Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Mags

Singlestack Wonder

Just my luck. I ordered four (4) Tripp 9 round .40 mags for my new Kimber single stack project and all four would not feed. Each round dove directly down to the bottom of the feedramp. They would only feed correctly when the mag was down to 3 or 4 rounds. The mag appeared to sit very low in the pistol. In contrast, the Chip McCormick 10mm mags I have feed flawlessly and lock the slide back on an empty mag everytime. They sit so high that the round is almost lined up with the chamber. I was surprised. I contacted Tripp Research to see if there was a modification that could be done to the mags or if there was a different version that would sit higher in the pistol and they said no. I'll be sending them back for a refund.

I'm sure each of the various single stack 1911's are a little different. The Tripp's may work well in an STI Trojan and the Chip McCormicks may not.

:(

My Tripp mags for my 45's work great.

My Tripp mags for my STI trojan in .40 have been hit or miss. I have about 12 of the 9 rounders...I've had to work on all of them to work with the slide stop, they would typically hold up with a round left in the mag. Some nose dive, some don't. I recently had them tuned as well with newer springs and such, but still have problems.

I still have nose dive problems as well. I recently ordered some Chips in 10 mm as well and they work fine in the trojan and do hold the round up higher.

Just my luck. I ordered four (4) Tripp 9 round .40 mags for my new Kimber single stack project and all four would not feed. Each round dove directly down to the bottom of the feedramp. They would only feed correctly when the mag was down to 3 or 4 rounds. The mag appeared to sit very low in the pistol. In contrast, the Chip McCormick 10mm mags I have feed flawlessly and lock the slide back on an empty mag everytime. They sit so high that the round is almost lined up with the chamber. I was surprised. I contacted Tripp Research to see if there was a modification that could be done to the mags or if there was a different version that would sit higher in the pistol and they said no. I'll be sending them back for a refund.

I'm sure each of the various single stack 1911's are a little different. The Tripp's may work well in an STI Trojan and the Chip McCormicks may not.

:(

alot of mags will do that if the OAL is too long. check that before sending the mags back.

lynn

Tripp mags are nice looking,but will not feed! I have 6 of them and only use them for pratice. They will work if the gun is already loaded and you load 8 rounds. Shooting Star or nothing! 2 years same mags ZERO problems!!!!!

I can not chamber the gun with a tripp mag!

Tripp .40 are great mags. I did have a problem with some and sent them back with the gun. But I do not have any more problems. This goes for factory and long loaded ammo.

Tripp mags work for me.

Everything about a .40 S&W in a 1911 is wacky! Way too many variables just to blame the mags. JPRifles has a slide stop that is different which is suppose to help. Feed ramps on the barrels can be different which can affect feeding. So I do not have a sinlge solution other than it seems some stuff works in some guns but not others and most seems dependent upon the gunsmith who tunes everthing together.

alot of mags will do that if the OAL is too long. check that before sending the mags back.

Overall length is fine......................

When the mags are inserted into the pistol, the centerline of the top round is pointing at the bottom 1/16" of the feed ramp.

With the McCormicks, it's almost lined up with the bore...........

I'll stay with the McCormicks.

As soon as I took the shok buff out of the gun they worked flawlessly. Maybe that is your problem.

Shock buffs have nothing to do with this problem. If the round at it's highest point in the mag are aimed at the very bottom of the feed ramp, there's not enough time or space for the round to align itself with the bore before the slide closes. Again. McCormicks function 100% all the time while loading and firing. As different single stack manufacturer's models vary slightly from brand to brand, some mags will work in some pistols while others will not.

The problem that I am having is when you stick the mag in an empty gun and rack a round. It will never feed! It's NOT hiting the ramp, It's nose diving in the mag! If i lock the slide back and release it will feed!

It sounds like you are riding the slide home (by hand), not enough slide velocity to chamber the round.

When you pull back the slide let it slip out of the fingers at the rear of travel.

RePete.

Edited by RePete

nope, I always pull the slide back and let it loose! 18k rounds this year with 2 jams because of me and zero fail to feeds. Chip mags!

Tripp mags never feed at the start. Tripps will run sometimes if you load 8 and not reload on a dry gun!

I wish we could come up with a awnser i love the mags because you can take them appart and clean them!!! That's awesome.

Hello: Just great, I recieved some Tripp 40 mags for my Kimber eclipse that I'm converting to 40S&W. What is loading too long? Is 1.180 too long? I want to load for my STI and this Kimber to the same OAL. I did have the same problem with the STI I built, it would not feed by racking it by hand. I recut the ramp and it feeds fine now. The angle I used was 25 degrees. I am still waiting for the barrel for the Kimber conversion. Thanks Eric

I got 6 of those Tripp Cobra mag in 40 SW for my Trojan(couple years ago)....at first they didn't work at all, with the same ammo I was using in my Edge, basically 1.20 OAL with 180 HAP or MG JHP bullets...after trying different lenghts and bullets...they work like a charm, 180 Frontier Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) loaded at 1.20" .....the only thing is with single stack they are much harder to seat in during reload.