Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ok, I'm a little freaked out about this.. :)

I have a JP 18" upper and a DPMS 16" upper... basically setup the same (1x5 scopes).

Any idea of the rules regarding switching them out? Basically if one has a problem, can I switch to the other without checknig with the MD, or use one for hoser stages, the other, where it takes little more accurate rifle?

If it's like USPSA, no problem, I can just use the JP, and only worry about it if it has a problem, and then do the normal MD check.

Unless you're shooting trooper, like any other match you have to use the same configuration for the duration of the match. I would bring a back up rifle, if your primary rifle goes down, ask the MD and they will almost universally say yes to switching as long as it is equivalent or less than what the other rifle was.

Matt Burkett seemed to do ok last year with his match grade gear

Maybe he was lucky, or spent extra time cleaning it...or as a pro he has all his gear sorted out ahead of time, and he's using guns built by people that know what they're doing. He has a vested interest in maintaining his title, so I am sure he will go to further lengths to keep his gear running than other attendees.

The round count is higher than most other matches, your guns are goting to get hotter and have more fouling, there is a lot of fine sand, and dust storms are frequent on the range.

If you built a franken-gun and didn't assemble it right you will find out here...

http://www.cavalryarms.com/ironman2005/312.jpg

http://www.cavalryarms.com/ironman2005/313.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can switch out rifles, shotguns, or pistols especially back and forth between ones that have a completely different configuration.

Match grade gear will run if you take some steps and keep it clean in that Idaho dust and high round counts.

The last 3 years I have run either a standard 16" or a 20" Bushmaster with out any trouble. I just cleaned it after a couple of days. Same with my Rem 11-87 and my Glock.

As far target engagement I shoot at everything regardless of difficulty, but you have to know when to move on. A 350 yard shot from the moving tower with open sights......... I try to hit it but move on after 2-3 shots.

Last year I shot my JP rifle and my Infinity pistol, and they worked like a champ!! not even one hiccup!! My 1100 had its moments, but I used it in a match when we got home and it finished itself off!! The 'gate' finally went!! I am lucky it made it ghrough the Ironman match :)...BUT..my rifle and pistol are both MATCH firearms!! Thank you JP and SVI!!!

Cheryl :)

2006...a guy on our squad had his 1100 CM die on him, he had to drop out of trooper to finish the match with only 3 stages left. In previous years I've seen all manner of guns choke and die on people. In recent years I've seen less problems than when I first started shooting the match. Maybe people have gotten the hint and got their gear squared away better.

...anyway take it as a warning, pound on your guns before you get there. Bring cleaning supplies including rigid cleaning rods to get cases unstuck (watching someone try to do that on the clock makes you wince), and spare parts/guns.

I've shot this match 4 times and hav not had any equipment problems. I used a JP rifle 2 of those years and it never hiccupped. The other years I used a Colt lower and a RRA upper without issue.

I cleaned and oiled the rifles every night without exception. Others in my traveling group did not clean their JP's and STI's and well, they had problems at times. My other match guns were Benelli and Glock, they are more forgiving of dirty conditions, so they worked fine.

If the wind kicks up a bit, the dust is incredible. It is fine grained and hangs in the air. It works its way into all of your gear, so cleaning is mandatory. You will be so tired ( sometimes shooting to 8-9 Pm) that you don't feel like doing it, but I would make an effort to do so.

Matt shot his match guns during the matches. But he also had one of his staff there for preventative maintenance and cleaning.

The match can be shot with high quality gear, it just is incumbent upon you to take damn good care of it.

I plan on being there this year, I am very much looking forward to it although I am a little new to 3 gun. Does anyone plan on shooting the DPMS / Leupold Heavy Metal? I am considering it although it will be quite a bit more expensive to shoot 308 than 223, especially considering losing all that brass....

I'm gonna give it a try this year, at least offically. I shot trooper my first year at the mgm just cause I didn't know any other way it was my first three gun and I had no idea what to expect. So this should be better as long as I don't get carried away with what I "might need".

Cody

• 3 months later...

Ontario is a fairly good size town, but I'm not sure what it has in the way of gun stores. I'll be staying in an RV park just across the river in Fruitland, ID. I'll have lots of ammo. Perhaps I'll have a sale! Ha!

It'll be my first Ironman. Looking forward to it. I was in that area about 3 weeks ago to take a Dave Neth 3-gun class. All the Gibsons (Mike, Travis, and Eryk) were there. Good people! I'm sure they'll put on one great match!

PS: Don't tell Burkett, but I'm planning to win! Yeah, right!

Ontario is a nice little town, not much to do when the sun goes down, but you will probably be so tired it does not matter. I have stayed there 3 times for previous matchs, at the Holiday Inn, iirc.

We found ammo at the local Wal Mart, who knows if they still sell ammo. Did not recall seeing any other gun stores. There was also a guy who has a trailer at the match and was selling ammo each year. You might want to check with Tenille and see if he is going to be there this year.

I thought I had the shotgun ammo situation figured out, now I have to rethink. I was going to use #2 shot for all the birdshot. I figured it would get too complicated loading the shotgun mag in varying sequences of #2 and #8, so just use #2 for steel and clay, as if you miss the steel with a #2 and the next round cycled is #8, it wouldn't have the power to knock down the steel, so you'd have to cycle till you got a #2 chambered again.

Now I'll have to take enough ammo for both strategies, and see what works when I get there.

I would think 8s will probably work for most of the steel.. keep some 2s or something, if you see steel needs somethirng really heavy.

I just packed away enough for both ways, with 50% spares....135lbs....including slugs and buckshot.

Edited by Guninhand

There is a gun store in Ontario OR but ammo supply was limited or at least was last year when I called in. It was also expensive but hey, it's a small town!

Round counts are out, if you are going, you should have received an email from Tennile reference that.

I had to ship my ammo to one of our vendors in ID cuz ain't no way the Wally World or the gun shop is gonna carry .38 Super Comp or 6.8 SPC.... :surprise:

Slug round count seems to be down this year compared to last year but last year was my first Ironman & first Trooper too. Shooting Trooper again this year unless my ammo doesn't make it until the second day in which case I guess I'll be shooting Open.

Good luck all & see you at the match. :cheers:

This will be my first Ironman. Being a world class procrastinator, I'm just getting my guns sighted in and cleaned! Should be fun, as long as the guns work and any snafus can be blamed on me.

Everyone have a safe trip. I'll see you there! I'll be the one stumbling around with a quizical look on my face.

1900 rounds, three guns and gear packed. Guns cleaned, zeros checked and test fired. Ready to go.

Good luck and have a safe trip to all of the Ironman participents, staff and shooters. See you there with a smile on my face.