Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions For A Good .22 Caliber Pistol?

Gumby

I'm considering getting a .22 pistol as a supplyment to shooting practice. Any suggestions of a good .22 caliber pistol?

Depends on your goal. If you're trying to improve skills for competition, the closer your .22 is to what you will shoot in competition, the better it will help you reach your goal. If you want to improve your bullseye skills, any one of several target models will work well for you. High Standard, Ruger and Browning all make good ones for a reasonable price. If you plan to put optics on it, look for one that is designed with a scope mount base. It'll save you time, money and aggravation. Don't skimp on the optics. A bad red dot (I have one) is worse than no optics at all. If you're looking for an all 'round .22, one that will do anything, Ruger and Browning make them too. I'm partial to the Browning Buckmarks. I use mine, the hunter model, for plinking, bullseye and practice. See my comments below.

No matter what you want to do with the gun, I caution you not to do what I did. I've long held the opinion, apparently incorrectly, that a heavy barrel pistol is somehow superior to a lighter one. That has not proven to be the case for me and I'm about to have to acquire additional guns/parts to make up for my mistakes.

I purchased at Thompson Center Contender .22 with the 14 inch bull barrel. I put a very nice Leupold 4x scope on it. I wound up with a beautiful, tack driving, single pistol that's completely useless for anything I want to do. The sucker is way, way too heavy for me to even think of shooting it without a solid rest and the scope does not have enough eye relief for me to shoot it from the creedmore position favored in my club's metalic sillhouette matches. I like Contenders, but the poor choice of barrel and scope is going to cost me.

I purchased a Buckmark Hunter with a 6 inch bull barrel for my club's bullseye target competition. I equipped it with a 2x Weaver pistol scope. This time, the scope if fine, but between the scope and the bull barrel, it's a bit too barrel heavy and heavy overall for me to shoot one handed for an entire match. The best gun and the best skills aren't much use if you can't hold the gun steady for the duration of the match. I would have been better off to have picked something a bit ligher for competition purposes. The gun, however, is great for fun shooting and, from a rest, will knock the X ring out of a target at 50 yards all day long.

Lee

First thought is, if you have a 1911 type centerfire pistol, get a .22 conversion such as Ciener or Kimber. That way, you are still using the centerfire frame (grip) & trigger when you are shooting the .22. I had a Ciener Platinum which was adequately accurate & functioned well with high velocity ammo.

BTW, I'll be interested in the other answers you get.

I teach pistol classes and see a ton of .22 pistols.

I don't think for the money you can beat the Ruger.... The 10/45 version has the same grip angle as a 1911.

But my personal favorite is the Ruger with a bull barrel. Mine has fired at least 100,000 rounds over 20 years.... and has never had a repair... Not even a spring replacement of any kind.

If you are into revolvers.... My money is on the S & W model 63. A great 6 shot stainles D/A gun that flat out shoots great.

If you want a true target pistol, look into the High Standard line.

I know High Standard doesn't make them any more, someone else does and I don't know if the quality is still there or not.

They came with good triggers, fantastic iron sites and great ergonomics.

They may not feel like a 1911 but I never thought the Ruger 10/45 felt like one either.

FM

I got curious and found this link.

FM

http://www.highstandard.com/index.html

In addition to all above, you may want to consider the WALTHER P22, sold under S&W marketing.

Believe it or not it inexpensive, magazines are inexpensive too. It has ambi mag release, reloads rapidly compared to a Ruger or HiStd. It is however a DA/SA which may or may not be to your liking. It is available as a 3.5" barrel and a 5" barrel. This is an excellent training gun for IDPA, IPSC and general shooting. Not suited to well for serious BE competition, but adequately accurate.

Price under $300 and mags are about $20 each. Also it will fit (not perfect) in a number of holsters. Check it out, it's a sleeper.

Martin

Edited by Allgoodhits

If you decide to get a High-Standard, Look at the sides of the gun. You want a "Hamden" model meaning the first and best guns were made at the original plant. It was later moved to E. Hartford and QC slipped there, they also went to a hex type screw for the bbl. to be attached to the frame instead of the plunger type on the Hamden guns. I have passed on several of the E. Hartford guns for the prices they wanted.....

The newer guns are really lacking , and everyone I have seen wont run, out of the Box, even after being "tuned". I have several good original mags stashed in my safe for when I run into some "good" Hamden guns, like the supermatic trophy and the Victor....Talk about a wish for Christmas...... ;)

Regards,

DougC

I'd have to say think twice about the P22. The gun, especially with the 5" barrel and fake comp is cool as hell, but these guns are very problematic.

After a couple trips back to the factory mine still wouldn't reliably fire double action. Last night I removed the internal lock and mag safety, and it looks like double action is back running.

Tons of problems with these guns reported all over the internet.

I will say that the DA problem is all I've had with the gun. The mags are cheap and it shoots Stingers, mini-mags, and Federal bulk pack very well. More accurate with Federal bulk pack.

I got it for my daughter and she loves it, but she could care less if it fires DA.

I still can't believe I bought this gun based on a gun rag review :wacko:

I'd have to say think twice about the P22. The gun, especially with the 5" barrel and fake comp is cool as hell, but these guns are very problematic.

