Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A 40 Revolver For Idpa And Icore?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I'm have been bitten by the revolver bug. I am looking for a revolver in 40 S&W with a 4" barrel. I will mostly use it for our local ICORE matchs and maybe the odd IDPA match. I know of only the Smith and Wesson model 610 are there any others out there? Let me know what is out there. Thanks Eric

Hello: I'm have been bitten by the revolver bug. I am looking for a revolver in 40 S&W with a 4" barrel. I will mostly use it for our local ICORE matchs and maybe the odd IDPA match. I know of only the Smith and Wesson model 610 are there any others out there? Let me know what is out there. Thanks Eric

S&W made a L-framed .40 S&W gun called a 646, but there aren't too many of them.

Hello: So let me get this straight Smith and Wesson are the only company that makes a 40s&w/10mm revolver? I looked at the IDPA rules last night and the 40 gets shafted having to shoot major. I guess it will be for ICORE only then. What pistol would be better for ICORE then? The model 610 or the model 646? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks Eric

You bring up an interesting dilemma ACRacer

You've picked one model revo that is near & dear to me but may not be

your best choice for ICORE.

Starting out and if you only shoot ICORE I'd recommend the 5 inch 627

shooting 38 spcl's. You'll pay close to the same $$$ for a 627 that you will

for a 610 or 646 (not real sure on the 646, seen 'em for $600 and $900)

If your hearts set on shooting 40 then go with the 610, you can get a 6.5 inch

one for $700-$850 and if the barrels too long you can get it shortened.

(please don't ever modify a 5 inch 610 brl :o )

Now....if you think you'll ever play the Revo game in USPSA (which we all

here hope you will) and your not married to 40 cal. then you might want to look

at the 5 inch 625 (Blasphemy coming from me folks, I know ! )

You could shoot 185 Berrys bullets for ICORE (120 PF min.) and 230 grn RN

for USPSA (165 PF min.)

AND you can get a 625 for closer to $450-$550, moonclips are cheaper, but

230 grn heads cost more, 45 brass probably costs more too but the range

pick-ups are free !

Now if you really want to mess with peoples heads get yourself a 4 inch 686 !

Have it modified for moon clip use but retain the ability for it to function without

them an use speed loaders for IDPA, moonclips for ICORE and moonclips and

heavy 158 loads for USPSA !?!

OH !! you could shoot this gun as minor in USPSA also ;)

So I guess you have to ask yourself ACracer, do you have to stay with 40 cal,

and what else do you intend to shoot ?

I'm sure you'll have many more questions after the folks here start posting,

keep coming back, we'll get you there :)

Edited by 10mmdave

Why are you wanting a .40 for ICORE/IDPA? My thought is that a .357 or 625 would be cheaper and a lot ease to come by. If you do shoot IDPA everyone says the 610 is the way to go the N-frame takes the recoil better than the 646. I have yet to shoot my 610 in IDPA yet a little problem with the cylinder stop not working but I am looking forward to it.

People that know me are going to shoot me for that comment. I have both a 610 and a PC 646 and collect .40s for some bazaar reason. Heck I almost bought a Ruger Vaquero in .40 just in case I shot SSAS someday.

10mmdave you and I were posting at the same time. I like your post much better...

Edited by Pigdawg

Why are you wanting a .40 for ICORE/IDPA? My thought is that a .357 or 625 would be cheaper and a lot ease to come by. If you do shoot IDPA everyone says the 610 is the way to go the N-frame takes the recoil better than the 646. I have yet to shoot my 610 in IDPA yet a little problem with the cylinder stop not working but I am looking forward to it.

People that know me are going to shoot me for that comment. I have both a 610 and a PC 646 and collect .40s for some bazaar reason. Heck I almost bought a Ruger Vaquero in .40 just in case I shot SSAS someday.

10mmdave you and I were posting at the same time. I like your post much better...

