Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Box Size

GentlemanJim

Boxes are arbitrary fault line boundaries. The current rules say fault lines must rise 2cm above the surface they're placed on (think about a 2cm high box in grass, it wouldn't rise above the surface). There's no standard size (length and width) but the common size I've seen are 3'x3'.

2.2.1.2 says fault lines should be a minimin of 1 meter in length but the rules have nothing dealing with a box. I bought 10' sections of PVC pipe and cut 2 2' pieces & 2 3' pieces. Get whatever size you need for your terrain. I use them 3' wide for box to box transitions & 2' wide with a target at the front for barricade work.

• 1 year later...
I think it's is inside dimension, as the thickness of the material isn't specified. (I've never seen anybody really care....but giving the shooter the full amount of "shooting area" would seem proper.)

That was my assumption too...Thx.

This is from the USPSA Club Progam Manual. It might be outdated. I can no longer find the link on USPSA that I downloaded the PDF file from.

Flex, the whole document is 3.10 MB. Is there any way to get a variance to upload the whole thing. There's a lot of good info in it people seem to have been looking for recently.

Presentation1-5.jpg

I think it's is inside dimension, as the thickness of the material isn't specified. (I've never seen anybody really care....but giving the shooter the full amount of "shooting area" would seem proper.)

Flex I would disagree, I think it should be outside.

My reasoning is you are not outside of the shooting area unless you are touching the ground out side the boundaries. so if the boundary is to be 3x3 I think it should measure 3x3 on the outside not the inside, but dang this is really splitting hairs and I have yet to see anyone with a tape measure on my boxes and if I ever do, that will likely be the day I give up and walk away.

Flex I would disagree, I think it should be outside.

My reasoning is you are not outside of the shooting area unless you are touching the ground out side the boundaries. so if the boundary is to be 3x3 I think it should measure 3x3 on the outside not the inside, but dang this is really splitting hairs and I have yet to see anyone with a tape measure on my boxes and if I ever do, that will likely be the day I give up and walk away.

Dan,

You bring up a valid point for USPSA shooting as one might - depending on the stage stand on the edge of the box.

For Steel Challenge the only stage I think one might stand on the edge would be for Outer Limits on the 4x4 box.

Maybe a good question for Front Sight.