Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Heart/surgery

I have recently been diagnosed with a bad mitral heart valve. The doc's say that there is no choice but to replace it with a mechanical one. My question is: How long can I reasonably expect to be out of the game (I am 51), just got my A card in open, am I toast now? Will I ever get to a competitive level again? I would love to hear from some of you out there that have been through this! TIA

P.S. I have two more weeks of I.V. anti-biotics and then the replacement.

abs,

January 22nd of '06 I had 4 bypasses done on my heart at the age of 52. I got into an exercise rehab program and went back to work the first week of March (mostly desk work) and shot my first match the second Saturday of March and the Alabama State match March 24th. I wasn't up to speed, but I was shooting again!!!

I can't speak to the Mytral valve replacement, but working within your doctors recommendations, you can recover as fast as you desire. I believe exercise is the key to getting your strength back. Listen to your body, it will tell you what to do.

Good luck to you.

Keep us posted.

dj

Edited by dajarrel

The heart repair is not bad at all!! What hurts and takes soo long to heal, is when they split the sternum ( some call it the breasbone ).

My surgery was 12-14-06 Today I shot my first match, it was a steel match. All stand and shoot and I did not shoot well. It did not hurt, a little uncomfortable, but it was fun!!

Every day is better than the one befor, it may take 6 months to be 100% ? I dont know yet.

Kevin

I.V.'s at home suck, mine was 5 hours a day

Edited by blue edge

As much as you're able, within the limitations of the valve problem, get yourself in the best shape possible BEFORE surgery -- physically & mentally. Having a really positive attitude, having a specific post-op goal, and doing everything you can in cardiac rehab (yes, the sternotomy hurts, use the pain meds) will optimize your recovery.

You'll re-learn the draw motion (your chest muscles will hurt, too), before you dry fire, before you live fire. Don't get too impatient, reward yourself for small steps of progress.

Good luck, let us hear from you once you're up & around. Sounds like you have lots of friends here who have been through the same thing.

As much as you're able, within the limitations of the valve problem, get yourself in the best shape possible BEFORE surgery -- physically & mentally. Having a really positive attitude, having a specific post-op goal, and doing everything you can in cardiac rehab (yes, the sternotomy hurts, use the pain meds) will optimize your recovery.

You'll re-learn the draw motion (your chest muscles will hurt, too), before you dry fire, before you live fire. Don't get too impatient, reward yourself for small steps of progress.

Good luck, let us hear from you once you're up & around. Sounds like you have lots of friends here who have been through the same thing.

This is how stressed I was 1 hour befor going into surgery

untitled.bmp

Edited by blue edge

I'll add my 2 cents. Having spent 1 month in hospital recovering from a busted leg, the worst part is the post-operative boredom. I was confined to bed for three weeks. Book reading became a necessity, either that or smother myself with a pillow to escape the tedium.

You're in good shape physically, so recovery should be rapid, but my advice is not to think about getting back into shooting for 3 months. Don't think about how long that is, just go through one day at a time, don't think about that 3 month deadline cos it'll drive you nuts...

Get yourself some books (I have tons at home if you need to borrow some, plus some DVDs), take it easy and just let your body heal properly. You can look forward to shooting mid June when it's nice and warm and not bloody freezing like it is now...

Ask your doctor about the increased possibility of suffering a stroke after heart surgery.

In January last year my mom, at 66, had the same surgery you plan to have. She got brand spankin' new St. Jude valve installed. She had two minor strokes 6 and 8 weeks after the surgery and in November 7 had a major one. Now from been a super grandma, she's bed ridden and her mind is gone.

Ask all the questions and get all the info you can about Coumadin. My mom lived with a bad valve for 30 years before she decided to go under the knife.

EDITED TO ADD: Abs, whatever you decide to do, I wish you have a swift recovery and that your choice gives you many, many more years of healthy life. Please let me know when you'll go to surgery, so I can set aside a small special spot for you in my prayers.

Edited by Nemo

Ask your doctor about the increased possibility of suffering a stroke after heart surgery.

In January last year my mom, at 66, had the same surgery you plan to have. She got brand spankin' new St. Jude valve installed. She had two minor strokes 6 and 8 weeks after the surgery and in November 7 had a major one. Now from been a super grandma, she's bed ridden and her mind is gone.

Ask all the questions and get all the info you can about Coumadin. My mom lived with a bad valve for 30 years before she decided to go under the knife.

All mechanical valves carry a significant risk of growing clots which can breal loose and travel.

I would also advise asking about the porcine (pig) valve as it is very widely used and (I have read) doesn't tend to clot as much as a mechanical valve.

Having to wait for IV therapy probably doesn't help much either. I was fortunate ???? in that Wednesday I had an EKG,Thursday a Nuclear Stress test, Friday was a Heart Cath and Saturday morning at 7:00 I was getting ready for surgury.

I say I was fortunate because I didn't have to wait and dwell upon my upcoming surgery.

Good luck again

dj

edited because I can't spel

Edited by dajarrel