Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Question

ATMester

I'm going to order a 650 from Brian this week (unless if he talks me out of it -->550 vs. 650 then I want a case feeder, I'm sure I'm gonna drive him :wacko: )

I'm completely new to this. I never reloaded before. (a book on it and some research on the web)

Here is what I plan to do:

bunch of 230 grain precision bullets and 8 pounds of CLAYS and federal large pistol primers

3.8 grains, 1.220 oal, precision 230s and 3.7-3.9 grains of clays.

I aim for major pf and I'm going to buy an el-cheapo chronograph - just to keep things out of the guess work.

Now I read somewhere that federal primers and the XL 650 don't really get along. <----is this true???

Can I use different primers with the same setup?

Any help-opinion appreciated Guys

Edited by TheHun

Federal primers are fine in the 650. I use them in my lightly sprung pistol loads on the 650 all the time without incident.

Other primers should be fine too, I like Winchester primers but everyone seems to have a favorite. The key issue to work out is do you need softer primers (for a lightly sprung gun), middle of the road stuff (everyday ordinary loads), or something very hard to resist high pressures (loads on the edge of safety).

If you have a local retailer for powder, I would hold off buying 8lbs of Clays. Buy 1lbs of Clays locally and verify the load will work in your pistol before you have 8lbs on hand that doesn't work out for you. Kudos to buying a chrono too, it's an important safety tool.

Oh, and my last bit of advice is go for the 650, especially since you're interested in the casefeeder. The powder check station is great.

i've used federal primers for quite some time and have no problems. I've heard of some reloaders who experienced primer blowup but i think that can be attributted with those that can crank out 1500+ rounds in one hour. i'm a bit more deliberate in my lever actuation and can feel if a primer is seated sideways or backwards (though there are a few that get by once i get into the rythym :D ) i'll probably stick with federal for my LPP (for the revolver loads). i may change to winchester for my SPP maybe even SRP for all my small primer needs. mostly a cost issue for the small primer change.

a good sample round for ammo dimensions would be a factory round. If your gun runs fine with factory ammo, it wouldn't hurt to duplicate the dimensions (ie oal. sometimes crimp too but i found some really tight crimp specs on some factory rounds). i load my oal out to 1.250~1.260 and it feeds great. unloading a live round is a bit awkward but as long as it feeds good. my crimps are at .470~.471

+1 on holding off on the 8 pounder. you might find the characteristics of clays is something you don't like (recoil, cleanliness, powder drop variation, etc, etc). better to pick up in 1 pound (14 oz for clays) cans and try a few brands before you make a huge order.

+1 for the xl650. i envy those that have multiple machines with different calibers in each machine...... :(

Thanks Guys, I'll just buy primers-powder localy first, (I still going to order at least 2000 rounds of precision 230's tho, no one had anything against it.)

So 650 without question...I'll let Brian know tomorrow, that he has no chance:D

I had some issues with MY XL650 and a batch of Fed. primers.

It seems to have been just an issue with that batch of primers and my primer plate needing to have the holes lightly deburred.

All is well now.

Travis F.

I do love the 230 Precisions...but... You might also try the 200 semi wad cutters. They shoot extremely well from my Spartan where the 230s don't group all that well....The point being that some guns just don't like some bullets as well as others... :)

i'm not sure if its the precision delta or precision moly bullets thats being refered to.

Haven't tried either precisions for 45 acp. 40 s&w precision moly are the only bullets i use and they're great. for 45 acp, i use berry's plated 230 grain RN. no complaints with the berrys and they're reasonably priced too.

+1 on the XL650. I really love mine which I use for .45ACP. I went with Brian's As it Should Be package plus the powder check system. The powder check helps add a degree of safety and is worth every penny IMHO. I also ended up with the Dillon dies which are excellent with the exception of using a Lee Factory Crimp die in the final station.

However, it does not love Federal large pistol primers at all. Thankfully, I only bought 1000. I encountered multiple problems with them jamming in the large pistol primer magazine. One jammed so badly that I eventually had to have Dillon send me a new one (no charge of course and couldn't have been nicer.) When I talked with their tech, he said they see more problems like this with CCI and Federal primers than any others. Apparently their tolerances are not as tight as they should be.

I've now put over 6000 Winchester primers through the machine without a single problem. I also like the way they come packaged much better. YMMV but I would suggest Winchester or at least a single pack (1000) of the Federals if you really want to try them.

Edited by XD Niner

TheHun,

Brian did a video for Dillon...way back when. In that video, he gives a basic over-view of all the steps in loading on the 650. It's a good one to watch.

You have to have some reloading manuals too. These aren't mere recipe books. They contain good info on the reloading process. Please...don't just grab somebody's recipe off the forums, or even use your buddy's load... Learn what it all means.

• 4 weeks later...

I use winchester primers and have no problems. They are very consistent here is a photo of a target. I was working up a new load in this photo so every grouping is with a slightly different load. All are 5 shot groups at 100 yards on a bipod(NOT a facy stand). All good groupings one had a flyer(my bad), I love winchester Primers :)

hs2000.jpg

PS, shot with my .308 rifle, not a pistol lol

I use winchester primers and have no problems. They are very consistent here is a photo of a target. I was working up a new load in this photo so every grouping is with a slightly different load. All are 5 shot groups at 100 yards on a bipod(NOT a facy stand). All good groupings one had a flyer(my bad), I love winchester Primers :)

hs2000.jpg

PS, shot with my .308 rifle, not a pistol lol

The load used on target #2 looks like a keeper. :)

Thanks Guys, I'll just buy primers-powder localy first, (I still going to order at least 2000 rounds of precision 230's tho, no one had anything against it.)

So 650 without question...I'll let Brian know tomorrow, that he has no chance:D

Hope you have better luck buying your components locally, than I do. I have to order, and pay shipping on pretty much everything I use.

Lee

I know a lot of people love 'em, but the double charges/no powder loads i've heard about seem to be with 550's. I got a used sdb on the cheap, does all i need and i load low volume stuff on a turret press. should i ever need an upgrade it will be a 650/casefeeder.

my one piece of advice is to collect a bunch of powders and bullets and start trying small batches of stuff. i don't shoot a .45 in competition but i use a 200 swc/red dot for plinking. theres nothing worse than having lots of components that won't work. i have 400 lead plinking bullets to load right now that are undersize for my revo and won't shoot straight! you'll find that magic combo though, then buy a bunch of supplies and start cranking 'em out!

+1 on winchester primers for autos, fed. for revos.

The double charges are due primarily to not paying attention. I stand when reloading with the 550 with good overhead light. I look into each case as it comes down from the power measure station, it's right there straight down under your nose. When you stop for some reason while loading a stick of primers look at the shell casing under the powder measure, if it has powder in it don't do it again. It should be obvious that I only load pistol calibers on the 550.

When I work up a charge of fast burning powder that will not put much powder in the case I always throw an intentional double charge so I can see how a double charge looks.