid process many years ago.

So I guess there is a new spare parts item that will find its way into your rangebag :P Glad you found the problem. I was unaware of how common this was, but if I recall correctly, a former Taurus shooter here gave a Beretta shooter here one of his blocks, and it fit the Beretta nicely. Good luck ;)

To put it in perspective: the old "weak" locking blocks performed well enough that the M9 qual units averaged over 30,000 rounds fired before major failure (unrepairable in the field).

The old lugs can fail..... mine probably has >20k rounds on it, no cracks.

If you are worried, pitch it and get one of the new "stronger" ones which are less prone to crack.

I can't tell you how many locking blocks I've replaced on .mil M9 Beretta's. There are two styles of locking blocks, the original has sharp, square (90 degree) inside corners of the block's feet. The newer style, which is just as prone to fail, has the inside corners radiused.

I thought the field data on them showed they lasted longer?

I talked to some guys that shoot their M9's a bit. One shooter installed a new locking block in the morning, cracked it by the afternoon. There are some other issues that lead to this as well, but I've seen the new style fail quite often. I don't know if they changed the metalurgy in them or not. I do know they radiused the inside corner to reduce the stress on that area. Quite frankly, it just made it easier to spot the cracks once they got bad enough to see with the naked eye. That's just what I've found though.

Once you crack a locking block, my advice would be to change out the recoil spring and barrel. The area of the barrel that the LB sits in also wears and opens up a gap. That is if the round count is getting up there.

Do the Taurus' hammer pins have an enlarged head on the left side under the grip panel? Similar to the M9's after the modification work order?

It seems to be a common breakage point and I replaced them around 3-6K of ammo. I do think their lifespan is directly related to the recoil spring and how often you change them though.... ;) This is after working on over 35 guns as an armorer....

DougC

Time to cut loose and buy an SV!!!

Sandy would fix that for you if it was his gun...

I'm sure he would. More likely he would try to redesign so as to avoid it braking in the first place.

I called Taurus International and they said to send them the broken one, and they would send me a new part free of charge. I would have been happier if they simply said "No problem, we'll send you a new one right away." like some vendors (Dillon) do. ;)

Broken block mailed to Miami March 10 2007. We'll see how long it takes to get the new one. ;)

want2race wrote:

notthisagain2RS.jpg

Come on people! Mechanical things break! The Beretta met and past the DoD's criteria, and this was more than 20 years ago. Some have far exceeded the criteria too. So can we really pitch a fit when they go kaputt?

Just let it go, all ready!

Are you still driving a car you bought 20 years ago?

Obviously the military still isn't using the plain ol' M16 w/ the unlined barrels, now is it? Things evolve over time. Yeah, everyone was mad as heck when they switched from a 7.62 caliber gun made of iron and wood to a jam-o-matic made out of plastic and aluminum that shot a mousey caliber.

Okay, but given the context of your thread I interpreted it as a slam against Beretta and that Sig should have won the contract.

(slight drift on)

If Sig or whoever had won the contract and it was still chambered in 9mm, we'd still be hearing all the moaning over it (whether a Sig, S & W, Beretta, or Colt) just because of the negative impressions people have of the 9mm.

(drift off)

Trust me, I'm on enough forums, that anytime the word "Beretta" and "military" are used in the same thread I want to go grab a K-pot, a flak jacket, a Nomex suit, a gas mask and some hip waders.

I seem to do alright w/ my Beretta 96 here in these videos:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tack...am+productions+

(pardon the shameless plug for my vids)

Well its been two weeks with no word from Miami so I decided to call them and inquire as to my new locking block. Seems I have been placed on a "backorder" log because they don't currently have any locking blocks in stock. :angry:

ME: "Can you please tell me when you are expecting to get some?" I asked.

Taurus:"I don't know". :angry:

ME:"Do you have any idea? Will it be next week? Next month? A year?" :(

Taurus:"I have no idea, they are coming from Brazil" :angry:

Great! A lifetime warranty means nothing if you can't get the parts/service you need.

• 2 months later...
And that is why I sold my Tauri long ago...No customer service!

Topic started March 8th. Its now June 4th and after ariving home from a week away I find that Taurus has still dome NOTHING!. :angry2:

Gonna call again today and ask if this is related to that "lifetime" part of the warranty. :blink: