Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the results of yesterday's match and it was just as I predicted. I got beat....and I shot 91.4% of the points available. I'm still not feeling bad about it. I know exactly where I'm at and I'm smiling to myself. :) I'm on my way to the basement to dry fire. ;)

I talked to Shooter Grrl on the phone tonight and she's coming to town in 2 weeks to kick my butt....so I'm planning on some serious dry fire for the next 2 weeks. She's going to use me as a warm up for Open Nationals! :o You go Shooter Grrl!!! :bow:

Sheesh - I did not say that! As a matter of fact, I said just the opposite - that I expect Jane to whoop up on me like I was one of her boys :surprise:

I talked to Shooter Grrl on the phone tonight and she's coming to town in 2 weeks to kick my butt....so I'm planning on some serious dry fire for the next 2 weeks. She's going to use me as a warm up for Open Nationals! :o You go Shooter Grrl!!! :bow:

Sheesh - I did not say that! As a matter of fact, I said just the opposite - that I expect Jane to whoop up on me like I was one of her boys :surprise:

OK, so maybe she didn't say that...however ANYONE who knows Shooter Grrl knows that she is coming to town to compete. I admire and respect her for that. So let's just say...the Midwest Open Girls are both coming to town to kick some Open bootie...hope you guys are ready. :P

Jane,

There in an Action Pistol match this Sunday in Brookston. If you want to get an accuracy tune up, it is the ticket. Lots of 25 and 50 yd shots, 8 runs on the plate racks, 192 rds - yummmy!!!

DP

I'll second Dave's recommendation for Action Pistol ---- nothing else has ever taught me so much about shooting in such a short time......

AP is a really good workout.....

Thanks Dave and Nik for the advice on Action Pistol. Both the hubby and I want to shoot an Action Pistol match, but it's going to have to wait untill after the Indiana State match ;)

Went to the range late this afternoon and got 300 rounds down range.

Group shoot 25, 50,60,70 yds.

My groups were actually the best at 60 yards. I had 8 alphas out of 10 rounds at 60 yds. I had 4 alpha out of 10 rounds at 70 yards. The other interesting thing is that my groups SH at 25 yds are tighter than my 25 yd freestyle groups. I'm going to have to think about that one.

Shooting on the move laterally

Experimented moving laterally while shooting on the move at approximately 10 yds distance.

Strong Hand through ports

Worked on picking up my dot/index using strong hand through a port

Reload transition

Wide targets aprrox 20 yds apart....shooters box 15 yds back. Draw..shoot 2..reload...transition to other target...shoot 2.

Focus was again with correct arm movement.

Bill Drill

Did a 2.19...not sure if that is my best?? I'm ashamed I can't remember. The draw is still to slow to hit my 2 second goal..but I'm getting pretty good control of the gun at high speeds.

I felt a little rushed in practice tonight. We've been gone all day and I didn't get to the range until 7pm. I didn't feel like I had time to really process what I was learning. This Eastern day light savings time is killing me!! It's good that it doesn't get dark until 9:30 at night because you can do more...but it's killing me because I'm NOT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP!! I see a tempurpedic matress in my future :D

As I was laying in bed this morning trying to catch up on my rest, I was thinking about how to decide when to shoot on the move and when to shoot static. It really is a lot to wrap your mind around. I'm one who approaches stages more by feel rather than by mathmatics. I'll look for the way to shoot a stage that I think is the most efficient and most comfortable for me and my skills. My husband can time swingers and figure out what he can take....I do it by feel. As I gain more skills I'm wondering if I need to rely more on mathmatics?

I understand the equation. A+B / C=D Where A=split times, B=time to move from point A to Z, C=points, D= total hit facotr. I know that isn't exactly the equation...but it shows I understand the variables. My brain goes crazy trying to think about this mathmatically because it is so much easier to just shoot a stage the way it feels best. The trouble is when you reach a ceratin level...it's not about skills and comfort anymore...it's about time managment. I can shoot on the move, but my splits may be a little slower and my points a little lower than shooting static and then running. So what do you do?? How do you approach a stage and figure this out without using a calculator and a slide rule? Is there anything I can do in practice to help me figure this out?? I could keep guessing like I'm doing now but I don't think that will get me to the competitive level I'm looking for. Help!

So what do you do?? How do you approach a stage and figure this out without using a calculator and a slide rule? Is there anything I can do in practice to help me figure this out??

As you know, Jane, there's a couple of ways to approach it - I use combinations of them, depending on the stage. I tend to be real analytical by nature, but in practice, I find I perform better if I also approach things from a "feel" perspective, like you're describing. In the end, it all does come from experience - knowing what my limits are, what my standard times for the basic skills are, etc, and then how those things translate into a stage.

As far as shoot on the move distances go, set up some targets, and a wall. Set the wall up parallel to the back of the berm (so, on the 180). Put three or four targets to one side of the wall, and one more target positioned roughly straight behind the wall. Pick a spot several yards to same side of the wall as the group of targets and, say, 7 yards back from the targets, and mark it somehow. Now, what you want to do is start from that spot, engage the group of targets from the side of the wall you are on, and engage the lone target only from the other side of the wall - the idea being that you have to move to the opposite side of the wall to finish the stage ("gaming" this only hurts the value of the drill - we're using minimal props to make set up easy).

Ok, that's the setup. Now, the idea is to work different speeds of shoot on the move on those first targets. Shoot them standing still, then explode to the other side of the wall. Start moving right away and move as fast as you possibly can. Then do things in between. Monitor your hits, and find the speed where you can still shoot As on the targets at that range, and run at that speed a couple of times. Then... move the targets back a few yards and go at it again. You can do one yardage each time you're out and get a feel for it, too. Also, switch sides, as you're movement in each direction may be different.

To apply that in a match - you just have to step off the distance to the targets to know the rough speed that you can move at while engaging those targets. Also, you can devise drills that work movement toward and away targets. You'll begin to know empirically (by the numbers) and by feel exactly how far you can shoot on the move, to what types of targets, and how fast you can move on them.

On moving targets, I find it somewhat useful to know the timings, but I find that I pick things up best by watching the stage move a couple of times, and try to find folks who are similarly skilled to me to watch, if I can. The timings really have a rhythm to them, and much like listening to music rather than reading the sheet music, I get a better read on it by watching it in action, as things are activated dynamically. This just takes experience and having a feel for how fast you can engage things - and how comfortable you are with tight timings. In the end, I'd encourage you to occasionally take risks at local matches on stuff like this, for several reasons. You'll benefit from experiencing the urge to rush through the things leading up to the mover(s), and knowing what that feels like and how to counter it in your stage prep. You'll begin to pick up on the rhythm of things more easily, and learn more about how your abilities on the practice range translate to these situations. You'll really begin to surprise yourself at what you really can do. And, it doesn't hurt to get some "OH S**T" reaction experience under your belt, and be able to adapt to what amounts to a busted plan, and get back on track after you handle the situation. I view local matches as a practice session, generally, so I use them to probe my boundaries - especially when there's no major match imminent on the schedule :)

Finally, when evaluating different ways to run a stage without an obvious solution, I do use a stopwatch (well, my cell phone or my CED7000). I dry fire the stage each way, timing each run with the stopwatch. The key here is to be consistent about how I "engage" each target - I need to try to use roughly the same splits and indexes, etc, on each run, so that I can see the differences in the movements and stage strategies. I do this at full speed. This is not an exact science, obviously, and I don't attempt to guess my real stage times from it. But, if I see a big difference between strategies on the stopwatch, frequently that is a good indication about which way to shoot the stage. Though I'd been aware of doing this, BJ Norris really cemented using this skill for me at the Space City match this year...

In regards to shooting on the move or not. It becomes a question of how long it will take you to get that A moving than it will static. But, more than that it is a question of the stage. Which target (s) are you shooting at, are there no shoots or hard cover, how does the stage flow, how are the rest of the targets in the stage (maybe you can afford to drop a few points for the increased speed), how is the terrain, are you feeling confident enough to do it, etc.

As you can see, there is a lot more to it than math. I think there are almost 4 levels of proficiency in this case.

1: strictly by feel

2: strictly by math

3: math and feel

4: math, feel, and perception / experience

COOL HAND LUKE

"Luke...you've got to get your mind right"

I'm an idiot! I woke up this morning thinking about stuff that I SHOULD NOT BE THINKING about a week before a major match. I can't figure that problem out in 2 practice sessions! To dwell on it is only to erode my confidence. So I'm trying to get my mind right. I've got to take the game I've got RIGHT NOW and shoot that game the best I can. That's going to mean shooting 90% of the points as fast as I can, and doing the body mechanics correctly so I don't lose the dot.

Dave and Jake your posts were right on the money and I thank you very much. After the Indiana State Match I'm going to work on figuring out the movement/static issue.

Remember the scene from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where Gene Wilder (Wille Wonka) opens the door and shows all the kids a colorful room where everything is edible! As a kid I thought that was so cool. The kids didn't know where to start eating. This sport is like that. It's a feast where you can eat as much as you want. I'm going to eat all of it....one bite at a time.

We're going to a match tomorrow which I think is going to help cleanse my mind. I'm hungry to shoot. ;)

I wanted to be the first non family member to congratulate you on the win today. Good job! :cheers:

Thanks Coach! It looks like I beat my mentor today. I have more to say about that but right now I'm speechless. :mellow:

Also, congrats to you today on your apparent win. That Limited gun seems to suit you. ;)

Edited by Calamity Jane

I wanted to be the first non family member to congratulate you on the win today. Good job! :cheers:

Thanks Coach! It looks like I beat my mentor today. I have more to say about that but right now I'm speechless. :mellow:

Also, congrats to you today on your apparent win. That Limited gun seems to suit you. ;)

Congrats CJ. ;)

So, a while back you asked us if we'd gone through something similar, and how it felt?? :) How does it feel?? :D

Now the trap... you may have a tendency next time to think you can just beat your mentor, without the work. I know I went through a bit of that. And then got disappointed when I got my butt kicked again, cause I got lazy at the match. The answer to that is.... being concerned about results and placement doesn't end up in the best performance :D Keep doing what you're doing, and don't get distracted by this too much (after you're done revelling in it, that is) :)

So, a while back you asked us if we'd gone through something similar, and how it felt?? :) How does it feel?? :D

I want to talk about the person I call my "mentor". I don't know if mentor is the exact right word for what this person means to me. When I first began shooting he was the most experienced guy around. For whatever reason he took me and my husband under his wing and allowed us to shoot in his squad. From there he allowed me to email any questions I had. Before Enos...he was the guy that gave me all my advice. I can't say that he actually officially mentored me...he's just always been there to talk to and ask questions. From the very first I believe he saw the potential in me and has done his part to fan the flame. He sold me his practically new Limited gun. Some might think he sold it to me to get rid of it so he could build a new gun...I choose to believe he sold it to me because he believed in me. That gesture was a huge step in my development as a shooter. This individual is always on the top of the scores and is always considered the guy to beat. Bottom line....I love him as a very good friend.

I didn't beat him on skill. I'm not there yet. I beat him because he made mistakes. When you are trying to overtake someone with a higher skill than you, I think there is a natural progression to development. The first step is to get close enough that if they do make mistakes and you don't...you win. That is where I'm at with my mentor. The next step is to develop skills that surpasses them. I believe I will eventually develop the skill to surpass him. When that happens I will have to deal with the emotional consequence and move on. I'm not worried about this win going to my head. I know he can still kick my bootie.

I felt the need to post the win because it was one of my goals. However, the real win will be when I can win because of MY skill not HIS mistakes. ;)

I can't say that he actually officially mentored me...he's just always been there to talk to and ask questions.

I'd say mentor is a good word for it. "Coach" might be a bit overboard, but mentor would fit pretty well.

I didn't beat him on skill. I'm not there yet. I beat him because he made mistakes.

More echoes of my own internal dialogues :) I'll tell you the same thing that's been beaten into my skull by several folks, when I tell them "yeah, I won, but so-and-so didn't have a good match, and....".... A win is a win is a win. Period ;) All that matters, in terms of who can say they "won" is who is on top on the results page.

