Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Md Awb F 2007

rvb

Ignorance. I just cant get over the fact that these people think that an "assault weapons ban" is going to stop violent crime.

Because you know....criminals who commit violent crime follow the law when attaining their weapons.

...And in further news of progressive appeasement, USPSA announced it's new classes; L-0, Open-0, "out of" Production, single load (replacing single stack) and the exciting new "NO-gun" replacing three gun competition. While these classes will not likely be as popular as their other attempts at appeasement, the competition will award trophies to all who show up, and larger trophies to those entering smaller classes and divisions. Any shooter who finds themselves alone in class, division AND special catagory, will henceforth be declared match winner.

Additionally, no shots wil be fired in competition, and as this should lessen the entry level cost of competition, both for ammunition and ear protection, this shall be viewed as a positive step in leveling the field and increasing grass roots recruiting.

Sorry, that's just sillyness.

Edited by dirtypool40

I agree. If we have LIMITED - 0 ............. then by all means we should also have OPEN - 0. ;)

Yeah, I'll be making sure to add Maryland to my list of states to stay FAR away from.

Maryland is a state?

Well guys, it hasn't passed yet........

we'll do what we can to stop it.

anyone know of any good jobs in the midwest for an Electrical Engineer or technical program management. Yea, I'm trying to get out of MD. Been cleaning up my resume. I owe my employer a couple more months since they pd for my masters degree... now that I'm done with that milestone, I want to abandon ship.

rvb

Let me just say this: besides marrying my wife, best thing I EVER did was leave Maryland and follow her back to her home state here in Texas. :)

-Mike

Man, I would LOVE to move to TX (I always joke that as soon as they secede from the union, I'm THERE), but we want to get closer to family in OH before we start our own family, and TX wouldn't accomplish that goal. :(

I have no intention of violating any forum rules regarding politics, so please moderate this post if its inappropriate, but there is more INFORMATION on this issue (and possibly info on efforts to defeat this bill - if you catch my drift) at this LINK on another forum, the "hometown" section for Washington D.C. and Maryland, on ar15.com

Here is the full URL: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&...5563&page=1

Also, one of our fellow USPSA, 3 gun, and IDPA shooters (Henry Heymering) is leading an effort to preserve the pistol shooting sports in MD and info about him + his efforts is available on his site: www.marylandshallissue.org

I enjoy USPSA and 3 gun shooting in MD. This bill could seriously impact the ability of out-of-state shooters to participate in MD.

Regards,

D. Johnson

Ignorance. I just cant get over the fact that these people think that an "assault weapons ban" is going to stop violent crime.

Because you know....criminals who commit violent crime follow the law when attaining their weapons.

Yeah, it's amazing that this stuff is still going on. I have yet to meet someone who either, actually believes that these "laws" work or refuses to listen to a logical explanation as to why they don't work. But ignorant politicians still keep doing what they do best.......

Sincerely,

"free me from the 'free state', please..."

The poloticians ARE NOT STUPID they know exactly what they are doing!!

They want to disarm ALL americans, any gun bans will have no positive affect on crime and THEY KNOW it!!!

Our rights will be eroded one little bite at a time

All of us better wake up, and do everything we can to elect good people to positions of power!!

Jim

When you allert friends to this dangerous bill (its still a toss up as to whether it will pass) please also meantion that its a:

BACK-DOOR-PISTOL-BAN

Why? Because any pistol "that CAN ACCEPT" a threaded barrel is banned for coming into the state - even for competition.

Now, would the democrats now in control in MD interpret this to include Glocks and 1911s - even if the 1911 did not have a threaded barrel on it? Probably. They had a different interpretation of "internal lock" that banned all revolvers and pistols (except the internal lock S&Ws & ILS Springfields) - until the last republican governor re-interpreted the law to allow the "Omega Lock."

What is at stake? The Mason/Dixon 3gun, the MD GSSF, and all other USPSA, 3gun & IDPA shooting in that state.

THIS LINK takes you to info on who to telephone/e-mail/write to and the latest efforts to defeat this bill.

For competition's sake, lets hope it does not pass.

