Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Ipsc Standard Magazines

cbrussell

• 2 weeks later...

126mm Mags won't fit the box

If you include the +1 base pad form Dawson made for IPSC, the mag would be too long.

120mm mags are the way to go. FWIW, I put Grams guts in most of my mags, and it works great. 17s reloadable with regular STI tubes and dawson pad.

18s reloadable with Rescomp tubes.

I suggest you to make a search on the Global Village, there are some topics covering it.

Today's best combination is Rescomp tube, trimmed SV comp follower, Wolff spring w/ 10½ coils and SV +2 pad. 1+19 reloadable.

SV +2 basepads will need some trimming to fit in the IPSC box if you have a round profile slide with Bomars. Flat top slide is easier.

I've tried every combination EXCEPT the rescomps...most tubes measure about 121mm.

Maybe I should write it up for Front Site?

Anyhoo

STI 17+1

SV 18 NON RELOADABLE. I tried their new pads and couldn't get 19 OR the gun in the box.

SPS 18+1 reloadable, although the pads are plastic. You can replace them with Dawson wedges and get the same capacity.

Rescomp.... I'll know in a week.

I have two of the Brazilian ones that are a true 19+1 reloadable, but they're scarce as hen's teeth.

Edited by dirtypool40

• 1 month later...

Got the rescomps, like em, only they are more $$$ and NOT stainless.

I met ANOTHER shooter SPS sold around me too and sold him mags that would not hold the advertised 21 rounds. They are tough to deal with, but I am trying. Have a little patience, deal with ME, and I will get you good mags at a good price.

Anyhoo, I am making deals to be YOUR 21 round mag connection. I am meeting with SPS to straighten things out.... they are pretty "curvy" rightnow.

Anyhoo, I appreciate everyone's patience, I didn't want to start advertizing when I couldn't deliver a product. But things are coming into focus.

standby for details.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: SPS MAGS and dealing with them through the website:

BUYER BEWARE. You will "have trouble" getting what is advertised, and there is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE DEALING OVERSEAS.

:( Guys I really appreciate your patience.

Right now things are at a standstill.

SPS is still selling misleading products on the internet to US customers when I am supposed to be their "exclusive US distributor" :rolleyes:, and making people mad because the stuff they are selling DOES NOT do what it is advertised to.

They never seemed to have enough to sell me any for inventory. Then they came to the FL Open with NO TUBES and didn't even show up for Sunday. I don't know what's going on, but it is the most "interesting" business management and ethics model I've ever seen. They'd rather make a quick $1 selling around me and making people mad, than making $1,000 working with me and being sure folks are happy.

Everyone who has tried to work with them in the past, tried to warn me.

I’ve spent the better part of a year trying to help them understand our rules and market and let's just say “I was not rewarded for my efforts”. <_< I haven't sold any mags or tubes and I'm about at the end of MY patience. When you are ready to write a check for 5 or $10k and they can't seem to deliver, things are unquestionably fishy.

Anyone interested in making them work and getting a 21 rounder feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help you where I can, for free, but I will probably not have mags to sell.

Sorry. I tried. :rolleyes:

I've tried several combos of tubes , guts and SV+ pads, and none of them fit the box !

The pad is too long for round sided slides, even my three sided SV doesn't fit the box.

You'll have to trim a lot to make it fit, but with Rescomp tube, 9 1/2 coils Grams follower/spring, the SV pad works very well (but too long :( )

I've tried several combos of tubes , guts and SV+ pads, and none of them fit the box !

The pad is too long for round sided slides, even my three sided SV doesn't fit the box.

You'll have to trim a lot to make it fit, but with Rescomp tube, 9 1/2 coils Grams follower/spring, the SV pad works very well (but too long :( )

Julien,

let's talk about this in Nice, I can probably help ... ;)

At FL Open I was at the SV booth with a CNC cut aluminum box, and my gun. I tried their pads on their mags and mine.

First there was some confusion within SV :rolleyes: about how many rounds their mags held. Upon actual "I have a pocket full of rounds do you mind if I check them" evaluation, even with their new longer pad their mags only hold a very tight 18. That is without cutting springs and I think you could probably get a load-able 18 rounder out of them. I do not believe their claim of 19 rounds.

As to the fit, My gun, a flat topped, squashy bomar gun, and would NOT go in the box with the SV pad on ANY of my mags. It's only a mm or so, but short of doing damage to gun or box I don't believe it will fit.

Sure, if you intentionally built a gun to use those pads, deeper bomar, short front site etc, I am sure you could find a way to get it in the box. But a round topped edge in the box with those mags? I would have to see that to believe it. I am really surprised they would make something that "gun specific".

I have used a variation of Skywalker's recipe and have a (tough to but possible) loadable 19 rounder, with a Dawson pad, and the gun drops right in the box.

Just beware if you shoot a round top gun, or haven't tested them and just take a salesman's word for "they hold this many and fit in the box", you might end up in open. :huh:

Edited by dirtypool40

• 3 months later...

Hello: This is what I found out tonight. With the STI 126mm mags you can use the Dawson international basepads and they fit the box. The SVI 126mm mags will not fit with the Dawson basepads. I then tried the Arredondo basepads and they will not fit with the SVI mags. The flat bottomed STI/SVI standard basepads don't fit the box(they would if you grind them). The round bottom STI/SVI basepads fit the box. My homebuilt STI 2011 is a round top with Bo-Mar rear and Dawson front sights. The guts I use for IDPA are the stock STI to lock the slide back. For USPSA I use Grams setup. I also have some Arredondo followers and they work well. I would use ISMI springs and a follower that does what you want it to do (lock back or not). Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

My .2 cts

I think the main issue about mag length is because SV and STI don't advertise the same thing.

SV gives the overall length of the tube, while STI gives the overall length of the mag, pad included.

STI mags are a little bit shorter and fits the IPSC box more easily than SV tubes. But SV also makes 120mm tubes that are the correct length for IPSC box if you put some base pad on it (SV, Dawson or else...).

As an owner of 10 SV 126mm and 1 SV 120mm mags, I always wondered why SV bother making the 126mm mags???? It doesn't fit the IPSC box so that leaves out the "Standard" crowd. And if the "Limited" crowd wants something longer then their 120mm mag, they will go with the 140mm for extra rounds.