Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What A Mess :d

markwilliston

Still setting up for a practice load, I had what I thought was gonna work out really well today. The bullets are a copper jacketed 200gr flat nose that I had used in ealier in the year.

With 4.7 gr of Titegroup I guess there just wasn't enough pressure cause it was soooooo dirty.... it made a mess everywhere

All part of the learning curve :) The RO who has used those particular bullets alot said to try it again at 1.230 so I will try that and see what it does.

On the bright side, they fed great.

If the OAL you used earlier fed great, I'd leave it alone. Bump the charge up a bit, shoot it over a chrono and be done with it.

I developed a 200 swc load for a friends wilson and we found the OAL of 1.23 didn't feed the greatest while it fed in my kimber just fine (i know, i shouldn't be comparing a $800 mass produced gun to a $1700 hand fit gun but come on!! that $1700 gun better eat any ammo i throw at it :angry: for that price!!!). The 1.25 fed awesome in the wilson and my kimber. go figure :wacko: .

Though one thing i did notice, his wilson compared to my kimber required a bit more powder to get to the velocity we were looking for. loose barrel for a gun fired less than 500 rounds :mellow: ?

Edited by yoshidaex

my first choice for 45 acp powder is straight clays. I started off reloading with TG and have loads for the 9, 40 and 45 in different weights. dirty but cheap, easy to get and meters pretty decent. Loading TG to higher velocities should make it burn a bit cleaner though it still leaves a slight film on the business end of a gun.

Mark,

One of the things I have learned about TG powder is that if you download a round it will smoke.

I use 5.0 grains of TG with a 200 gr Precision bullet and pf runs about 170. The only time I see smoke is when shooting into a low sun.

OTOH, if you want really clean, IMO, shoot Vitivouri powders. Expensive, but super clean.

FWIW

dj

Set your seating die with a round of factory 230 ball ammo. Feeding problems and OAL questions are gone. As long as the gun is reasonably close to set up right it will feed any bullet you can put in it down to about 185 grains and up to 255 grains.

TG sucks, in 45 it really sucks. Try some straight Clays. Much cleaner, more cosnsitent, just as accurate, less temperature sensitive, and is actually not any more expensive to load due to the lower charge weights.

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked through most of a pound of Titegroup that was donated to my cause (Thanks, Jason). I am using 5.0 gr in a SA .45 with Rainer 200 gr SWC and mystery brass for a PF around 170. The load shoots real nice but I suspect that my gun sneaks out of the bag when I am not looking and rolls around in the dirt! That stuff is filthy. My only recent load to compare it to is N320 so perhaps it is partly perception but I don't think I will try to save money on powder only to waste time shoveling out the gun. It works well but yuk :P

You can shoot all sorts of powders in a .45ACP, but some are better for competition than others.

At one point a few years ago, I had too many partial cans of powder sitting unused. So, I found the correct data and shot them all up. I shot W231, Titegroup, 700X, Bullseye, Solo 1000, Green Dot, Unique, Red Dot, and maybe others.

The two main powders I started with for competition were W231, and later, Titegroup. To me TG is louder and kicks more. Or, it just seems like it does. One thing that was easy to detect was the fact that Bullseye is louder than most others and slow over the chrono.

Solo 1000 was very pleasant. So was Green Dot. But they didn't get chrongraphed, and could have been going 650fps.

Finally, I tried Clays for a couple thousand shots( like everyone said to), and stuck with it for good. Until someone gives me 4lbs. of free powder again(like they did last year), I ain't switching anymore.