Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz Pistols

thejoe

I spent an hour or so at my local dealer looking at new pistols in .40 and .45. I'm on a tight budget so the Springfield 1911 (ideal) is pretty much out of the picture. That leaves the Springfield XD (which I like a lot) or a CZ something or other (I didn't get the model number as I was blinded by the price-- around $350). Do you all have experience with this brand? Would it be a good purchase for an in-the-meantime pistol? The guy behind the counter said that it's identical to a Beretta manufactured .40 and I recognize that name. I just don't want to regret this purchase. Thanks in advance.

joe

CZ's kick ass. They're solid guns with the best grip geometry I've felt.

What are you going to use this pistol for? Do you want to compete with it? Carry? All of the above?

The CZ75 is a classic pistol. I'd prefer it in 9mm in a non-decocker model (CZ75 or CZ75B) rather than a .40 cal for a plinker or a competition gun.

A CZ won the last World Shoot. CZ's are some of the best handguns on the market and yet one of the least known by the public at large. Competition shooters have been singing their praises for some time.

That being said there are a few different confiurations. At that price it is either a CZ75 or CZ40. The CZ75 can be in either 9mm or 40, the CZ40 is .40 only. I guess it could be the plastic CZ100, which I wouldn't recommend.

Look around this forum a bit, visit http://www.cz-usa.com , and don't worry, CZ's are workhorses. If you want to buy a CZ for competition I would recommend the a 9mm version. I fact I would recommend a 9mm anyway, the ammo is cheaper which means you will spend more time shooting it, which in turn means you will become a better shooter.

Gunshop counter help is normally pretty poor but it sounds like a Taurus and not a CZ. It wouldn't surprise me to see either in the glass for $350....

CZ is probably the best value in handguns available. Typically reliable, accurate, reasonably smooth right out of the box. Do a double take on what gun and model it is for sure, the only CZ I haven't liked is the 100 that Vlad mentioned as well.

I need to go back to the store and get all the facts. I don't see the pistol on cz-usa.com so I wonder if I was smoking something (just kidding). Thanks for the help, though. If the one I was looking at isn't a Cz I'll certainly be looking for one now.

joe

I need to go back to the store and get all the facts. I don't see the pistol on cz-usa.com so I wonder if I was smoking something (just kidding). Thanks for the help, though. If the one I was looking at isn't a Cz I'll certainly be looking for one now.

joe

Good move. The CZ-75B, 85 Combat and SP-01 are guns with all-steel frames with an all steel slide. Very accurate.

As for pedigree, they use a barrel/lockup that is a very close relative of John Moses Browning's last design before he died: the Browning P-35 High Power. Also, besides the 1911 and now, the custom Glock, they are about the only guns that have a history of being so strong that they can survive a constant diet of 9mm Major as used in our sport.

Ok, now I feel really stupid. It wasn't a Cz at all that I was looking at. It was a Stoeger Cougar 8000. The Cz's were also in the same case. I guess I assumed... And we all know what happens when I do that. So, can anyone speak to Stoeger? Good, garbage, or just another Beretta knock off? Again, thanks in advance.

joe

They are not a Beretta knockoff. They sorta are the Beretta Cougar. Apparently the entire production line was moved to Turkey and the guns are identical but they are now sold under the Stoeger line. Stoeger is owned by Beretta. I've always liked them and wanted on in .45. With the current prices I might snag one.

Don't overlook the EAA Witness CZ Clones either. They will sell for about the price you mentioned and are a remarkable value. They are made in Italy by Tanfoglio and have the ability to change uppers so you can have a multi-caliber gun. They are as strong as the Checz CZ's, and most have pretty good triggers right out of the box. Mine have proven to be very reliable and accurate.

I've done some research and figured out that, if I get enough money from the sale of one gun I will be able to go with an XD. I liked what I saw with the Cz's and the Stoeger was nice but as soon as I held the XD and read up on it I figured it would be a better purchase overall. Any comments to that?

joe

I recently purchased a nice used EAA Witness 9mm--strange I've never owned one of these in the past because it's really a cool gun! The gun was $302 shipped to my FFL, and I bought 5 more mags for $20 each, now I'm set to go if I decide to shoot it in Production division this year (occasionally).

My initial effort at doing a trigger job cost me a few bucks when I had to order a sear from the factory, but it arrived quickly and my second try went much, much better. Now it has a great single-action trigger, and the double-action pull is improved quite a bit as well.

I really like this gun. I've been playing with it out back, and ringing my little plate at 25 yards is almost too easy. Reliability has been perfect.

I'm also a big fan of the XD-9. I have a pair of them (a 5" and a 4") that I still consider my primary Production set-up. I much prefer the XD to any of the other "plastic" guns I've tried.

Good luck!

I've done some research and figured out that, if I get enough money from the sale of one gun I will be able to go with an XD. I liked what I saw with the Cz's and the Stoeger was nice but as soon as I held the XD and read up on it I figured it would be a better purchase overall. Any comments to that?

joe

I have a CZ 75B in .40 cal and while I like the pistol just fine, finding things like holsters and magazines has become more and more difficult. The XD is a fine pistol, and one which I think you will really like. Good choice.

The thing I like best about my CZ is the low bore axis. You're practically sighting right down your wrist.

I had shot a Beretta 92 in IDPA for several years. The first time I ever shot my CZ 85 was at a match, and I scored higher with it than I ever did with the Beretta.

85 or 75 doesn't much matter, unless you're left-handed. The 85b has ambidextrous safety and slide release.

I recently got an SP-01 from Matt Mink. All I can say is awesome B) I have thought about this pistol and other "production division" pistols for over a year now. I don't know why it took so long. Mine has function flawless and just feels great in the hand. Not to mention it is accurate as all get out. It was money well spent. I have shot other CZ's in the past (85b and 75) with the same results.

I've shot XD's and considered one for a production gun, but didn't fit my hand just right. Same with the Glock. I actually ordered the Glock before my CZ, and had the Glock sold before I got it. I like my SP-01 that much :D

Best thing to do if you can, is to go shoot the guns that are in your budget range. See how they feel, how they shoot, and how they work for you.

Hope this helps.

Jay,

Youre right. Ive got 5 of Matt's pieces and they are my favorite guns Ive ever owned. I like the CZ's and the ergo's are the best in the business, for me at least. Ive never found a gun that fits me well as the CZ's. IMO, the CZ's are awesome and I havent shot anything this well in a long while.

I recently got an SP-01 from Matt Mink. All I can say is awesome B) I have thought about this pistol and other "production division" pistols for over a year now. I don't know why it took so long. Mine has function flawless and just feels great in the hand. Not to mention it is accurate as all get out. It was money well spent. I have shot other CZ's in the past (85b and 75) with the same results.

I've shot XD's and considered one for a production gun, but didn't fit my hand just right. Same with the Glock. I actually ordered the Glock before my CZ, and had the Glock sold before I got it. I like my SP-01 that much :D

Best thing to do if you can, is to go shoot the guns that are in your budget range. See how they feel, how they shoot, and how they work for you.

Hope this helps.

I must agree with choices of both the CZ clones and the XD pistols. I own both types in several calibers and like them all. I also think the CZ types are very ergonomic and have a higher magazine capacity, but are a bit heavy for carry guns, though they also make a poly framed pistol but I don't own any of those yet. The XD's are very reliable pistols and excellent carry pieces, but some may find they don't fit the hand as well as the CZ types. Holsters are much easier to find for the XD's as well, though I think that the CZ type holster situation will continue to improve.

Both guns have a lot going for them and should be considered by anyone looking for a new piece. It just depends on what you want it for and how it fits you.

I had no issues finding a holster or mag carriers for my CZ, or any other CZ for that matter. For the 75's and what not, Angus has them at ghostholster.com. Blade Tech also sells holsters and carriers for them, as well as the other popular companies. Mags are pretty easy to find also. I've been seeing where people are having issues trying to find SP-01 mags because everybody is out. Popularity can suck at times I guess :D I have not seen or heard anything on the 75 mags, which can also be used in the SP-01.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that CZ's represent one of the best values in handguns. I own both a CZ-75SA and a CZ-40B. I personally like the ergonomics of the CZ-75 types. Both of the guns are reasonably accurate and utterly reliable with reloads from very low velocity to full power.

i'm pretty much a CZ man when it comes to pistols. my daily carry is a P-01 and my match pistol is a matt minked SP-01. i actually just got my P-01 slide back from matt putting night sights on it (thanks matt :) ). i also own a 75BD 'Police' model. although it's technically not mine, i have a pre-B 85 with a kadet 22lr kit. all are 9mm.

they fit my hands better and i shoot better with them than any other pistols i've owned or shot. i have had a few small issues with my CZ's, mainly the 75BD. it had extaction/ejection issues causing stove-pipes. it went back to CZ-USA where it got the chamber polished and an extra power extractor spring and has been flawless ever since. the P-01 and SP-01 have never malfed and will both eat/cycle anything i've put in them.

frye

While I recognize that CZ has a good rep here which means a lot I feel they're kinda' cheaply made. The frames look like painted pot metal. Which brings to mind a question: how has the finish held up on the CZ (esp. those of you who use them on a daily basis)?

joe

Sans hardchrome, in this game very few finishes make it very long. The CZ's are, in most cases several hundred dollars cheaper then a comparable non-Czech gun. There is a little give on the finish, but I personally have had no problems with the CZ I shoot, alot. But then again, I could care less about how it looks!!. It is all personal preference on whether you want a pretty gun or not.

Just my $.01

Mike