It sounds like your mind is playing a subtle trick on you, here, that I deal with on a regular basis (but I'm getting better :), with regular beatings... :D ). For me, the root cause is a fear of success, when I dig down beneath all of the attendant sub-causes, etc (ie, all the barriers and defenses I've erected to avoid dealing with a fear of success). Basically, there's a certain internal responsibility that we tend to feel that, if we win, we're somehow expected to do it again and again, as if winning is some merciless grindstone or something. :) And, I don't want to feel trapped like that. So, in the past, when I've won, well... gee, it can't possibly be because I'm a good shooter, who's improved a bunch, could it?? Nah, it's because Joe Smith had a poor match, that must be it. Then I don't have to "take responsibility" for my success, and I don't have to deal with my (totally self imposed) responsibility to win again.

In effect, I've "given away" the positive mental benefits of winning, and given myself permission to fail again in the future, just to avoid the (again, totally self imposed) "negatives" of winning.

I wonder if this is similar for you???

Fact is - this is a game of precision, and (s)he who shoots the cleanest match often wins, when skills are similar enough to compare between them. In my mind, you've won already, Jane - you had the best game between the two of you at that match. Congrats! :)

When you are trying to overtake someone with a higher skill than you, I think there is a natural progression to development. The first step is to get close enough that if they do make mistakes and you don't...you win. That is where I'm at with my mentor. The next step is to develop skills that surpasses them. I believe I will eventually develop the skill to surpass him. When that happens I will have to deal with the emotional consequence and move on. I'm not worried about this win going to my head. I know he can still kick my bootie.

This is true - as you progress, you'll start to be in position to capitalize on the intangibles against the folks you consider to be your competition (or the folks you're trying to get the skills together to compete against).

I felt the need to post the win because it was one of my goals. However, the real win will be when I can win because of MY skill not HIS mistakes. ;)

Why do we make mistakes? And, does that, or does it not, relate to a skill we need to play this game?

What I'm getting at is... the mental game is a huge part of shooting our sports. Almost always, mistakes are made due to mental errors, not due to physical skill problems. Shooting a clean, mistake free match is a side effect of good mental game skills - and the opposite is also (almost always) true.

So, who won or lost based on his/her (complete) skill set??? :D

The take away is this - you know you have physical skills you want/need to work on to feel like you own this level of performance, and that's peachy. But, you do have the total game to win against your mentor, and you have it now. Don't take that away from yourself!!! :D

Ok, goal achieved! Who's the next "target"?? (pun totally intended... but... it would do good, at this point, to pick out the next benchmark, so you have a new goal to work towards... :) ).

There was a time in your shooting career that your mentor making those mistakes would not have mattered. You still could not beat him. Much progress has been made. It does not matter that he was not completely on his game. Use this win to positively reinforce how you see yourself as a shooter and don't diminish it by pointing out factors beyond your control.

Guys as always...thank you for your posts. Your comments mean so much to me. However, I can't deal with this right now.

I have a presentation due at work on Thursday (my boss is expecting me to be brillant), and a husband who is the match director of a major match this weekend who needs my support. I can't think about what it means to beat my mentor right now. After this weekend I promise I will "relish, ponder, absorb, celebrate, contemplate, embrace" my accomplishments but right now I'm just hoping to survive the next 5 days.

All I care about right now is seeing the dot on the target and pulling the trigger. I don't care about my mentor...I don't care about Shooter Grrl....all I care about is putting the dot on the target.

I know XRE....I'm doing some sort of mental manipulation avoiding dealing with "success". Yep....because to do so I think will bring me more success. :D We'll talk about this some more later...but right now my focus is on the shooting not the winning.

All I care about right now is seeing the dot on the target and pulling the trigger. I don't care about my mentor...I don't care about Shooter Grrl....all I care about is putting the dot on the target.

Go do it, Jane!! :D

Indiana State Sectional Match

Calamity Jane

First Open C

Shooter Grrl

High Lady Open

Congrats to Kathy on a good match and best of luck at Nationals.

Today is about pondering, reflecting, contemplating, and writing what I want to say in my head.....I've got A LOT to say.