Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll, Holster Rule Enforcement

Dennis Sherman

Question 2 is misleading. A "3/4" rod" is neither necessary nor possible if the holster is compliant or grossly non-compliant. I personally performed equipment checks at the Natl's and at least (1) holster was found to be out of compliance. I don't recall which penalty (FTDR or DQ) Mr. May issued.

The rule was made necessary by the same contigent who resisted it - and it is good.

Edited by Bones

As a major match MD, I can tell you that it is fairly quick and easy to check holsters for "light thru the crack" and general holster legality. My 3/4" wood dowel is available, but seldom used. If the holster meets the first two criteria, it most likely passes the 3/4" rule.

I prefer to do the check before competition starts, so the shooter can go fix a problem, then get rechecked. My preference is to not issue FTDR's if possible. Once competition begins, then violations must be a FTDR, IMO.

Bones,

The process in question 2 is a method in the IDPA rulebook which could be used to determine if a holster is compliant. (the book says object, not rod, my bad) My goal in the question was to gain an idea of how many people shooting IDPA Sanctioned Matches have seen this process being practiced.

Dennis

Question 2 is misleading. A "3/4" rod" is neither necessary nor possible if the holster is compliant or grossly non-compliant. I personally performed equipment checks at the Natl's and at least (1) holster was found to be out of compliance. I don't recall which penalty (FTDR or DQ) Mr. May issued.

The rule was made necessary by the same contigent who resisted it - and it is good.

Edited by Dennis Sherman

here's another question along the lines of the topic...

i was at a state match in 04,all shooters were finished,waiting on scores,the club had a side match going on in one match bays...took a part from the stage and made a side match out of it..$5.00 for 6 shots,no concealment required,fastest time wins...so after watching from a distance and seeing several shooters go thru ...i heard a rather loud discussion going on between the SO's and a shooter, then about 15 minutes later,found out the shooter got DQ'd from the match for an equiptment failure..the holster was a doh type...never did inquire about the make....so is that legal?? does this fall into 1 hr wait period? i know at that match,we went thru 5 or 6 equipment checks during the match...so does this mean to "strip"off equipment as soon as possible ? :ph34r:

Edited by GmanCdp

here's another question along the lines of the topic...

i was at a state match in 04,all shooters were finished,waiting on scores,the club had a side match going on in one match bays...took a part from the stage and made a side match out of it..$5.00 for 6 shots,no concealment required,fastest time wins...so after watching from a distance and seeing several shooters go thru ...i heard a rather loud discussion going on between the SO's and a shooter, then about 15 minutes later,found out the shooter got DQ'd from the match for an equiptment failure..the holster was a doh type...never did inquire about the make....so is that legal?? does this fall into 1 hr wait period? i know at that match,we went thru 5 or 6 equipment checks during the match...so does this mean to "strip"off equipment as soon as possible ? :ph34r:

If I'm not mistaken, the holster was the (approved) Safariland 560 and the shooter merely used the spacers that came with the holster.

The only thing I am looking for as far as holsters go are the "extreme" violators. The Uncle Mike's and the Blade Tech DOH fall into this group. Hell will freeze and pigs will fly before I stick a 3/4" rod between someone's body and holster.

I have a couple of holsters that you can see daylight in the tunnel yet are easily within the 3/4" rule. Here's one of them.

Joyce Wilson and I had a couple of pretty "lively" conversations about the holster rule when she was gathering info for the new rule.

post-1058-1173531397.jpg