When you allert friends to this dangerous bill (its still a toss up as to whether it will pass) please also meantion that its a:

BACK-DOOR-PISTOL-BAN

Why? Because any pistol "that CAN ACCEPT" a threaded barrel is banned for coming into the state - even for competition.

For competition's sake, lets hope it does not pass.

You are 100% correct. I tell everyone that the bill basically would ban anything semi-auto.

My letter I sent to my senator and everyone on the Judiciary committee (including the sponsor and some co-sponsors).........

Honorable Senator xxx,

As a proud citizen of Maryland, District 32,

I wish to express opposition to Senate Bill 43, “Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2007.”

First, and foremost, I believe that every individual in The United States of America is guaranteed the right to keep and bear arms, and that this bill does infringe upon this right.

While I understand the desire to reduce crime and save lives, I do not believe this bill accomplishes this goal. Preventing violent crime, gang membership, and drug involvement needs legislation that reaches the root of the problem such as significant mandatory-minimum sentences for violent offenders, a strong policy against repeat offenders, and a tougher stance on gang-related activities such as violent membership initiations and witness intimidation.

This legislation will accomplish nothing to reduce crime. It is important to note that statistically, long guns (“assault weapons,” a sub-set of long guns, are not tracked statistically) are seldom used in violent crime. The Maryland State Police has even testified in committee hearings in both the Maryland house and senate (hearings which I have attended) that these weapons are used so seldom that they did not support similar ban legislation.

This legislation is so broadly written, that it is hard to think of any semi-auto firearm (ONE shot fired per trigger pull) that does not fall under its purview, be it a long gun or handgun. This means this legislation would potentially impact millions of law-abiding Maryland gun owners.

Every year at committee hearings in either the house or senate (which I have attended the past 3 years), proponents of these bans state that they do not affect “sportsmen.” This argument is a blatant LIE. Even hunters may be affected. In Maryland, it is possible to compete in CMP, USPSA, NRA, IDPA, and many club-level events using equipment banned under these proposed laws. Competitors from out of state will not be able to attend these sporting events, creating a revenue loss for Maryland clubs and local businesses. In 2006, I personally competed in approximately 30 events in the state of Maryland using firearms that this bill proposes to ban; I practiced hours per week with firearms that this bill deems “non-sporting.” Yet I have never committed a crime.

I urge you to oppose this bill and work to create legislation that will impose tougher penalties for criminals instead of penalizing law-abiding citizens and sportsmen.

Sincerely,

Edited by rvb

Senate Bill 43 has been registered.

It's pretty rough.... basically all semi-auto rifles, lots of shotguns, some handguns will be banned. It also prevents transporting them into the state if you shoot any matches in MD or travel to matches through MD.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/bills/sb/sb0043f.pdf

rvb

I like how theres always a LE exemption...if all the 'bad' guns are banned, why would the cops need to keep theirs?

Senate Bill 43 has been registered.

It's pretty rough.... basically all semi-auto rifles, lots of shotguns, some handguns will be banned. It also prevents transporting them into the state if you shoot any matches in MD or travel to matches through MD.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/bills/sb/sb0043f.pdf

rvb

I like how theres always a LE exemption...if all the 'bad' guns are banned, why would the cops need to keep theirs?

Isn't that the definition of "police state?"

rvb

2/27 is the date for the committee hearing in Annapolis. Be there if you can!! 1pm.

Also note HB441. A 10% tax on Assault Weapons (it's "for the children," with 80% of the revenue to go to education). So they are trying to tax what the senate is trying to ban! :wacko:

rvb

WHAT THE...!!! :angry:

Please keep us all posted on how this turns out on the 27th. I am headed to MD in mid-March, and was PLANNING on taking my brand new blaster and my back up with me so I could shoot out there as I will be there for 3 months. Both of my guns are SS style 1911's(I shoot L-10). If this silly S*&^ continues, I may consider holeing myself up here in my little "Free State(NM)" and standing by to protect myself.

This crap is getting absolutely ridiculous!! :angry:

Just a sarcastic side note:

Maybe all law-abiding pro-gun types should move to Texas, secede from the Union and create our own country!!!!