Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lessons Of Attention

benos

Waiting to walk across a busy intersection, I "got the man," checked traffic in every direction, and stepped into the crosswalk - remaining aware of all the cars nearby. Especially the one making a left turn, slowly coming toward me. It slowed down... Aware of no other threats, my attention pulled in and I started thinking about something. Suddenly I realize the "left turn" car is coming right at me and I jump to the side, avoiding the car as it cruises past.

The first thing I remember was anger. As I was in the air I stuck both hands out to the side and gave the driver a "WTF!?" look. Wake up! - I said to myself (to the driver). The next thought - "Never slack off, even for an instant." By the time I was out of the intersection I was walking along, not thinking, paying attention again.

Later I realized my outwardly directed "Wake up!" was an admonition to myself.

Four things spontaneously occurred: Response, reaction, reflection, correction.

It started with pure response - I got out of the way. Like a lightening bolt, anger - "WTF!?" - was there; before I even hit the ground. Comprehending the uselessness of anger in that situation, in a few seconds, my attention returned to me... "Never slack off, even for an instant." It's all me.

be

Pay attention is right. It's so easy to lose yourself, to forget where you are and what you are doing... I remember my brush with traffic like it was yesterday. I'd finished school for the year and was on my way to see a careers officer. I stopped at the newsagent to buy a magazine for my brother, I was thinking about that, and thinking about the coming interview. Traffic was busy and I'm waiting to cross the road, I saw the car approaching and crossed the road anyway.

He was only going about 20 miles per hour when he hit me and snapped my right femur.

I thought I had made it across the street, I thought I was walking down the street with my eyes closed. I told myself to open my eyes, I told myself I was walking down a street with my eyes shut... "open your eyes", I said to myself. When my eyes opened I was in an ambulance, a short delay as I thought "What the hell..." and then the pain hit.

One fraction of a second, one month in a hospital, a piece of metal in my leg, an eight inch scar on my thigh. Two years later another operation to remove the metal, then 3 years before the badly healed bone broke again, another piece of metal, another 8 inch scar on my thigh.

One fraction of a second... Your life can change in the blink of an eye... :(

Pay attention is right. It's so easy to lose yourself, to forget where you are and what you are doing... I remember my brush with traffic like it was yesterday. I'd finished school for the year and was on my way to see a careers officer. I stopped at the newsagent to buy a magazine for my brother, I was thinking about that, and thinking about the coming interview. Traffic was busy and I'm waiting to cross the road, I saw the car approaching and crossed the road anyway.

He was only going about 20 miles per hour when he hit me and snapped my right femur.

I thought I had made it across the street, I thought I was walking down the street with my eyes closed. I told myself to open my eyes, I told myself I was walking down a street with my eyes shut... "open your eyes", I said to myself. When my eyes opened I was in an ambulance, a short delay as I thought "What the hell..." and then the pain hit.

Wow.

One fraction of a second... Your life can change in the blink of an eye... :(

Yes. Reminded me of a sad story I heard quite a few years ago, with the same lesson. A guy was working on a new 2nd story porch he was building, when he stepped back off the edge, fell off, broke his neck and died. I remember being so sad hearing that story. He had a family, kids. But I also remember, even amongst the anguish, there was a lesson: Pay attention at all times. Which is echoed in innumerable ways in the teachings of any Way. One that's stayed stuck in my mind for many years was from a Carlos Castenada/Don Juan story... "The average man only pays attention when he deems it necessary, whereas the warrior pays attention at all times."

be

"Never slack off, even for an instant."

be

Fighter pilots (and others I am sure) call it "Situational Awareness." Always being aware of what is going on around you.

Also, can one stay on the edge all the time? I can't. My mind will wander off on some tangent... "what's for lunch or isn't she pretty" and the next thing I realize is one of the events you gentlemen have described.

FWIW

dj

be

Fighter pilots (and others I am sure) call it "Situational Awareness." Always being aware of what is going on around you.

I wish more people would apply these tactics while driving vehicles. I have traveled over 2 million miles in a commercial vehicle. The senseless pain, suffering and death I have seen over the years is mind numbing. The single biggest threat to you, your loved ones and your friends is the activity we all take for granted every day. Take the time to teach your loved ones "Situational Awareness" while driving. Encourage them to "Never slack off, even for an instant." Lead by example. Have your spouse or child drive instead of you so you can mentor them on occasion. Will you be a back-seat driver? Yes. Will you have done the singe most effective thing you can do to protect your family from harm? You bet. Disengaging soapbox mode now.

"The average man only pays attention when he deems it necessary, whereas the warrior pays attention at all times."
right-on right-on right-on right-on right-on right-on right-on right-on right-on right-on...

I'm glad I saved my Castaneda paperbacks........... :ph34r:B)

About people paying attention, you'll love this. In Boulder there is a pedestrian area called Pearl Street, there are roads that cross Pearl street and they have traffic lights there.

I have seen this so many times it's becoming comical.

Someone, usually some dopy homeless person, sees a 100 yard gap in traffic coming one way and an empty lane going the other way. So they start to cross even though the traffic lights are green. Everybody else that is waiting to cross will start to cross the street. They see one person cross the road and just assume that the traffic lights have changed to red.

