Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imac Opinions

Steelshooter3

My wife has decided that my Apple IIGS just doesn't cut it anymore as the home computer. She has demanded that I purchase her one that allows her to surf the net and accomplish/communicate with her work. While I was out looking at computers, I saw the iMac. Would appreciate your input/opinions both pro and con about these computers. I am also looking at a Hewlitt/Packard that has dual-core processor. It has more ram & a larger hard-drive than the iMac for about the same money. I am looking for a computer that is easy to use, expandable, able to use some PC written software. I do not presently have internet at home so I would be looking at needing to set that up also - preferably wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

i've been using an iMac G5 for over a year now and it's been great! Some apps/software not available for it but the ones i need are there(depends on what you do).

Very stable platform. I'm not too worried about virus, malwares, freezes, crashes, etc much; browsers (Firefox, Safari) is way better than IE. iTunes, iMovie, iCal, iPhoto became a part of what i do, too.

A lot of other reasons that it just fits for me and my wife.

The iMac is a great computer, it comes with Wi-Fi or Airport as Apple calls it, plus bluetooth wireless built-in. Also has the intel Core 2 Duo processor, which you can run Windows natively if you wish. All Apple computers come with a great suite of software called iLife which lets you make podcasts, movies, burn DVD's and CD's, make websites, manage all your digital photo's and do great things with them. Go to apple.com and look it over, the refurbished products are also a good way to get a great value. You can find that link on the lower left of the main store page at Apples website. I would wait and see what Apple has coming out this next week, they have there big show releasing updated products on tues. PM if you have any questions.

If she NEEDS PC compatability and you are NOT seriously computer literate, or you don't have anyonje who is a Mac genius nearby, you will have serious issues getting Win XP to run on one of the new Mac Intel machines. If you could muster the IT skills it takes to lever XP onto a new Intel Mac as a second boot partition, then the Mac would be a good choice.

The need for PC apps is the dealbreaker here. The new HP machines seriously suck hind teat IMHO (I worked their promo tour and have hands on experience to back that up). The Dell laptops and desktop systems are the best value going in PC land and have support that actually works (HP is support hell if you have trouble. Can U say Bangaladesh?).

If you can walk away from PC compatability, the new Mac with an Intel core will be the best machine you ever used, but it looks to me like you are stuck and the Mac can't be your choice unless you hire someone like me to build the machine up as a dual boot for you. The end cost of doing this add's 3-400 bux to the cost of the Apple base machine. No win situation if you are on a budget. ;-/

Erik - No, I am not kidding. My Apple IIGS is still running although it is getting hard to find ink cartridges to the imagewriter II printer.

George - I am the least computer literate person you have ever met. Appleworks was the only program I ever was able to really work with comfortably. However, two of my son's roommates at the local university are computer science majors. One of them was the one that suggested I look at the iMac so I imagine he could help me with it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

No, I am not kidding. My Apple IIGS is still running...

If you're an Apple user now, stay that way and go with the iMac. You will not be disappointed and you'll love the new Apple machine! B)

-Chet

Chet, that is exactly what I would recommend if it weren't for this PC App's thing for the wife.

I think you can get through it with your son's friends help, but ONLY if you have them adhere to a set of basic steps that MUST be followed, but are NOT published information. I have done over 10 Bootcamp hard drive splits and XP Pro installs on MacBook Pro's and MacBook's. There are quite a few quirks and because Bootcamp is Beta code for Apple, the yDO NOT support it in any way on their site other than their basic instructions.

I have lots of knowledge gained by hammering XP into quite a few of these beasties. It is not that hard, but it does not go easy either, nor does it work the same from model to model, or even the next time on a similar machine. Sometimes it takes several tries (including re-partitions) to get it to go right.

Because Bootcamp has to provide a custom set of drivers that must be installed in XP at first boot for the Apple hardware to work at all and the fact that Bootcamp is Beta, means that if Apple changes ANYTHING in their production machines, they are under no obligation to update the driver content in Bootcamp, let alone even inform you about the hardware/firmware changes they stuffed into the new gear that disabled something you thought was gonna' work. There are a number of hacks available that play catchup on this type of stuff which is why the newest models are always the hinkiest.

Do a web search about "October MacBook Pro's" and enjoy the tip-o-the-iceberg ;-)

If you decide to stay with a Mac for your wifes needs and go the dual boot step with Bootcamp, PM me and I will send you a list of do's and don'ts for having an easy time of it.

