Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers For 45acp?

ChrisMcCracken

Nobody is willing to comment on the difference between fed #150 and #155 or offer an alternate light strike primer?

Would small rifle work? Since I've never had them in hand, I'm exactly sure what distinguishes small from large or pistol from rifle with regard to primer shape, size, or function.

If powder valley doesn't have what I need, I'll likely buy small quantities locally.

The magnum primers have both a different priming formulation and a different cup thickness. The thicker cup may affect ignition reliability (but likely they will fire okay), but the different priming compound will change the ballistics of the load.

Small rifle primers will not work in the 45 Auto normally, unless you are using some of the NT cases that use small primer pockets.

Large rifle primers are not usable as they are taller than large pistol primers, requiriung a deeper primer pocket.

Even though you may prefer Federal larege pistol, if they are unavailable I think it would be better to go with a different large pistol primer than anything else. So, if they have Winchester, CCI or such avaialble, go with thatr over the magnum pistol or any rifle primers.

In any component switch, it is prudent to re-develop the load, starting low and working up.

Guy

The MagTech primers also seem to be a good alternative and they are cheaper. I think your Glock shouldn't have a prblem with those or the Winchesters. The worked up revolvers are more sensitive to primer cup hardness.

I've had a problem with light strikes in the past using WWB, prompting me to use a stronger striker spring, the 28 newton red factory spring to be specific. I will likely switch back with handloads.

Thanks for the explanation, Guy; it was very helpful.

I'll consider the magtechs; thanks, Nemo.

Chris

Looking on powder valley, they're sold out of Federal #150 Large Pistol primers. Is it ok to get the Federal #155 Large Pistol Mag primers? Whats the difference between the two?

I'm looking for a light striking primer to use with Clays in my G30.

Thanks!

I take it you're using a reduced striker spring? If so, as you know, Federal large pistol is the way to go. If you're using the stock striker spring, you'll be fine with Winchester. You'll get fail to fires using Winchesters and the reduced power striker spring (I know first hand from my G30).

Bronson7

Looking on powder valley, they're sold out of Federal #150 Large Pistol primers. Is it ok to get the Federal #155 Large Pistol Mag primers? Whats the difference between the two?

Thanks!

I take it you're using a reduced striker spring? If so, as you know, Federal large pistol is the way to go. If you're using the stock striker spring, you'll be fine with Winchester. You'll get fail to fires using Winchesters and the reduced power striker spring (I know first hand from my G30).

Bronson7

Acutally, I'm using one of the red factory springs, 28 newtons, due to some fail to fires with WWB when I was using the stock spring. I would like to go back to the stock spring or to a reduced spring, so the Federal's are pretty much my only choice from the way it sounds.

Chris

Chris, In my limited experience with Fed's magnum primers they are as sensitive as the reg primers but give you anywhere from 15 to35 fps more due to being a little hotter. I know this to be true with the small pistol, but have never used the large magnum primers. If they are decently priced, I would buy them and shoot them, no thinking involved ;)

DougC

Thanks!

Bronson7

Acutally, I'm using one of the red factory springs, 28 newtons, due to some fail to fires with WWB when I was using the stock spring. I would like to go back to the stock spring or to a reduced spring, so the Federal's are pretty much my only choice from the way it sounds.

Chris

Just for grins, put in the stock striker spring, and a heavier recoil spring. There's a chance your light strikes are because the recoil spring is not holding the gun in battery when you pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Erucolindon, there's one more thing you may want to check. Glock revised the trigger bar on the G21 and G30. On some guns, the vertical trigger bar extension wasn't pushing the firing pin safety up far enough. It would go high enough to fire but had just a slight drag; enough to possibly cause a failure to fire. In addition, I believe the trigger bar is also slightly longer in order to pull the striker back just a little further for some added oomph. The new trigger bar is part# 4256-1. Check yours and see if it has it.

Bronson7

Edited by Bronson7

Thanks guys! I've already got a stronger recoil spring, a dual stage recoil reduction spring from Alpha & Omega Gun works, but I'll probably switch back for lighter loads.

My trigger bar is #4256, so I probably have the older bar. I'll look into getting one of the newer ones. That would definitely make a difference.

I appreciate the tips!

Chris

So it turns out gamaliel, powder valley, and midway are all out of federal #150 large pistol primers.

Anyone know of another source?

Edit: Nevermind, I placed an order with T&T. Lets see if they actually have them in stock.

Edited by Erucolindon

FYI; For years Winchester didn't make a Mangum primer if you read on the package it said for standard and magnum ....... I have used Winchester for years because of this it limits my primer inventory. I have used standard winchesters in 300 mag without an issue.

For a source try Mid South shooters supply or Natchez Shooter supply.

Edited by DEADEYE