Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Murphy!

zhunter

Today was my Florida Open, I shot the one day format. Due to my work schedule, this was my biggest match of the year.

I practiced long and hard with Eric ( Dirtypool40 ) Stanley, lost of tough practice, long shots on partials to get ready. I was mentally and physically prepared.

I noticed that when loading my ammo that my primers were a little high, so I made sure to give my 650 a REALLY firm stroke to the seat the primers all the way. They were still a little high, but only a VERY small amount.

Yeah, you now know where this is going.

VERY cold by Florida Standards, upper 40's low 50's most of the day. I had concerns about my gun, I had never shot in weather this cold before. So it was new terrain. I oiled my .45 SS very well last night, knowing it was going to be cold.

So....

First stage, the beep goes off, and so do I, but about 7 times I got light hits that did not ignite the primer, so it was a slow going stage for sure. I did not get rattled, made sure I got all my hits and persevered.

So, we got out some oil, a bit thinner oil for colder weather, and prepared for stage 2, which in my case was stage 10.

Same sh!t, different stage.

I once again got the hits, but it was again VERY SLOW. Pretty much ruined my match right there!!

I went over and found Derek of Millennium Custom, explained the problem, showed him my ammo. He agreed it was a light strike due to high primers, and put an extended Firing pin.

YEAH BABY!!!!

On the last 8 stages, it only happened 3 more times, so it was all good after that. Still messed up my Open, but it was a great time. Shot on a great squad and had lots of laughs.

We discussed the reason for the high primers all day, and one of the guys thought it might be the shell plate that was a bit loose and was not allowing the primer to seat all the way. So I drive home, lots of time to think about it as the drive was 1 1/2 hours. GO STRAIGHT to the press, tighten the shell plate a bit, made sure it indexed smoothly and started to load some ammo.

BINGO!!!!

Ammo is fine............. NOW!!!!!

OH well, I learned 2 lessons today.

1) I will NEVER have another pistol WITHOUT an extended firing pin.

2) Give me 650 a check-up more often!!!

As the saying goes, " Live and learn".

:wacko:

Sorry to hear about your woes zhunter...though I'm glad to hear that you had a good time with your friends.

VERY cold by Florida Standards, upper 40's low 50's most of the day. I had concerns about

You will have to forgive me...I can't feel my toes due to the sub-zero heatwave we're having here :P

About 45 seconds before i saw your post, I checked the temps for tomorrow morning at the match site. supposed to be 30 degrees at 7:00 am, which is first shot!!!

Dayum, that is cold for Florida. It is supposed to be 38 here tonight, and that is in West Palm Beach, which is WAY south and near the ocean.

Yikes!!!

And Number 3) Never use untested ammo. ;)

Good point, but it had been working fine!!! I am assuming it just got to the point, the loosening of the shell plate, that they were not firing.

Like I said, it is a learning experience every day!!! :(

Don't ever trust ammo w/ primers that appear high ;) BTDT.... sorry it bit you on the big match, man... If the primers even smell high (<_<), the ammo goes in the practice ammo bucket....

Sometimes, the lessons are best learned that way, though... I know you won't make those mistakes again, that's for damn sure!!! :lol:

Don't ever trust ammo w/ primers that appear high ;) BTDT.... sorry it bit you on the big match, man... If the primers even smell high (<_<), the ammo goes in the practice ammo bucket....

Sometimes, the lessons are best learned that way, though... I know you won't make those mistakes again, that's for damn sure!!! :lol:

OH so true.

OK, I am gonna go get warm. Jumpin' in the hot tub. :D

Gotta take advantage of the few really cold night we have here in South Florida. Current temp is....... 53 degrees.

That's why I recommend, as a safety precaution, to buy and use plastic ammo boxes.

Don't just dump your loaded rounds in a box.

When you stick your ammo in the plastic ammo boxes, it only takes 10 seconds to quickly run your fingertip over the headstamps.

Then if you want to save the brass, spend another 10 seconds w/ a sharpie or a Marks-a-Lot marker to stripe the headstamps.

(I prefer using a hosercam type brass marking device to put circumferential stripes around the case. It is slow, but it gives me another chance to handle my ammo and make sure everything is good before I run 'em through my gun.)

The other thing about the plastic ammo boxes is that when they are all projectile end down, it makes it easy to see if any bullets are loaded long or short.

Plastic ammo boxes = cheap insurance against match hiccups and KABOOMS!