Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver And Bottom Feeder

SIXXgun

At our local matches we shoot 2 guns. Do you think it is too hard to switch between a BRT and an auto for first and second gun? I cannot seem to get comfortable switching, but there is only one revolver class and I'd hate to leave it home for two autos. Any suggestions?

JM

I switch back and forth quite a bit. I particularly like shooting my single-stacks, and recently have been playing with a couple of other autos just for a little fun in the off-season.

The single thing that helped me the most in being "platform ambidextrous" was when I quit switching hands while reloading the wheelgun. It just seems a little more natural to always keep the gun in the strong hand and reach for the reload with the weak hand. Or simpler to remember, anyway.

I do it playing 3-gun (usually). I shot a 3gun last Saturday with all semi autos and switched back to Revo Sunday for the regular match.

I will say that there is some benefit in shooting only one type for some significant chunk of time just to get the patterns and habits well established.

Have you thought of leaving the auto home for a few months? B)

Switching at a match isn't much of a deal. It's what to practice with!

If I practice a lot with the Revo, my trigger stroke on the Auto is a bit measured. Doesn't hurt anything but can slow you down a "wee lil' bit" on the hoser stages. Actually helps on the harder stuff though.

I do seem to do better if I practice with the Auto and then shoot the Revo. But it's so darn fun to shoot the Revo! :o

FWIW, you can shoot the Revo in any of the other Divisions.

Edited by pskys2

I too cross over.........Been doing some 3gun lately.

I dont have any problems with draws or reloads when shooting auto pistol. Grip technique is a little different from revo style. It's mostly the slide movement, the rear-ward then forward energy that distracts me somewhat. I think its good to change-up once in a while. It can be refreshing.

I've not tried both in a single match though.......(handguns anyway).

DanBagger

If I practice a lot with the Revo, my trigger stroke on the Auto is a bit measured. Doesn't hurt anything but can slow you down a "wee lil' bit" on the hoser stages. Actually helps on the harder stuff though.

I do seem to do better if I practice with the Auto and then shoot the Revo. But it's so darn fun to shoot the Revo! :o

Send us a picture of you shooting Production with 8 moon clips behind your hip bone. I haven't worked out my technique yet. ;)

I shoot PPC and you're pretty much required to switch guns. If you shoot the whole course in my area the match total round count is 456 rounds. 150 for a revolver 1500, 150 for a semi-auto 1500, 48 a piece for two service matches (revolver or semi, your choice) and 60 for the semi-auto match. You can shoot two revolver (or semi-auto) 1500's, and I usually tend to shoot the revolver twice towards the end of the year to improve my scores.

All the revolvers I shoot in PPC are speedloader guns, so I use the switch hands reload. I find I don't have much trouble transitioning, the semi reload is easy to hit (especially under the rather slow times used in PPC) and you just have to pay a little closer attention to the trigger on a semi (not as forgiving as a revolver).

Send us a picture of you shooting Production with 8 moon clips behind your hip bone. I haven't worked out my technique yet. ;)

I don't think I have a picture to prove it, Walt, but I have shot several matches in Production Division with an 8-shooter, complete with legal kydex holster and all moonclips behind the hip bone. Again, I'm reloading with my left hand, so all the moonclips can stay over on the left side where there's room for them. This is a very good application for those Blade-Tech double moonclip holders.

I don't think I have a picture to prove it, Walt, but I have shot several matches in Production Division with an 8-shooter, complete with legal kydex holster and all moonclips behind the hip bone. Again, I'm reloading with my left hand, so all the moonclips can stay over on the left side where there's room for them. This is a very good application for those Blade-Tech double moonclip holders.

I've done it too. It was fun. The Blade-tech holders make it feasible, but, I, too reload with my left hand. I even bought a special Blade-tech Production legal holster for it.

I've done it too. It was fun. The Blade-tech holders make it feasible, but, I, too reload with my left hand. I even bought a special Blade-tech Production legal holster for it.

I don't have an 8 shooter to play with, but I thought it would be fun. Of course, there is that new XD45 that kinda caught my eye...

I've been playing with it a bit. May even change my reload style, been watching the wife practice and she looked so smooth with the same hands technique I was embarrassed. She's never competed but I picked up a new piece of the technique from watching her. Now I just have to find some daylight and decent weather to practice with.

Reloading with the left hand would make Production so much easier.

P.S. I don't have an 8 shooter either, it'll be the 625 or nothing. Heck when USPSA first came out with Limited I did it with a M28.

:D I'm not a Production Master, but I did drive by a Holiday Inn last night. :rolleyes:

Edited by pskys2

I've gone back and forth quite a bit these last 2 or 3 years. I think it messed with me, just a little, this year. But, it was enough to make me wonder. So I think next year I am going to shoot revolver almost exclusively, even if nobody else is going to play the revolver game in MN. The biggest exception will be 3-gun matches.

I don't own a hi-capacity revolver, either. Might have to change that.

I bow to the Motel 6 Master :P , My quipping must stop. <_<

Did you wake up at 8, wishing for more? :lol:

No, a clicking noise woke me at 7. :rolleyes:

If I go with a Super 8 wouldn't that throw me into Open? :blink:

(Who knew so many hotel chains had shooting connections? :P )

I hope to get these puns out of my system before the Day's Inn. :ph34r:

Add another Production shooter with an 8 shot :) This is the only time I use a weak hand reload.

My other production gun is a Sig 226 in 9MM Set up DAO so it still has a revolver feel :D

I always intend to shoot Revolver and L10 with my 625...but then when I load my gigantic 100# action packer bin in the truck and get to the range, I just can't neglect all the other guns in there by shooting only one.

I seem to stumble through the first stage and a half after switching...and then kick on the afterburners to try to catch up. Too little too late usually. Maybe I should just practice more.

JM

I found out that shooting the revolver made my auto shooting better (I really watched the sights, and did not take any extra shots for granted)

I have shot several local matches that have a second gun on the same day with both...........I usually shoot the auto loader first, then the revo and can't say I have much trouble with it.

Hell........Try it, If you have trouble shooting the two leave the autos at home and just shoot L-10 or Production with the wheel as a second gun (twice the practice with the wheel and you can experiment with stage breakdown then compare runs ;) )

Hopalong