Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Ord. P18-9

JRD83

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone shooting a Para for open? I've seen the P18-9 and they seem like a very sturdy gun to build off of, And also wondering if anyone has worked one upto 9mm major with factory barrel.

I shoot a Para Open gun that was originally built as a 38 Super in 1996. It started as the gunsmith frame. In 2005, I switched it to 9mm and love it.

I also have a Para P18-9mm. I can shoot the same Major 9 ammo out of it with the factory barrel. I take it as a backup just in case my open gun goes down in a match. Same mags and pouches and just adjust the nose on the CR Speed holster. All I do to the P18 when I shoot the major loads is change the recoil spring to a 15 lb.

Now if you want an open gun, you will want a comp and the factory barrel probably isn't going to do you much good for that.

One idea is to get the P18 and then just build a comped top end with something like a Doctor sight on the slide to switch out when you want to shoot open.

Is anyone shooting a Para for open? I've seen the P18-9 and they seem like a very sturdy gun to build off of, And also wondering if anyone has worked one upto 9mm major with factory barrel.

I shoot a Para Open gun that was originally built as a 38 Super in 1996. It started as the gunsmith frame. In 2005, I switched it to 9mm and love it.

I also have a Para P18-9mm. I can shoot the same Major 9 ammo out of it with the factory barrel. I take it as a backup just in case my open gun goes down in a match. Same mags and pouches and just adjust the nose on the CR Speed holster. All I do to the P18 when I shoot the major loads is change the recoil spring to a 15 lb.

Now if you want an open gun, you will want a comp and the factory barrel probably isn't going to do you much good for that.

One idea is to get the P18 and then just build a comped top end with something like a Doctor sight on the slide to switch out when you want to shoot open.

A coned comp works perfectly on a factory barrel.

Form past experience I would not use a serindipity, but rather a single side mount with a slide ride C-more.

In hindsight I would not have built a para open gun.

I agree with both of your points. They are better, if give the choice. Wouldn't they be more expensive though?

Check out the EGW site for the Hiett mount. It mounts to the frame just above the left grip panel where the real meat of the frame is located. It requires the plunger tube be removed but this is a much stronger mount than a Serendipity.

Attached is a picture of my Para with a Tasco PDP3. The mount is also available for a Weaver, or if you give them a few weeks, they can mill it to fit a C-More Slideride.

Bill

My Serindipity has been on my Para since 1996 with no cracking of the frame. The gun survived years of shooting during the 175PF days.

The Para may have a thinner dust cover than the STI but that doesn't mean it doesn't make a good open gun. The Serindipity is actually a better choice for the Para than the single side mounts when mounting to the dust cover because it is lighter weight and spreads the weight and bearing surface between both sides instead of just one.

It's a personal preference which platform to build on, not that one is better than the other. I personally like the feel and weight of the Para better and I don't need spacers and tweaking for my 9mm mags to work. On the other hand, I like the fact that STI makes 140 and 170mm tubes and don't require extended basepads to get the added rounds. STI also has a bigger assortment of specialized parts so you can trick one to your specs easier.

Gary,

What Open gun platforms do you have good success with? (...what do you like best to build on?)

STI slide and frame is the best with an aluminum side mount and slide ride sight.

STI slides and frames are machined very precisely and perfect results can be had. If you get a bald slide, you can machine it anyway you like for a true custom job. The only down side, is that they weigh a bit more and require more machining to lighten up.

With a factory Para, you don't know what you will get. Sometimes they are machined OK. But, often things can be off and will require extra fitting to get them to work. And with the slide being finished, with sight cuts and serrations; you are limited to what custom work that can be done to them. Also, most of the internal parts are of poor quality and should be replaced. So, I don't know if it is really worth trying to make a racegun out of a factory Para.

If you like the feel of the Para, it is best to get an oversize gunsmith frame. Then fit an STI slide to it. Now you have a better platform to work from.

As far as sights go. I like the aluminum side mount so that you can tighten up the mounting screws good. Then us a slide ride C-More. If you are going to use this setup on a thin frame, then it is imperative that the drilling and tapping be done precisely for best results. And you will need to keep and eye on the screws for tightness. A Serendipity may be a better choice on the thin frames as far as the frame mounting holes go. The problem with the Serendipity, is that the mounting holes in the sight body often break.