Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Weight?

pierce195

I have an Springfield MC operator that weights approximately 42.3 ounces on my postal scale with an empty mag. To shoot in USPSA SSD it needs to stay under 43 ounces. What is the best way to take a little weight off my gun to make sure I stay under 43 ounces. I would hate to get to a match and go over weight using a different scale.

I have an Springfield MC operator that weights approximately 42.3 ounces on my postal scale with an empty mag. To shoot in USPSA SSD it needs to stay under 43 ounces. What is the best way to take a little weight off my gun to make sure I stay under 43 ounces. I would hate to get to a match and go over weight using a different scale.

The previous suggestions are good ones. One thing that comes to mind is if the mainspring housing is steel, you can probably find one in aluminum or plastic that will shave a little weight.

Doesn't the MC Operator have an inergrated light rail? If so, I am pretty sure that disqualifies it from competing in the Single Stack Division. I know that is what disqualified my Kimber Warrior.

From the 1/07 rules:

"Pistols with factory installed light rail attachments may be used if the dustcover

is no longer than 3.25 inches when measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front

of the dustcover."

Later,

chuck

• 2 months later...
A friend of mine just went through this with a pair of Les Baer 45s...

I've been through this. I think the best solution would be to buy a Briley aluminum guide rod. That will trim off an ounce- assuming you're shooting a FLGR. Also, when I was playing around with weight, I noticed a huge difference with different grips. Play around with those and you'll lose another .3 ounces. I wouldn't recommend the S&A aluminum magwell. The aluminum is unusually soft. I'm not happy with it. I wished I would have tried something else, but it will save you a lot of weight. (If I remember correctly, it's something like 1.7 oiunces lighter than a regular steel S&A magwell).

Good luck! It's a pain in the ass.