Thanks PigDawg,

I'm figuring AC Racer already shoots some 40 Cal stuff and he dosent (aw heck.....

could be a she for all I know) dosen't want to deal with new bullets and cases and powder

and the "stuff" that goes along with it.

But we'll wait to hear, and be ever ready to help out a fellow newbie wheel gunner :D

Hello: Thanks guys again for the info. I am trying to load for just one caliber. I have decided to shoot 40 for IDPA (esp) and USPSA limited. I do load for 45 as well but am gearing everything towards 40. It may sound weird but that is what I'm trying to do. I know the 625 is the gamey why to go with those big holes and it seems cheaper to buy as well. I just like the 40 with 155 grain bullets. I do this for fun and shooting minor 40 is FUN. I hope this explains everything on why I'm leaning towards 40 for ICORE. Thanks Eric

For IDPA you'd probably be better off with the 625 or a 686 variant. For IPSC, I absolutely LOVE my 610 classic 6.5". I've been shooting it for ICORE up till this year when I've finally broken down and picked up a 5" 627 PC. Last year I was able to make 24th in Limited and 68th in the overall with the 610. I missed high overall 6 shooter by 10 fricken points :P I do like having that 6.5" tube for when we shoot the standards. It's going to be different shooting a 5" gun for those 50 yard shots. All the top shooters in ICORE use a 627 variant since they have the 2 round advantage. One thing that a few of the local good revo shooters have been doing is shooting their 627's in minor L10. It keeps them practiced for ICORE and they can still shoot their revos. If you are hell bent on getting a 610, they are out there, but you may pay a premium. I wish S&W would bring them back into production.

I like the 610 and I own 3 - 40 cal handguns. Sig 229, the 610, and a Para P16. I can shoot the same ammo be they light or heavy in all three. A 610 with a Titanium cylinder would be heaven ;)

Vince

Hello: Thanks guys again for the info. I am trying to load for just one caliber. I have decided to shoot 40 for IDPA (esp) and USPSA limited. I do load for 45 as well but am gearing everything towards 40. It may sound weird but that is what I'm trying to do. I know the 625 is the gamey why to go with those big holes and it seems cheaper to buy as well. I just like the 40 with 155 grain bullets. I do this for fun and shooting minor 40 is FUN. I hope this explains everything on why I'm leaning towards 40 for ICORE. Thanks Eric

Well that makes up your mind for you AC, A 610 will do all that you need, use the 155's

for ICORE and, you could load them up to 170 pf for USPSA (man that's gonna sting with

wood grips, might want to go the Hogue route ;) )

Brownells sells moon clips fairly cheap, something like 50-75 cents, buy a bunch.

I like Winchester brass in the Brownells clips, most others are too loose IMO.

Get yourself a de-mooner tool (Brownells or Moonclips.com) and 6 to 8 moonclip

holders (better 8)

Figure out a holster and a belt (CR Speed belt and Holster or a Speed Sec & and CR belt

as a suggestion)

Now your almost good to go, now you need to adjust the trigger pull, figure out what kind

of sights to use, reload with your weak or strong hand......this is only the begining B)

I'm partial to the older 610's with the fluted cylinders, if you get the hunter style you may

want to look into getting some flutes machined in. Don't worry about the MIM internals,

you can still get a great trigger job with them.

So get looking on the auction sights, don't be bummed if you lose a few auctions,

they turn up all the time.

Good luck, and welcome to the revo fold ;)

One thing that you'll run into (like the rest of us) is that there may be a shortage of round nosed bullets for the 40. RNFP's work ok, but all of us have been kicking around the idea and hoping that someone would come up with a pointed RN specifically for 40 cal Revolvers. :)

Good luck,

Vince

Er, I know I'll get flamed if I'm wrong, but I believe ICORE allows only unmodified factory barrels. S&W only made 610's with 6.5 barrels. IDPA doesn't allow barrel lengths greater than 4". You may be looking for a beast that doesn't exist.

