Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefties: Help With A Problem

dfwmiket

I'm a southpaw/lefty, and I'm running into some issues while trying to switch platforms.

I am and have been a Glock shooter, and haven't had this trouble--but now that I'm 'occasionally' shooting a 1911/2011 platform.......

I have a nagging problem: brass hits me in the thumb.

I know the first thought is 'move your thumb, dummy!'.....but that really hasn't worked too well so far. I shoot thumbs forward/high grip, standard fare stuff, especially for those of us who shoot tupperware. The casings eject and hit me in my thumb--gets uncomfortable and distracting pretty quickly. I recall someone (Alex Casis?) having some sort of 'tweaked' ambi-safety that helped alleviate this. Anyway........anyone ever have this problem?

If so, what did you do? ( And before anyone says it, I'm not cutting off my thumb! :P )

-Mike

My buddy Harmon was telling me it probably could be fixed by tuning the ejector........ but he also offered to chop off my thumb. :P:P

So it sounds like I'm not the only one this happens to?

Edited by cnemikeman

I know the first thought is 'move your thumb, dummy!'.....but that really hasn't worked too well so far. I shoot thumbs forward/high grip, standard fare stuff, especially for those of us who shoot tupperware. The casings eject and hit me in my thumb--gets uncomfortable and distracting pretty quickly. I recall someone (Alex Casis?) having some sort of 'tweaked' ambi-safety that helped alleviate this. Anyway........anyone ever have this problem?

If so, what did you do? ( And before anyone says it, I'm not cutting off my thumb! :P )

-Mike

I have the same problem. But for me, the sting of the brass hitting my thumb is enough of a reminder that I need to "move my thumb". I basically just started canting my thumbs forward rather than up. I can't figure out any other solution, so keep me posted if you find something.

-Cuz.

I'm a southpaw/lefty, and I'm running into some issues while trying to switch platforms.

I am and have been a Glock shooter, and haven't had this trouble--but now that I'm 'occasionally' shooting a 1911/2011 platform.......

-Mike

Can you get a pic of your grip. With your right thumb next to the frame pointed straight out towards the target and the left thumb riding the safety/right thumb it shouldn't be a problem. If we could get a pic of your grip then we could figure out if that is the problem before you start working on your gun. If its not the grip atleast you'll know it. I would get with someone first before I start working on the gun. I have an extrememly short ejector and I'm left handed and never have had any issues.

Flyin40

Mike...It's the gun. AND,,the bad news is that once a gun has tasted thumb it must be put down. Call me at BR-549 to arrange shipping to Triangle where I will make one last attempt to rehab your Edge. If this proves to be a failure... I will lock it in my safe to prevent it from harming others. :(

Be strong and do the right thing.

Edited by Merlin Orr

First question, Have you had your grip modified(stippled, undercut, underneath trigger guard relieved some. If you haven't it could explain your grip.

First I would say your right hand is way forward, almost looks like it goes out past your trigger guard. If it does then its hard to get your left thumb to lay low on the thumb safety and your right thumb.

I'll attach a photo of my grip, again this is with an undercut trigger guard that allows me to get my hand into the grip better. You want that top thumb to melt into your other hand making it almost like its one continous hand wrapped all the way around the grip.

It looks like your hands are working separately instead of together. I had some trouble in the beginning with my grip but my trouble was I was riding the safety too much. Basically riding the safety and slide causing some jams when my thumb was rubbing the slide. Now I keep a small gap between my thumb and slide.

Also when you watch Todd Jarret's video pay attention to when the hat cam is on. You can really see how his two hands melt together forming a strong grip.

One other things is the angle you took the photo could be deceiving. I took my photo from the side, I can't tell if the angle of your photo is more from the front which would make everything look more forward than it really is. Either way you have to get than thumb melted into your grip.

post-5017-1170035140.jpg

post-5017-1170035220.jpg

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Well, one thing is this is my wife's Edge......and it has the Shannahan grip on it......which is a bit too small for me, but gotta make the best of it. Not sure that helps at all, but I've had other guns do it too. Harmon's new Limited gun didn't seem to do it nearly as much, but it didn't have an ambi-safety, so may not have been a good representation. I may just stick with my Glock. :)

-Mike

Well, one thing is this is my wife's Edge......and it has the Shannahan grip on it......which is a bit too small for me, but gotta make the best of it. Not sure that helps at all, but I've had other guns do it too. Harmon's new Limited gun didn't seem to do it nearly as much, but it didn't have an ambi-safety, so may not have been a good representation. I may just stick with my Glock. :)

-Mike

Switching between the two will make it hard. Both setups are a solid platform whichever you choose. If you go with the STI you'll probably have to rework your grip and stay away from the glock for awhile to see if you really like the STI. It all comes down to personal preference. I know I love my STI but there are just as many who love their Glocks.

Flyin40

I AM A LEFTY!!!

That is why I offered a solution or two. Rightys don't get it!

Don't change yourself to fit the gun make the gun fit you!

A change (probably and increase of a pound or two) of your recoil spring will alter the ejection pattern enough to allow your thumb to heal.

A cheap check and possible fix without alterations.

Just for the heck of it try a minor load and see if it continues (my guess would be NO)

If you are wedded to a particular recoil spring weight then your ejector must undergo

surgery. OR you could have a new "gunsite" style thumb paddle constructed.

I run short ejectors and angle the face back (check a Kunhausen manual) to lift the case up and out at 2:00.

While my current Class percentage is weak I did earn a GM card with a 1911 without a hole in my thumb.

Good luck

Patrick