After a couple trips back to the factory mine still wouldn't reliably fire double action. Last night I removed the internal lock and mag safety, and it looks like double action is back running.

Tons of problems with these guns reported all over the internet.

I will say that the DA problem is all I've had with the gun. The mags are cheap and it shoots Stingers, mini-mags, and Federal bulk pack very well. More accurate with Federal bulk pack.

I got it for my daughter and she loves it, but she could care less if it fires DA.

I still can't believe I bought this gun based on a gun rag review :wacko:

Mine has never skipped a beat in 2,000-3,000 rds after switching to HV ammo. It doesn't do well on Std Vel. ammo. I have only used FEDERAL ammo. That's the benefit of a DA gun, if a missfire happens, simply pull the trigger again.

MJ

If you decide to get a High-Standard, Look at the sides of the gun. You want a "Hamden" model meaning the first and best guns were made at the original plant. It was later moved to

True on the "High Standard". Mine is a piece of junk. Two gunsmiths have tried and it's still a piece of junk. The third is a bullseye gunsmith who told me to buy a different gun once he heard what it was. An this is a guy who could build the pieces from scratch :)

I have an early 80's Ruger MK1... AWSOME GUN!!!! I wouldnot hesitate to buy another... Might actualy... The New MKIII's have some things that people dont like (Mag Safety & Loaded Chamber Indicator)... They are priced reasonable and are Great out of the box.... With a little tweaking they can be Outstanding.... Mine digests any ammo I put in it.

Billy

Probably, one of the guns that I enjoy shooting the most a Ruger MK I that I picked up at a gun show for $125. It didn't have a magazine but they are cheap enough. I have put many rounds through it.

The only drawback I have found to the Ruger is the disassembly process. I had to download a "how-to" off the internet. It's really a pain.

Now I am looking for a S&W mod 41. It's a neat gun that has received a lot of good reviews.

FWIW

dj

Ruger Mk II with a bull barrel has done very well for me. If I was buying now, I'd buy the Mk III with fluted barrel and fiber optic sight.

Also, the Russian IZH-35M is a helluva gun. Mine is super accurate, and I got it for around $300 new. Have had a few reliability issues, though.

I've got both a Walther P-22 and a SW 617 10-shot revo-

Love them both. There are many problems reported with the P-22s, I have had some too- ONLY with standard velocity ammo- once I went to the recommended (see the Owner's Manual- a lot of people don't bother to read them, I guess) HIGH velocity, not a hiccup in 10K plus rounds.

As for the revo, I shoot mainly USPSA revolver, and find the 617 a really good training tool, because I set up the sights and everything quite similar to my competition gun, and blast away with probably the most outright fun gun I own.... the trigger can't be lightened up too much (see the thread in the revolver forum), but it can be smoothed out.

Between my friends and I we have three Walther P22's. I haven't had a single problem with mine out of the box, my best friend (for whom I bought the Walther--shhhhh ;) ) hasn't had any problems either. We shoot std. vel. and high vel. It just depends on what is in the ammo box. The third guy, though, had problems with his until he got it "broken in" and now not an error (the only problem he had was jamming, anyway). So I'd feel comfortable recommending this pistol to anyone (and I do). If I were shooting a 1911 for competition, I'd seriously consider the P22 as a good practice gun.

joe

• 3 weeks later...
I'm considering getting a .22 pistol as a supplyment to shooting practice. Any suggestions of a good .22 caliber pistol?

Like others have said, if you're looking for something that maintains a 1911 style, get a conversion. If you just want a separate gun to pratice things like trigger control, sighting, etc; that can also possibly be used for competition bullseye shooting, then look at the Ruger MK III Target. My son has one of these and they are SUPER weapons for that purpose.

If you're not trying to buy a .22 that feels like your other guns I'd take a look at the S&W 22A line. I bought one about a year or two after they first came out and it shoots really well. I got the one with the bull barrel and the integral Weaver style mount and the oversized target grip that you can customize with a little sanding. I bought it after reading a review where the author comparison tested it against two of his S&W Model 41s (vintage models he uses in competition) and the 22A shot better than one of the 41s and as well as the other....hard to beat. If memory serves you can use magazines from the model 41 in them as well.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...amp;isFirearm=Y

To tear down that Walther is not an easy thing. I teach a basic pistol class and just hate seeing those things show up because they always want me to take it apart and they are just ugly. Whatever you buy, have them show you how to tear it apart so you know what you are getting yourself into.

I'm surprised no one has recomended thee 22 target pistol - S&W 41.

You really didn't say what your purpose was. The S&W 41 ruled, the High Standards were next and while the Rugers are very dependable they just never had the triggers to compete with the other two. I own a High Standard myself. I haven't shot one of the Buckmarks but have heard good things.

If you want it to help with your practical shooting or to work on flinch related problems, I think that the conversion will be better for your application than a target gun.

Rick

Edited by Clay1

Bart, only problem with the 22a is that the firing pins break within 200-1000 rounds....had three of them do the same thing.... :angry: and the frame catch in the rear snaps off as well....something about the pot metal that they make the frame out of....sure, SW takes care of them under warranty, but I hope the new ones are better than the old ones were.....

DougC