Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Draft Rules Have Been Posted

BritinUSA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Great, I just bought a Sig X-5 Allround DA/SA to use in production and now I have a pistol that using the measurements according to Sig, is barely bigger than the box. It has been approved for a while now and next year I wont be able to use it?I had to save a while to buy this! Why didnt they find the largest pistol that was already approved and use those dimensions?

Great, I just bought a Sig X-5 Allround DA/SA to use in production and now I have a pistol that using the measurements according to Sig, is barely bigger than the box. It has been approved for a while now and next year I wont be able to use it?I had to save a while to buy this! Why didnt they find the largest pistol that was already approved and use those dimensions?

Send an email to your Area Director, they may not be aware of every measurement of every gun. Also post this on the USPSA forums, the BOD seem genuinely interested in cases like this. It is not too late to get a change to the draft rules.

[*]They reinstated multiple no-shoot penalties. Hey, you shot 'em .... You earned 'em! ;)

See, that doesn't make any sense to me. If you don't get extra points for an extra hit on a shoot target after the first two, why should you get extra penalties for hits on a NS beyond two? Particularly since even Delta on a NS penalizes like an Alpha.

• 1 month later...

Okay...got off my butt and finally read the rules. Here's what I had for comments (and yep put them over on USPSA too):

Rule 5.2.5 - Since when has holster positioning/spacing been necessary? The only place where this could be at all applicable would be in Production Divison and the current PSSD, where concealed carry gear is used to prevent the use of 'race' type holsters and magazine pouches. In these divisions, it's a good thing. For the rest, it's not.

Rule 5.8 - Just curious as to when is this at all necessary?

Appendix D1-D3, Item 10 - See previous comment on Rule 5.2.5...especially in OPEN!

Appendix D2 & D3, Items 20 & 21 - I don't believe that the non-ported hybrid barrels should be allowed in Limited Division. It is an external modification that IS a barrel weight. The STI Tru-Sight with its non-ported compensator is equally offensive to Limited and L-10 divisions. To simply say, "it's okay because the manufacturer has made the production numbers," is no basis for compromising the integrity of these divisions. Limited and L-10 are predicated on a stock appearing 1911-based pistol can compete with some internal modifications and race gear. Where does it stop? What if I had a non-ported hybrid barrel and a tungsten non-ported compensator on the barrel...would that be okay? It doesn't have to be from a particular manufacturer since the barrel design and contour matches an approved design.

Appendix D2 & D3 - Clarify please what are "slide ports" and why are they okay in Limited and L-10 but not Singlestack?

Appendix D4, Item 6 - I don't have a problem with a minimum trigger pull, as it's supposed to be a stock/production gun.

Appendix D4, Item 7 - The box rule for Production doesn't make sense. If someone wants to bring out their Desert Eagle they should be allowed to. More realistically, will a G17L, G24, G34 or G35 fit in the box?

Appendix D6, Item 9 - What is the point of this? There is already a magazine restriction in that with the mag inserted in the pistol, it must fit in the box. Is there a fear of someone engineering a better solution? If you want to say shoot a Commander/Officer model chambered in 40 and have say a 10-11 round mag, go for it.

Appendix D6, Item 17 - Did we become IDPA and is that why there's a rule on max. weight of the pistol? Either the pistol can be modified or it can't. Either way, outline the allowed changes and go from there.

Appendix D6, Item 21 - Why are there no bull barrels allowed if bushingless barrels are allowed in Production? What if a manufacturer produces a 1911 witha barrel length greater than 4.20" in numbers great than 2000? Is it then allowed? If not based upon being a weight advantage, why again is the Tru-Sight and non-ported hybrid barrels (which ARE EXTERNAL WEIGHTS) allowed in Limited and Limited 10?

Appendix F2 - Where will the enforcement be done? At the chrono makes the most sense.

The only other thing that I'd do would be to change the divisons and add in the no camoflauge rule back to appropriate range attire. As a member of the ACTIVE DUTY Army, there are a ton of regulations that state when we can and cannot wear our uniform. If you are not in the performance of your duties, then you do not need to be in uniform. Same goes for all military and law enforcement. Further, we are a sport and there is no place for that gear in USPSA. Never has.

For the divisions, this is what I would have:

Open - w/ special category for Revolver

Limited - w/ special categories for Revolver and Limited-10

Production - w/ special categories for Revolver and Singlestack

The point for Open revolver is to bring in the ICORE shooters. The point for revolver in Limited is our current guys. The point for Revolver and Singlestack under Production is the IDPA shooters.

Rich

Appendix D2 & D3, Items 20 & 21 - I don't believe that the non-ported hybrid barrels should be allowed in Limited Division. It is an external modification that IS a barrel weight. The STI Tru-Sight with its non-ported compensator is equally offensive to Limited and L-10 divisions. To simply say, "it's okay because the manufacturer has made the production numbers," is no basis for compromising the integrity of these divisions. Limited and L-10 are predicated on a stock appearing 1911-based pistol can compete with some internal modifications and race gear...

Actually, it was Open/Modified only for several years. I should know, as I have the original prototype built by Chuck Bradley of Shooter's Connection. Cutting the slide and using the non-ported hybrid (heavier) barrel was in fact ruled an external modification not allowed for Limited. The production numbers are no different for any make and model. The non-ported hybrid guns are now a factory-produced gun independent of any 1911s or 2011s, just as are every new gun invented such as the Springfield XD. There is no weight added because the guns come from the factory that way.

BTW, I do not have the non-ported hybrid barrel to add weight. In fact, I don't even shoot it as my first choice, but only as my backup gun for Limited in case my primary gun breaks. I originally purchased it with both types of barrels so I could shoot the IPSC North American Championship in Modified Division with the ported barrel. I sold my former backup Limited pistol after the SVs/STIs with non-ported hybrid barrels became a separate Limited gun, so I hope no one changes the rules.

In this rules discussion, rather than argue what the rules should have been, consider that once shooters have equipment, changing the rules without good reason is bad. In this case, the rules for approving all Limited guns would have to be changed by adding a weight limit or some other arbitrary criteria.

• 1 month later...

Yes Butch...you can. I think the lack of 'no camo' rule is retarded, but hey...it's no longer our (USPSA) sport. We're rather quickly becoming IPSC (like why there will probably never be a World Shoot held in the US).

Rich

We're rather quickly becoming IPSC (like why there will probably never be a World Shoot held in the US).

When was the USPSA application rejected? I remember Canada and another country in Europe (?) applied for 2005 but it went to Ecuador.

Since the comment period for the 2008 rulebook is closed and the current thread drift has nada to do with the intended topic anyway I am closing this thread.