So they start crossing the street, the car that was 100 yards away is getting closer and people look shocked, outraged, confused until they realise that the lights are not in their favour, and they have to run out of the way.

You've got to see it to believe it, they're like a bunch of bloody lemmings. :o

Waiting to walk across a busy intersection, I "got the man," checked traffic in every direction, and stepped into the crosswalk - remaining aware of all the cars nearby. Especially the one making a left turn, slowly coming toward me. It slowed down... Aware of no other threats, my attention pulled in and I started thinking about something. Suddenly I realize the "left turn" car is coming right at me and I jump to the side, avoiding the car as it cruises past.

The first thing I remember was anger. As I was in the air I stuck both hands out to the side and gave the driver a "WTF!?" look. Wake up! - I said to myself (to the driver). The next thought - "Never slack off, even for an instant." By the time I was out of the intersection I was walking along, not thinking, paying attention again.

Later I realized my outwardly directed "Wake up!" was an admonition to myself.

Four things spontaneously occurred: Response, reaction, reflection, correction.

It started with pure response - I got out of the way. Like a lightening bolt, anger - "WTF!?" - was there; before I even hit the ground. Comprehending the uselessness of anger in that situation, in a few seconds, my attention returned to me... "Never slack off, even for an instant." It's all me.

be

Brian I like the way you think. The words response, reaction, reflection and correction got me thinking. I realized in my own life that I could use more reflection and correction. I don't seem to struggle with responding and reactioning, it's the other two where I fall a little short. Thanks for the words that got me to take a harder look at myself.

It is funny/ interesting that Brian mentioned a Carlos Castaneda Don Juan book. After thirty something years I am rereading Journey To Ixtlan. A lot of Warrior info

Yes, there's some great stuff in those books. My favorite three, read in order - A Separate Reality, Journey to Ixtlan, and Tales of Power. That one rocks.

Brian I like the way you think. The words response, reaction, reflection and correction got me thinking. I realized in my own life that I could use more reflection and correction. I don't seem to struggle with responding and reactioning, it's the other two where I fall a little short. Thanks for the words that got me to take a harder look at myself.

Thank you. I'm glad it's working for you.

By becoming more aware of "reaction, reflection, and correction," it's helping me live my life more in the realm of "response." Which is my goal. When it's appropriate, of course.

:)

Interesting that I should end up reading this post. Over the past few years my "attention to attention" has grown exponentially.

Monday morning I got woke up at 12:45 am out of a real sound sleep and had to drive 20 miles out to do some work. Normally, this doesn't bother me at all. But, this time I was concious of an inner feeling of resentment. Even after the drive out there, I couldn't shake the feeling of resentment and accept with gratitude that I have a really good job and that sometimes it causes me to be out in the bitter cold night when I'd rather be sleeping.

Long story short, I caught myself just about 1/2 second short of making a really huge mistake. I'm not going to go into any detail about it. But, I more sensed it than saw it.

When I recovered from the realization of what I had almost done, I felt totally wasted. Almost 72 hours later, I'm still pretty introspective about it.

Resentment is a mental rejection of the situation. If you don't accept the situation for what it really is, how the hell can you pay attention to it? I learned a good lesson. Resentment = inattention.

Oh yes, I had a full WEEK of resentment last week and it nearly ate me alive. I couldn't concentrate on anything, let along pay "attention" to proper things. Boy, was I miserable. It interfered with everything (even though it was legally and ethically justified resentment) and caused distortions of perception that even I could see (thanks to a shred of detachment) while it was all happening. Let's just say I could've killed someone in anger had I not the personal control that I tend to have each day.

"Some people just need killin'..." Sad but true.

Oh, and the Carlos Castaneda book has been claimed and sent to one of our forum members. Thanks for the interest!

I learned a good lesson. Resentment = inattention.

That is a good one, thanks for posting it.

That equation operates subtly on many levels. My life improves by being more aware of it. If my heart isn't there, whatever happens will be subpar.

be

Resentment is a mental rejection of the situation. If you don't accept the situation for what it really is, how the hell can you pay attention to it? I learned a good lesson. Resentment = inattention.

Bhagavad Gita

on karma yoga

"From anger arises bewilderment, from bewilderment loss of memory; and from loss of memory, the destruction of intelligence and from the destruction of intelligence he perishes"

Merlin, that's a beautiful quote. Thanks for it!

You know, there is a big difference between reading something very enlightening, totally agreeing with it, and having it actually become your own truth.

It's kinda of like knowing about electricity. :blink:

• 1 month later...

be

Also, can one stay on the edge all the time? I can't. My mind will wander off on some tangent... "what's for lunch or isn't she pretty" and the next thing I realize is one of the events you gentlemen have described.

FWIW

dj

We've got the opposite saying for when things aren't going so well "Hey, I'm a dear in headlights right now so let me know if you see anything going bad"

I had a good one a few years ago. Bringing an airplane back from deepest darkest africa, one of our overnight stops was in Luton, England. After breakfast we steped out of the hotel to walk across to the airport. I looked left, and stepped.... my boss grabbed the back of my jacket and pulled as the car went by from the right. Thankfully he was more aware than I that morning