Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefties: Help With A Problem

dfwmiket

Thanks for the info Patrick! I appreciate it. I may have to break down and get my own, since I doubt the wife will like me changing hers up too much.

-Mike

You are quite welcome.

Your are a smart man, as not changing her gun gets you a new gun!

Patrick

I'm also a lefty and I grip the gun exactly like you do in the photo. Never had a problem with the brass hitting my thumb. It has hit me in the forehad, though. I agree -- stronger recoil spring and reshaped ejector. Or, just get Bob Londrigan's tuned ejector and pop it in.

• 5 weeks later...
Pic of grip :

grippy.jpg

&

grippy2.jpg

Harmon has seen this in action......... he knows I bitch about it constantly. :)

Mike,

I am a lefty also, shooting an STI Tactical. Just by looking at your pics and comparing it to my grip, (not that I am a world class shooter) your strong hand thumb looks like it is high and not "thumbs forward" like you origionally said. Your support or weak hand looks wrist high and....when I compared it to my grip, your grip is above the line where the frame and slide meet. My support hand is parallel with that line (the bottom of the slide).

A few things to think about or to look at:

1. Is your thumb sitting on the thumb safety

2. point your strong hand thumb forward and not up

3. bring your support hand down or your support wrist down (are you locking out your support elbow? I don't and think you may need a little bend in it)

Redwoods

• 4 months later...

Wow, I had forgotten about this--- had the ejector cut at a different angle, and the problem was all fixed. I also have gotten a little more used to 1911/2011 frames from the Glock transition now, too. (Even though I've now gone back to plastic, in the form of my M&P!) :)

-Mike

I guess I'm no expert but when I look at the pictures, your wrist is bent at a pretty severe angle to the forearm.

That seems like a very unnatural grip.

Try rotating your hand counterclockwise a bit.

This should allow your thumb to ride just as high but will pull the thumb toward the back of the gun and straight the wrist a bit.

Try it and see how it feels.

I would try to get an expert like Manny or Angus to take a look at your grip.

Something about it just doesn't look quite right to me.

T

I went back and grabbed the camera and took some new pics, just for comparison. It does look like the original ones were kinda at a weird angle or else my grip has gotten better since those were taken.

1. grippy3.jpg

2. grippy4.jpg

Nice Open gun too, huh? :blush: :blush: Wifey won't let me keep it though.

-Mike