Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The perfect stage

Dan Bone

I'd just like to get some feedback from the shooters. I put on two matches a month / 5 stages each. I'm in a constant struggle to please the shooters. I refuse to just throw up some targets as I've experienced in some clubs. The stages have to be challenging and fun, but there's a fine line there. You have to design them so they are easy enough for the new/average shooters to complete and not become discouraged. Yet, if they're too simple the experienced shooters consider them a waste of ammo. and a bore. What do you enjoy?

1 use hard cover more instead of slamming up no-shoots, you can make the shots tougher without making the penalties too great for the newer shooters, amiss is bad but a miss ans a no shoot is harsh...also a miss can be easily made up with only a time consequence, but a make up shot that turns into another no shoot hurts.

2 Mix up the distances...don't put everything at 30yds, and don't stuff large number of targets at 3 yds.

3 mix up the target banks, shotting clusters of 8 round or 6 round target banks is boring, put them where they make sense.

4 make the stage make sense, don't set up with the primary goal to be max round count, set up only what is needed to test the skills you are after, don't clutter the range with more targets to give the shooter "more rounds' my experience is with a well designed stage the shooters will not actually pay attention to how many rounds they fired...if it was fun and well thought out.

I'm sure I'll come up with more tip latet

Pat

A perfect stage has no discernble target arrays and the shooter can shoot it almost all on the move becauses it flows smoothly from target to target.

Big shooting area with engagement dictated by vision barriers, not fault lines.

No targets close enough to get tape blown off by muzzle blast. Few targets beyond 25 yards. Hardcover or no-shoots on the close targets, and/or some arranged sideways or upside-down so the shooter has to look for the A zone.

Some small steel to keep people honest.

This may not be the right place to ask this question but since a few of you use turners i have some things i would like to know.  We are a very low budget range and i build some of the target stands. The swingers are easy enough but i cant figure out how to make the turners.  I would like to know how they operate and if anyone has built them before.  I am most interested in the ones where the target just turns and does not drop.  any help would be appreciated.  Charles

Charles:

I have built two drop turn targets as depicted in the USPSA manual (taught welding for years and still have a key to the shop). The drop turners work well if you watch what you are doing.

I am going to build some turning targets as soon as we get enough money ahead to buy a commercially made one to copy. Oh my, I didn't say that did I?

Ron, Ghost Town has a triple turner.   Excellently done.  It uses springs loaded against a latching trigger.  Faces 3 targets at once on ball bearings no less!   I'll make a mechanical drawing for you.   You can build a single or a whole mob.

'Imitation is the sincerest form of ripoff.' - William Shakedown

In addition to all the other excellent recommendations - try to set up ALL the stages so they will take approximately the same time to complete. Not doing this can make an "all-dayer." i.e. - Don't have three 12 second stages and then have a plate rack at 15 yds on stage four - and then shoot stage four twice.

be

On field courses keep it totally free style.  Present a problem to the shooters and let them figure out the best way for THEM to shoot it.  I love having people shoot a stage a bunch of different ways, manys times I have said, man I wish I had seen or thought of that.

All of our courses are freestyle over here, it doesn't necessarilly mean choice though.

Range restrictions force designers to prop the hell out of the course so there there is only one way to shoot it.

Concidering the burnout factor constructing such courses, I would be just as happy to shoot box to box.

P.D.

• 1 month later...

You have to design them so they are easy enough for the new/average shooters to complete and not become discouraged. Yet, if they're too simple the experienced shooters consider them a waste of ammo. and a bore.

Dan, from what I've experienced at your matches, they are not a bore. The inexperienced shooters need guidance (gameing?) on the high round count stages, in breaking them down in to simple segments, which should be done by the experienced shooters, but they are too busy gabbing. (Same old versus new shooters) I’ve tried to help, also Richard, Kurt ect.

You construct an excellent match.

Bob.