3", 4", 5", & 6.5" barrel lengths have been made

Hello: Wow guys you are all very quick with the info. You have me thinking which is not very good for me. I am not married to the 40 but want a nice light recoil and maybe the 38 shooting minor would do it. It makes sense to use one revolver for IDPA,USPSA and ICORE. That is the same reason I shoot a 1911 and 2011 in both IDPA and USPSA. Keep the suggestions coming I'm learning alot. Maybe I need 2 revolvers ;-) Thanks Eric

I can say that my 610 Classic shooting minor 40's is a tackdriver and very controllable. I'm using the 140 RN since it is locally available and inexpensive for me. Though I'm toying with a major 200 gr Truncated cone bullet also.

Vince

Eric, I wanted a 610 for a long time, finally found a 4" model. I shot it in IDPA with a 140 PF load using Berry's 155 RN and in USPSA using Berry's 180 RN for a 170 PF load. I shot it for about a year and then picked up a 646. For me there was no comparison - the 646 was just a sweeter shooting gun. The only advantage with the 610 was shooting major PF loads. It was no fun with the 646, but I figured I'd just shoot minor in USPSA since I was just shooting local matches anyway. I traded the 610 and four months later IDPA changes the rules where I had to shoot moonclip major. DOH!! I shot a 625 for IDPA and USPSA for the last two years until last summer when I put together some .40 major PF loads using WST and WSF that weren't bad to shoot in the 646.

If you like shooting the 40, then I'd say go for it. Buy a 646 or a 610. You have to work a little harder with reloads than the 625, but so what. If you really want to be competitive in all three games, you need a gun for each one. 8-shot 627 for ICORE, 5" 625 for USPSA, 4" 625 for IDPA ESR and a 686/10/15/66 for IDPA SSR. Or you can just use one gun and shoot them all three games.

Jerry

Edited by COF

Hello: Wow you guys know your stuff! I guess I am on the hunt for a Model 646 first then the 610 and lastly a 686. The 646 only comes in 4'' right? Anyone know where any of these are for sale? How can you find out more about these non current revolvers? Thanks for all your help guys. Thanks Eric

I am a huge fan of the 4" 625 and have used it for all occasions, though it is not the best for Steel or ICORE. If you want to shoot SSR in IDPA you can load .45 Auto Rim down to 125 PF and have very little recoil. Problem with that is you'd have to use HKS speedloaders, which are a bit slow.

Anybody out there ever think of trying to convince Starline to make a run of .40 Auto Rim brass?

Dave Sinko

There was a lot of discussion on a couple forums - here, Ted's forum and, the 1911 forum - about trying to modify brass to work in the 646. The problem is, even if you had the brass, what speedloaders are you going to use? I ended up buying a used 686 and have started shooting it for SSR

Hello: Guys so you are suggesting the 686 4" for IDPA SSR and ICORE? If so what do you shoot for each 38 or 357? I'm still hunting around for the right revolver for me and what I want to do. It seems the 40 my not do everything that I'm looking for it to do in IDPA,USPSA and ICORE. It sucks that you can't use a 5'' barrel in IDPA. Let me know. Thanks Eric

It depends how badly you want to shoot Steel and ICORE. These are the two disciplines where a 7 or 8 shot revolver is very highly recommended. If you get a 686+ seven shooter you'll be in good shape, but you'll suffer in IDPA where you can load only six. On the other hand, you can load 7 but fire only 6 in USPSA, but then you'll have slower reloads with a .38 or .357 whether the gun is moonclipped or not. I own two revolvers, a 4" 625 and a 627 8x.38 Super. The former is for USPSA, IDPA and EVERYTHING I need a handgun to accomplish in the real world, while the latter is for Steel and ICORE. It depends on your priorities. If I had to keep only one gun I'd go with my 625 since it has the greater real world utility and I see USPSA Revolver division as the most noble of the gun games. Now if only I could find more people around here who want to shoot revolver...

Dave Sinko

• 3 weeks later...

The S&W 646 is a 6 shot 40 S&W with a titanium cylinder and stainlkess frame. Come is either a PC or standard version. Excellent shooters.