Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Shot The Black Rifle...and I Got Hard....

Pin Shooter

Today I shot my new AR15 for the first time, and wow....that's a lot of fun....

I know, I know, wrong forum area, but since I am a revolver shooter first and foremost, I figured that I would pass this on to my piers rather than some "auto" strangers. I took 200 rounds with me to the range to sight it in and had to buy another 100 rounds when I was there. The only reason that I came home was it started getting too cold. I got double taps down to .13 on target " gas Bottle at 25yards " ( it is Kentucky remember )

Back home I had a .223 bolt action rifle for almost 10 years and I only put a total of 700 rounds through it in 10 years. I could see this semi auto thing becoming an expensive addiction.

That's the end of the story...I had to tell some one...The wife just kept on saying that's nice dear, that's nice.... :wacko:

i can relate to that. Shot a friends semi complete AR build (no rear sight :P but he wanted to shoot it anyway) and man that thing feels good. Recoil? what recoil? Most of my rifle shooting experience was with .308 chambered long guns and that .223 felt goooddd :wub: .

i need one too. too bad its not legal where i'm at. yet. :ph34r:

Mark,

Just wait until you get an M1A (M14 semi auto)............it is the "revolver" of rifle shooting. :D

How's that for tying it in with wheelgunning? ;)

yep black rifle is fun, but nothing like shooting a real rifle with WOOD :P

Hopalong

Tie In.....

Pin - Now try to tie the things that you have learned from Revo into the rifle.

Trigger control, and sight alignment. Visual patience. With the low recoil many find that the lessons learned from handgun transcend easily into rifle.

When I instruct new shooters I always begin with handgun first. Once they begin to understand and employ the concepts, it is easy to take them to the 'black gun'.

Heck you can even use your IPSC targets for fun. The lower Alpha is for handgun, then transition to rifle using the upper Alpha only.

The AR-15 is not only addictive to shoot, it is also addictive to own and customize. I have heard it referred to as the "small block Chevy" of the rifle world.

There are so many ways to set them up, you cannot just own one ;-)

Aero,

I have allready taken all my revolver lessons to the rifle....slap and pull the trigger irratically, and try to have the same flinch every time to increase consistency. :blink:

I still can't get it into my holster though, and I keep bending the moonclips, every time I do a reload... :lol:

8 shooter...

You don't want one.....Much... ha ha ha ha ha ha.....but knowing you I am sure that you will probably have one soon, stored in your "other safe". When you get here I will take you shopping. They are cheaper than your old 586 if you know where to look. Remember the golf balls at the IRC.....You should see them go with a .223..... :unsure:

Goerge,

I know what you mean, I came home and hopped straight into the catalogues. ;)

Later

Mark

Welcome to the world of the BadBlackRifle!

I joined the Army in 1981 and was issued a brand spankin' new M16A1, right out of the box! First one to clean it and shoot it and clean it :D . Since that time I have been issued an M16A2, -A3 and an M4 and carried them to all four corners of the planet in both peace and war and love that little guy...the only thing I've done to mine is add a JP Trigger and an EO Tech Holosight. Every home needs one!!! :P

I love mine too. One of my favorite things about it is how great a starter rifle it is for people that aren't used to shooting. I've made converts of quite a few non-shooters by putting some clay targets on a berm at 100 yards and letting them shoot them with my AR EOtech combo. It's easy to use, ammo is moderately priced, has very little felt recoil, and yet carries enough energy into the berm that even if they don't exactly "hit" the target, they usually get broken anyway so there's a high success factor. The only drawback I can even think of is that it's kind of noisy and you need to make sure they use good hearing protection but even the big boom is kind of a turn on for some new shooters.

One of the best things about it is the "bad @$$" factor. When you let someone drive your big black macho "military assault rifle", they feel like they've really done something and they can't wait to go home and tell all their friends about it. It generates the kind of enthusiasm that turns non-shooters into new-shooters very readily and I would want to have one even if I personally never got to shoot it just for that reason.

John

you cannot just own one ;-)

Ain't that the truth! :lol:

I wanted wood furniture on my M1A (just seems like an M1 should have a wood stock) but I found too good a deal on one with a synthetic stock. Couldn't pass it up.

Now the only real rifle I have with a wood stock is my Garand. Fulton Armory did such an awesome job rebuilding it that I just don't want to shoot it. :wub: