Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunbroker Auction Site Weirdness...

The Gunbroker site is pretty cool, but it sure seems like there's a high signal-to-noise ratio, and some really odd listing and bidding behaviors. Reminds me of eBay, way back when....

Some things that truly baffle me:

1) Bid of $200 (which will be the only bid) on a new STI with a Buy-it-Now price of $1800, or something, and a reserve. I see this regularly.

2) A listing of some 80's-era pistol with a grainy, out-of-focus photo, and a crude description: "I built this gun. Runs good." And a price tag of like THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS.

3) My favorite -- listings with a blatantly misleading title designed for maximum search hits. A poor practice, but regardless: saw an STI Trubor with the title "NOT GLOCK KIMBER..." So aside from pissing folks off with this description, what does the seller imagine will happen? "Well, I was looking for a cheap Glock 19, but for only two thousand one hundred dollars more, I decided to buy this here scope gun."

I could possibly see the logic of "NOT SVI..." but who's going to buy a freakin' Trubor when they're looking for a Glock or Kimber??

Strange. I'm sure good bargains do exist on that site, though -- has anyone really had a positive purchase on a used competition gun, there?

I have never understood the "reserve" thing it makes no sence to me at all. Especially since on Ebay you pay extra for reserve. You can have a starting bid price without paying extra, and it's not for secrecy because most of the time the reserve price is listed in add,

Boo, on the $200 bid on an $1800 gun I am pretty sure it has to do with the reserve.

Say you are selling a gun and really want $1800 but don't want any less than say $1300, you would set up your auction up with a $1300 reserve (which can't been seen) and a buy now price of $1800. As a buyer I know you want $1800 but also know that you will take less because you have a reserve. How much less you are willing to take I have no idea.

If I bid $1500 and your reserve is $1300 and I am the only bidder I have just paid $200 more than I really had to get the gun. Most of these online auctions allow the seller to contact the highest bidder after the auction closes to try and haggle a deal. If I have no idea what you want I bid $200 which is well below the reserve and wait to see if you contact me. That way I can negotiate a better price.

Boo, on the $200 bid on an $1800 gun I am pretty sure it has to do with the reserve.

Say you are selling a gun and really want $1800 but don't want any less than say $1300, you would set up your auction up with a $1300 reserve (which can't been seen) and a buy now price of $1800. As a buyer I know you want $1800 but also know that you will take less because you have a reserve. How much less you are willing to take I have no idea.

If I bid $1500 and your reserve is $1300 and I am the only bidder I have just paid $200 more than I really had to get the gun. Most of these online auctions allow the seller to contact the highest bidder after the auction closes to try and haggle a deal. If I have no idea what you want I bid $200 which is well below the reserve and wait to see if you contact me. That way I can negotiate a better price.

That is a very interesting observation. I never thought to look at it from that angle.

Good info, thanks

My only complaint is that that if I have something I want to sell, there are about a hundred of them selling at 3 for a nickel. If I want to buy something, you can't find one for less than three grand.

In all seriousness, I've had pretty good success buying and selling on gunbroker (if you count "success" as buying several guns for which I had no need). I never messed around with the "Reserve" nonsense. I just start the bidding at the lowest price I'll take.

My best buys on gunbroker have been on new guns.... usually much lower than local shops even after shipping and and FFL fee. Used competition guns usually are very high on gunbroker, for some reason, even if they are junk. Every ONCE in a while you see some good deals on stuff, but you have to get lucky.

I do much better on the USPSA and BE.com classifieds, if I'm looking for or selling a used competition gun. Thanks Brian!!!

Now, if you have some accessories, holsters, mags, etc, people pay some silly money on Ebay for stuff.

I purchased a Dawson Signiture Limited Gun on that site for $1200 a couple of years ago. I was the only bidder because the gun was listed as a Dawson.

Wow...that's a fantastic deal, Doug. Good catch !

I think I got my first G35 and a G17 off of GB (both of which have seen a 'little bit" of competition use :) ).

I purchased a Dawson Signiture Limited Gun on that site for $1200 a couple of years ago. I was the only bidder because the gun was listed as a Dawson.

Wow...that's a fantastic deal, Doug. Good catch !

I think I got my first G35 and a G17 off of GB (both of which have seen a 'little bit" of competition use :) ).

Indeed! Do a search now on GB for "Dawson." There's an old Dawson 1911 there for $3800, and a LTD gun for $3500.

:blink:

That's a good point on entering a low bid, to show interest, but...that low?? I mean if you're listing a gun for $2100, say, I'd be a lot more inclined to start looking for an email address, for someone who bid $1800, but didn't meet the reserve, than say....$180. :)