Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday!

zhunter

Been following this one for a while now. For what it's worth, quite a few of us have abandoned using Clays for major loads because of this behavior. Fact is Clays at the upper pressure levels we shoot at is extremely spiky. Some probably get away with it because of tolerances in barrels, chambers, etc., some of us see this erratic (spiky) behavior, and the rest dont test carefully enough to know about it. Since chamber pressure is just as erratic as the measured velocity deviations you are seeing, this is not comforting. TG seems to be much more stable at major PFs.

Edited by ipscbob

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have been following this thread for a while. I've been using Clays with lead and Precision Moly bullets with great success in .45 major and .40 minor.

Decided to try Precision Delta bullets for a .40 minor load. I'm not happy with the early results. Granted I'm still working up the load and have got it to 120pf so more work is needed. I've put two loads together and the SD is an unacceptable low 30s in both. Still have more work to do before I give up on it and go to TG for the jacketed loads.

ZHunter. What is the lot number of your jug of Clays?

I too have been following this thread for a while. I've been using Clays with lead and Precision Moly bullets with great success in .45 major and .40 minor.

Decided to try Precision Delta bullets for a .40 minor load. I'm not happy with the early results. Granted I'm still working up the load and have got it to 120pf so more work is needed. I've put two loads together and the SD is an unacceptable low 30s in both. Still have more work to do before I give up on it and go to TG for the jacketed loads.

Tell me where to find the lot # on the jug and I will be happy to tell ya. I don't see any lot #'s

This thread is worthless without pics.... :D:lol:

This forum would not allow the pics of last night ;)

It sure is nice to have my gun troubles over tho!!!

ZH, trying to get this back on track!!!

Edited by zhunter

Tell me where to find the lot # on the jug and I will be happy to tell ya. I don't see any lot #'s

Look for a pale yellow sticker with a 10 digit number somewhere on the container. My Clays stickers were on the sides while a 1lb can of TG had it on the bottom.

I have a 4lb and a 8lb container. My lot numbers are 40504044150 (4lb) and 80621064397 (8lb). FWIW: The 4lb jug I keep for metallic reloading while the 8lb keg is segregated for shotshell reloading. At 17 or 18 grains a pop, it doesn't take long to go through 8lbs when you're reloading 12ga.

Look for a pale yellow sticker with a 10 digit number somewhere on the container. My Clays stickers were on the sides while a 1lb can of TG had it on the bottom.

I have a 4lb and a 8lb container. My lot numbers are 40504044150 (4lb) and 80621064397 (8lb). FWIW: The 4lb jug I keep for metallic reloading while the 8lb keg is segregated for shotshell reloading. At 17 or 18 grains a pop, it doesn't take long to go through 8lbs when you're reloading 12ga.

Here ya go.

Lot # 40427064378

I am sure there is a problem with this powder after all of the testing I have done!!!

Looks like TG likes being loaded to a fairly "hot" level as the velocities look to have leveled out and show good consistency. At least now you won't be worrying about crap that has no bearing on your actual shooting..... :)

Exactly, now back where my mind belongs, gotta a date with a tall one tonight ;) 6'2", 160 lb.s with less body fat than I have :wacko:

gotta a date with a tall one tonight 6'2", 160 lb.s with less body fat than I have

I would check this out more carefully than any of the bullets I load

Looks like TG likes being loaded to a fairly "hot" level as the velocities look to have leveled out and show good consistency. At least now you won't be worrying about crap that has no bearing on your actual shooting..... :)

Exactly, now back where my mind belongs, gotta a date with a tall one tonight ;) 6'2", 160 lb.s with less body fat than I have :wacko:

gotta a date with a tall one tonight 6'2", 160 lb.s with less body fat than I have

Dude, you have to have priorities. Mine are shooting!!! But I got those figured out now, so..... Let you mind wander into the gutter of my world :D

Dude, you have to have priorities. Mine are shooting!!! But I got those figured out now, so..... Let you mind wander into the gutter of my world :D

It's a mixed up, shook up world

• 2 weeks later...