Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Mag Changes And Short Thumbs!

5Shot

I have pretty short thumbs, and there is absolutely no way to drop a mag without shifting the pistol in my hand.

I want to stay in production and use the 1911 that I have, so that leaves out any mods like the "Devel" pistol mag releases.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks,

5Shot

I have pretty short thumbs, and there is absolutely no way to drop a mag without shifting the pistol in my hand.

I want to stay in production and use the 1911 that I have, so that leaves out any mods like the "Devel" pistol mag releases.

Thanks,

5Shot

Don't Panic!

Having said that, go to the 3GM video page, where they have some excerpts of that video, and watch the slow motion reload of Max Michel (I think) in clip 3:

http://www.doublealpha.biz/shop/shop_movie.html

In short, it's not a problem, it's a technique.

H.

Thanks,

5Shot

First---If you are talking about USPSA Production Division, you can not shoot a 1911.

DAO, DA/SA, and "Safe action" pistols ONLY in Production.

I too have short thumbs. On the 1911 that I use in L10 and PSSD, I use a Wilson

mag release. The one with the rectangular button that extends rearward. I also

have a substantial groove in my left grip panel where my thumb lays when reaching for the

release. I use skateboard tape on the 1911, but on my Glocks I use Brooks Tactical

A-Grip. It gives me a good grip, but lets my hand slide a little to reach the mag release.

Another possibility (and a bit spendy) is a right side mag release. I shot Lisa Munson's

Limited S_I a while back, and she uses a right side release. Press it with the trigger

finger to dump the mag. SWEET.

Bill

funny.. I'm a lefty so I use my trigger finger. cant get Dq'd that way, and it sure is easy. my guns stippling is dremeled down right where my index finger brushed against the grip. no more blisters. I wanted to reverse my setup too when I first got it, but after an hour of shooting, It felt so much more natural to use my index finger because my grip didnt change, and the dexterity of my trigger finger is much better than my thumb. Ive been practicing reloads a lot and am I am so glad I kept the mag release button on the left for my lefty shooting. try it! you'll almost laugh at the ease and quickness.

+1 for Jim's right-side mag release. He let me borrow one to try in 2005. I now have one in both limited and open pistols. They're great for those of us stubby of thumb. They're also easy to install.

Liota

• 3 weeks later...
you can get a right side mag release from jimmy mitchell. click here.

I do have a short thumb too and have to change grip with every reloads and move my hand again to the firing position which really slows me down. Will this fit the 2011 (sti) frame too? I may try this to minimize my weaknessess.

Depending on individual anatomy, some folks can use their middle finger under the trigger guard to hit a weak hand side mag release. If you can do it, it works great - often there's no need to shift the gun in the hand at all, so no issues with reacquiring the firing grip.

kevin c

• 5 weeks later...

I started off using an HK USP in production. I just learned to use the trigger finger to press the mag release. I good point to using this is that my trigger finger comes off and out of the trigger guard to press it (ie; trigger finger is off the trigger for mag change), very little shifting of my thumb (if any). WHen I bought an STI edge for standard (L10), I purchased a Mitchell right sided mag release. MY thumb doesn't have come off the safety at all. ;)

Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers seemed to enjoy it when they participated in the development of the New HK45 (using the finger for mag release).

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I had this problem as a new shooter and due to not being able to get the hang of adjusting my grip to hit the mag release with my right thumb, I started using my left thumb to hit the mag release as I released to grab a mag. Having done it for a while I found that I was losing little if any time on a mag change - it just became a natural motion for me. People who see me use my left thumb can not believe it - they can't distinguish the motion or time required from a typical right thumb "release".

That said, I did purchase the STI mag catch button which now allows me to use my right thumb for mag release - makes me feel normal but not sure it is any faster.

I'm sure that there are a lot of folks who will say that using your off hand to hit the mag release before going down to the next mag is costing you a tenth or two, but I'm also pretty sure that, outside a standing reload, it probably isn't costing you significant time over the COF.

I had this problem as a new shooter and due to not being able to get the hang of adjusting my grip to hit the mag release with my right thumb, I started using my left thumb to hit the mag release as I released to grab a mag. Having done it for a while I found that I was losing little if any time on a mag change - it just became a natural motion for me. People who see me use my left thumb can not believe it - they can't distinguish the motion or time required from a typical right thumb "release".

That said, I did purchase the STI mag catch button which now allows me to use my right thumb for mag release - makes me feel normal but not sure it is any faster.

I might have to give that a try during some dry fire practice. Thanks for the idea.

5Shot

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure that there are a lot of folks who will say that using your off hand to hit the mag release before going down to the next mag is costing you a tenth or two, but I'm also pretty sure that, outside a standing reload, it probably isn't costing you significant time over the COF.

You have got to think though. After everything is picked apart and dissected, this is a sport where a tenth of a second will cost you very valuable points. I've seen a tenth of a second as the difference between first and second place. Just my two cents. Don't take this to heart. I'm fairly new and only 15. (Why is it a penny for your thoughts but you have to put your two cents in? Someone is making a penny somewhere. :lol: -Steven Wright)

Edited by Kyle J