Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Diy Engine Porting

Scooter

Just saw this posted on another forum about all time favorite displays of idiocy on the internet.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1567770.phtml

Hey guys, please help with my mods gone wrong...

Posted by: Powrd1.8T on 2003-03-19 16:27:03

Account #: 53045

Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis.

Edited by Scooter

I love these types of people, I make money on them all the time.

Had a guy come in with a Subaru that didn't shift right, the trans fluid looked like strawberry milk shake. He had been bragging to us about saving a bunch of money by flushing the coolant himself, he did such a great job that he even pulled the little metal lines off the radiator and put coolant in those too, just to make sure the system was completely full. For those that don't know, the little metal lines are for the transmission fluid cooler that is inside the radiator, so he filled his transmission with coolant. Should have heard his lid pop when we wouldn't warranty his transmission.

I would like to call BS also, but everytime I think I have met the dumbest person in the world experience proves me wrong at some later point. I think that the level of stupidity that some people posess knows no bounds......

I would like to call BS also, but everytime I think I have met the dumbest person in the world experience proves me wrong at some later point. I think that the level of stupidity that some people posess knows no bounds......

Oh I don't call Bs on the stupid really. It'smore that i doubt the audi 1.8 engine could provide amusing behavior throughout that level of abuse. I mean the thing in turbo-charged form can barely tolerate it's own oil plumbing design. They are notorious for sludging up and then the engine dying. 25lbs of sand sounds like a bit more than it could take.

I had a professor who said: "Everytime you design something moron proof they make a better moron."

I can't believe this is real. Well ok I do but that is scary.

As to the only real Audi powerhouse look up a RS 6. I think they were only available 2003 and get this all wheel drive, 450 HP, twin turbo, V8. I know a local Dr that has one with the plates AUDIOS and smokes almost anything at a stoplight.

I had a professor who said: "Everytime you design something moron proof they make a better moron."

The way i heard the quote was "for every new and improved fool-proof item, there is a new and improved fool to go with it."