BTW, Parallels and Wine ( http://www.winehq.com/ ) do run Windows apps right from X, but they only work with Word, Excel, Acrobat and other simple/standard stuff. Autocad will NOT be running this way ;-/

George - Thank you for your responses. Once the boys get back to school after the holiday break, I'll show them this thread. They will know the right questions to ask. I'm pretty abysmal when it comes to computers, kinda like my truck, when I turn it on it's suppose to run. If it doesn't it's time for a mechanic. If the iMac isn't doable, which Dell desktop do you recommend? It doesn't have to be entry level but I don't need the game blaster mega model either. Also, in simple terms what is the problem with running PC programs on the new Intel Macs. I thought it was pretty common for most Macs to be able to run them these days.

I thought it was pretty common for most Macs to be able to run them these days.

They are capable of doing it, but because they use different driver sets and different Boot ROMs (XP runs on BIOS and OS X runs from Open Firmware), you cannot just install and run Wintel programs inside X and X progreams inside XP. You have to have a set of drivers and an emulator that carves out a Wintel partition to run Win Apps inside X. The best one out there is Parallels but it wants 5-10GB plus of your hard drive and it still does NOT emulate XP 100% so it will not run everything, especially games and CAD stuff. 3rd party software like REI Homeworks for real estate work and other similar dedicated apps won't run in the emulator either, so you have to use Bootcamp and create a full dual-boot machine to use stuff like this.

When you run XP as a boot-to option, the Mac becomes a 100% PC machine. When booted in X using an emulator, it is at best a 75-80% PC compatable. Some stuff just DOES NOT work this way.

The other emulator that is available is Crossover. It uses DarWine as it's code base and instead of carving out a 5-10GB partition from your hard drive like Parallels does to run Wintel inside X, it runs the individual Wintel apps inside their own code containers called Bottles (hence the DarWine designation). It is no more compatable than Parallels, maybe lese even.

When the new Intel Macs are booted fully to XP using Apples Bootcamp utility, they are 100% compatable machines and they are also the fastest danged PC you have ever used. They literally scream when running XP boot native :-)

I have clients that have moved to MacBook Pro's from high ends Vaio's and ThinkPads and they say the PC's are sluggish running XP compared to their Duo-Core Intels Mac's ;-)

Chet, that is exactly what I would recommend if it weren't for this PC App's thing for the wife.

I think you can get through it with your son's friends help, but ONLY if you have them adhere to a set of basic steps that MUST be followed, but are NOT published information. I have done over 10 Bootcamp hard drive splits and XP Pro installs on MacBook Pro's and MacBook's. There are quite a few quirks and because Bootcamp is Beta code for Apple, the yDO NOT support it in any way on their site other than their basic instructions.

I have lots of knowledge gained by hammering XP into quite a few of these beasties. It is not that hard, but it does not go easy either, nor does it work the same from model to model, or even the next time on a similar machine. Sometimes it takes several tries (including re-partitions) to get it to go right.

Amen, brother.

I do not consider myself a Mac novice by any means, but after four attemps to load XP onto our new Mac Mini, I gave up and went to a used Dell laptop instead. <_<

-Chet

it is getting hard to find ink cartridges to the imagewriter II printer.

You are my hero. :)

:lol:

Refill 'em. When I got to where I could refill all four cartridges - and not have one drop of ink on my fingers or anywhere but in the cartridge or the sink - I considered myself at GM level.

be

(Sorry to continue the thread drift.)

------------------------------------------------------

Amen to everything George says. A funny memory came to mind - Henning said it to me at Shot Show once, regarding Arnt Myhre, after Arnt had just explained a marketing strategy to Nosler that they should embark on. Henning turned to me and said - "Everyone should just do everything Arnt says." It was so funny because it was so true.

be

Erik - Thanks, it's nice to be someone's hero :D . My wife thinks I'm just cheap. I think I would rather spend the money on a Dillon 1050(she wasn't amused).

Brian - I prefer to stay unclassified in the ink refill competition arena. With my skills that is one disaster I think I want to avoid.

George - Thanks again for info. Will by the beer if ever we meet! My wife is a nurse and is working as an admission director for a assisted living facility. They have specific programs designed for their facility. She wants to be able to access those programs and be able to work from home when she writing assessments, etc. It sounds like the hard drive split will need to be the way. In the meantime, will continue to research all possible solutions. Thanks again - Dan