Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production 9mm For A Junior Shooter

dukhunt

HI guys and gals, hope everyone is having a good holiday .. my question is I'm trying to figure out what pistol my 12 year boy should start in prod. class? i own a glock 17 and i shoot limited with para 1640. really just dont know which gun would be better for him to start with . please give your advice about where you guys started your kids. i reload 40 and 9 so that is not a issue. PLEASE HELP. Thanks alot

I like to point younger shooters towards a Limited 9mm gun for starting out. The 9mm is good for recoil and having 140mm magazines means less worry about making reloads. The G17 with some extended basepads and maybe a magwell would be a good minor PF Limited gun. Factory Glock sights are poor too. The hand size is really the only safety related thing to work out, some TruGrip will help him hang onto the frame and be safe.

After a year or so of shooting matches and improving hand strength he could move up to a major PF .40 in Limited or remove the basepads and magwell from the G17 and let him shoot Production and deal with the increased number of mag changes.

Basically I just think all of the mag changes required in Production is a lot for a new shooter to deal with.

I like the Limited minor 9mm idea from ihatepickles. Throw a brass magwell and some good sights on the gun, a couple basepads.....and then have a go of it.You can load some really nice, soft 9mm loads that will be very controllable. Good luck, let us know what you decide!

-Mike

This is what I found when I started my kids. In the beginning, until they learned to constantly apply the shooting fundamentals and found their individual DVC balance for the skill level, they used to miss a lot. Starting them in Production division was frustrating for them, it was more about changing mags than about the shooting. You want to see a 12yo frustrated, you will when he/she runs out of ammo and can't finish the stage.

Before too long my sons changed to shoot limited minor and I could see the difference in their enjoyment of the shooting, not worried about having to change mags so often.

$0.02

thanks alot for the info guys. i believe i will take your advice and start him in limited , minor pf. as for size of his hands, he has longer fingers than i do. his grip is not near as stron though. as for his build, he is 5' 7" inches tall and 120 lbs. he is my basketball star in the family. he just wants to try shooting also . again thanks for the helpful advice, and i will keep you informed on his progress. happy holidays to all

I would recommend looking at a S&W M&P 9mm, I think the interchangeable back straps are great for folks with little hands.

I forgot about the M&P. Let your youngling give the G17 a go, and see what he says. If it's too fat, well the M&P just may be the way to go.

A husband and wife team that I shoot with use a G34 and G19 respectively. The Glock 19 fits her hands perfectly.

Riddle me this...

Other than being shorter, is the grip size (circumference and reach to trigger) different on the G19 compared to the G34 ?

You will be better off getting him either a G22 or G35. The .40 down loaded to a 130 PF is softer than a 9mm. The G22/35 is the most versatile of all guns. It can be shot in Production/Lim 10/Limited/SSP/ESP.

I have a safe full (7) of Glocks. If I could only have one it would be a G35.

Edited by Joe D

Joe: You are giving up some secrets I found out this year. The downloaded 40 is lighter than factory 9mm. How is the Glock 35 for small hands? My son is 8 and is shooting my 1911 with a 22 conversion on it. He does very well with it. I have not let him try the STI 2011 yet. I think the grip will be too big. I also would like plastic gun either a XD or Glock. Thanks Eric

We have two brothers (ages 11 and 13, I think) who shoot at our club, and they have done great with XD-9 Tacticals customized by Canyon Creek. I would strongly recommend that platform for a new shooter of almost any age. It will always be an excellent Production Division gun, and if they want more "bullets" while getting started, they can load the mags full and play in Limited. Simple and safe.

On the other hand, I started my kid out at age 11 with a S&W Model 10 .38 Special revolver. After that, everything else seems pretty easy! :)

A husband and wife team that I shoot with use a G34 and G19 respectively. The Glock 19 fits her hands perfectly.

Riddle me this...

Other than being shorter, is the grip size (circumference and reach to trigger) different on the G19 compared to the G34 ?

Nah...but Michelle swears that it fits her hand perfectly.

...you Batman aficionado you :D