Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Tooth Devices

Ted Murphy

I never said I didn't hate my cell phone ;-) What it has done to my life staggers me when I think back on how much calmer things were before instant access put the electronic leash around my neck 24/7. The pager was the beginning of the end of personal privacy when away from the office :-(

For the past few hudred years or more the have had a device quite similar to the cell phone........It's a little Iron ball attached to a chain attached to your ankle :D:blink::lol:

yeah, I hate the idea that the simpler life is gone.

When I was a kid, we had one phone number for Mom, Dad, my brother and myself and no computer. If someone was at home and answered it, well that was good.

Today, for my family of three, we have four cell phones, one land line six computers with two or three email addresses each and.....an answering machine.

I'm scared to think what the next 10 years may bring.

dj

Nobody likes to talk to me so I don't have this... uh... "problem." Not being important has its advantages. As for people standing around and talking to thin air, I see that every day at work and am quite conditioned to it by now. I have never been too concerned about what kind of cell phone I use or what kind of ring tone it has or how it dangles from my belt. When I go out the most important piece of equipment on my belt is my revolver, and I figure if I need to use it in an emergency I'll get all the attention I need.

Dave Sinko

... is there one Platronics model you prefer?

The Voyager 510 seems to be pretty popular. It has amplification and a noise cancelling microphone. The button on the side allows you to answer calls without having to work the phone.

I have the 340, I really like it!!

http://pl.factoryoutletstore.com/flyer/729...plorer_340.html

Y

Here is my take on choosing one of these beasties to live with.

I have the Plantronics Discovery 645 now

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/e...035/prod5520016

Had the 640 at first cause I thought $120 was better than $170, but I was wrong! The 640 does not have the noise cancelling circuitry and weighs 10 grams to the 645's 9 grams and sports incredibly better audio quality. I am really glad I did not get an even cheaper one after finding out from my friends who scrimped how heavy and uncomfortable they get when they get under a hunnert bux ;-/

As much as I use these suckers, it absolutely has to be comfortable and sound as good as the phone itself, or why bother. A few less bux does not translate to being worth it when choosing this type of product. If you need one of these, don't scrimp, it's not worth it.

If you don't really need one, then you deserve the cheap ones ;-)

BTW, talking on a cellphone while driving without some sort of hands-free device is about as smart as running with scissors through a crowd! I know this cause I used to do the one handed traffic dance all the time and in retrospect am appalled at how unsafe it really was :-(

BTW, BTW, Newegg has the 645 for $65.99 nowadays. I paid full retail for both of mine a year ago when they were new products (a 640 and then a 645 3 weeks later after realizing how much better the DSP enabled one was).

Dorking looking maybe?

They ought to be mandantory. Why? I can't tell you how many people I see driving (if you can call it driving) with a fraken (Battlestar G language :D ) cell phone stuck to their ear. They can't make a turn in their own lane, they sit at fraken green lights long after they turn green, and they drive like they are drunk!

Holding a cell phone to your ear while driving on a Department of Defense installation is illegal. So the earbuds are great for us military.

Second, earbuds are awesome while driving. Does not seem to be near the distraction and much safer.

Everthing has it's place. Cell phones should not be used in bathrooms (can you guess why? :D ), nor the dinner table, movies, or while doing the wild thing (some times they don't hangup and leave messages on the home answering machine :lol: ), get the idea? I did not make up the "doing the wild thing" either. A bunch of us heard the answering machine.

I highly recomment the NOKIA bluetooth earbud. The sound is better than any cell phone and it works with many phones and for those of you who like you tunes on you phone, it is stereo. In addition, it is so light you harldly know it is there and does not glow BLUE! :D

I really like the Logitech BT unit that has their special 'windstop' hard foam stuff on it. That works really well in windy environments.

I have the same one. I wish I could turn the volume up a bit more, and it hurts my ear if I have to use for a longer period of time, like say 10 min. ;)B)

I have a Plantronics, my Motorola one broke in under 6 months, they replaced it but I liek the Plantronics better!!

How's the Jawbone?? at $120 it was a bit over my budget :(

Y

Jawbone is the shizzle but then I'm on the phone pretty much all day as a Realtor. I use it with the new Cingular 8525. One thing I'll point out to anyone looking at the IPhone or 8525 is that there is no tactile buttons so you can pretty much forget dialing while driving down the road. 8525 is also awesome but WAY overkill unless you're a road warrior.

• 2 weeks later...
So can you answer on these headsets without actually working the handset? :huh: I already stand around talking loudly to myself so that part is nothing new...... :wacko:

I'm sure you can. My phone, which is not bluetooth, answers automatically when hooked to a wired earphone/microphone. I would be very surprised if the bluetooth capable phones don't have a similar feature.

Lee

They all allow answering either automatically, or by just tapping a button the earpiece. Tap to disconnect, tap twice to re-dial, hold for one mississippi to make a voice dial call. I never use the handset except to dial a specific number that isn't programmed for voicedial.