Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Performance Review

Singlestack

Ah Corprate America.

Write your own evaluation, put nothing negative in it then your supervisor puts in every little mis-step and make it sound like each stopped the world and that you are lucky to be employed.

Good luck

I feel your pain.

Ah corporate America.

Write your own evaluation, put nothing negative in it then your supervisor puts in every little mis-step and make it sound like each stopped the world and that you are lucky to be employed.

Good luck

I feel your pain.

I know what you mean, last year my department head did that to me. Then his boss read it and said he disagreed with everything the other person said so he redid it to my own glowing standards...... :lol:

This year's review was just odd, I'm working for the heir apparent (read owners son) and he basically said "good job last year, do you disagree"?? :wacko:

I had one manager who did a hatchet job on me: she would put down one true thing, one bad thing, one true thing, one bad thing...

I disputed this, and she said she always did "balanced" reviews:

She would write one bad thing, one good thing, etc.... apparrently, even if it meant making up the bad stuff.

Edited by bountyhunter

I feel your pain. I spent most of the afternoon writing mine. I spent a morning writing the reviews for 4 of my 5 employees (5th is a proby so on a different review schedule for now) last week. How is it each of them took just over an hour a piece but mine consumed almost three hours and was half as long?

I hate this stupid exercise in futility. It isn't like there are raises on the line or anything.

You should try writting a performance review for the Air Force. If you think someone should be promoted in the future then 2-3 years in advance you make them sound like they can walk on water. After E-7 they need to be able to walk above water without getting their shoes wet. Outstanding means they know how to do the job adequately.

Don't even get me started on Officer below the zone promotions.

You should try writting a performance review for the Air Force. If you think someone should be promoted in the future then 2-3 years in advance you make them sound like they can walk on water. After E-7 they need to be able to walk above water without getting their shoes wet. Outstanding means they know how to do the job adequately.

Don't even get me started on Officer below the zone promotions.

My wife just retired from a CO position in a Navy unit. She had to write a million FITREPs in her time. They are always inflated about 10,000%. I wish I had a nickel for everytime somebody used the phrase:

"Wears his uniform with pride."

What does that even mean? Other guys wear theirs and secretly think it makes their butt look big? :lol:

Somebody published an internal memo about some of the most outrageous stuff ever seen on actual FITREPs. two I remember were:

Under no circumstances should this pilot ever be allowed to fly at altitudes below 10,000 feet.

At the last review, I said this man had hit the bottom of the barrel. Since then, he has broken through the bottom of the barrel and continued to dig.

After writing numerous evals on my staff (not myself) this is what my partners in crime have done. We e-mail each other the evals we write so we have a good amount. Then we cut & paste the names and I have an eval done in record time.

I have come to the conclusion that evals are worthless in the govt sector. Evals cannot be used to fire or promote (in Calif. state service). They do minimally help people on probation, but once they are full time.....forget it. Besides.....nothing in an eval should be a surprise to the employee. If it is a surprise then the supervisor was not doing their job.

After writing numerous evals on my staff (not myself) this is what my partners in crime have done. We e-mail each other the evals we write so we have a good amount. Then we cut & paste the names and I have an eval done in record time.

I have come to the conclusion that evals are worthless in the govt sector. Evals cannot be used to fire or promote (in Calif. state service). They do minimally help people on probation, but once they are full time.....forget it. Besides.....nothing in an eval should be a surprise to the employee. If it is a surprise then the supervisor was not doing their job.

hey ron-that's an old trick-been using it fer many years...

I worked for a privately held company for 18 years after the Air Force and was a supervisor for 10 and we didn't have performance reviews. He also had a policy of not firing anyone because he was worried that his unemployment insurance would go up. He almost never gave raises but gave bigger Christmas bonuses because he didn't have to pay Social Security on bonuses. If it weren't for the unlimited use company car and full no cost medical I doubt I would have stayed as long.