Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Carry Gun Poll For Idpa Shooters

MichiganShootist

Okay........ Let's see what people REALLY carry as a personal protection pistol.

I know there are a ton of shooters out there who stow their S & W 625... and carry a J frame..... Or trade their Glock 34 for a 26 after the match.

What do you carry??????????????????

I personally shoot primarily Government sized 1911s in CDP and ESP... and carry a Springfield Ultra Carry 9 mm 1911, a Colt Officer's Model 1911,---- or a Kahr PM - 9

Edited by MichiganShootist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always been my practice to shoot IDPA - and USPSA, for that matter - with my carry gun. For the past two years or so that's been a Glock 34. Though in the near future that may change to a Glock 17. If it does, the G17 will become my IDPA/USPSA match piece, as well.

It's nice to see some other people who are honest about being a gamer.

Like they say---- "If a score is being recorded then....it's a game".

Also--- I forgot to mention in opening this post--- my "house gun" and after dark carry gun... and when the weather allows a jacket... is a Crimson Trace guided custom Browning High Power.. with 15 + 1 rounds of 147 grain Federal Hydra Shok on board.

I shot this gun in ESP for a year.. but it wasn't competitive... but with the CT sights.....The laser rules after dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MichiganShootist

I generally shoot my Glock 34 and this year I will be shooting an M&P full-size 9MM in competition.

But I do on reshoots take out either my Glock 19 or Glock 26 which serve as my carry guns.

Interesting to compare my scores. Lot of time I score nearly as well with the carry gun. One thing New Year's Resolution I want to make is to use an IWB holster when shooting the 19 or 26 (or M&P compact if I can swing the $$ this year to get).

I shoot a little bit of everything, including my carry gun. But I don't shoot it out of my carry holster. I do shoot my Bugs for bug matches and of course there is no holster.

You'll need to look to posted comments to get anything out of this poll, unless you can alter it. You don't have a neither category (shoot a diff gun than a bug or carry piece). Also don't have a "carry gun, competition holster" category.

My carry gun is an illegal "gamer" gun by IPDA rules ;)

Since IDPA is a game, and since real life is not a game, I find that endlessly amusing :P

Alex

Game Noun a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Now since when is real life not a game? :D

I would fall into neither of the above myself, although I have carried with my competition set-up and I have competed with my carry set-up. I do compete and carry similar guns, a 5" 1911 and a bobtail Commander. The Commander is not small enough to fit in the BUG category. Holsters are a different story as I use an OWB kydex for competition and an IWB leather for carry.

Depending on the circumstances, I carry one of three weapons, a KelTec 3AT is the norm. It's small, light and highly concealable, but won't hit the broad side of the barn from the inside. It's an up close and personal gun at best. When possible, I carry a stock Glock 23. It's accurate enough and powerful enough to be effective in a wider variety of situations. In the woods, either just for recreation or for hunting (which I've not done in a long while) I carry my Colt Delta Elite 10mm, usually in a shoulder holster to keep it handy, but free of the Everglades mud and water. It's accurate enough and powerful enough to handle the creatures I'm most likely (but still unlikely) to wish to use it on (hogs, alligators and humans). Of the three, the Delta Elite is the only one I shoot competitively, and only as a backup to my Gold Cup .45.

Lee

It's nice to see some other people who are honest about being a gamer.

Like they say---- "If a score is being recorded then....it's a game".

Also--- I forgot to mention in opening this post--- my "house gun" and after dark carry gun... and when the weather allows a jacket... is a Crimson Trace guided custom Browning High Power.. with 15 + 1 rounds of 147 grain Federal Hydra Shok on board.

I shot this gun in ESP for a year.. but it wasn't competitive... but with the CT sights.....The laser rules after dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh, you didn't ask about house guns. My house gun is a Beretta 92-FS Vertec 9mm. Normally, I'd pick something else for home defense, but my wife's house gun (she does not carry outside the home) is a Beretta 92-F. I can pick up and shoot any of my guns effectively. She can't. I chose my house gun to closely match hers specifically because, in a crisis, I want her to know exactly how to use whatever she picks up first, hers or mine.

Lee

I only shot about a half dozen IDPA matches this year but I did use my Kahr PM9 and my Glock 38 or 39, all of which are my carry guns depending on weather or dress code, and the IWB holsters I carry them in. I even snuck into expert, barely, with the Kahr on the classifier.

Game Noun a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators

I'll give you that I keep playing "life" for my own amusement, but I still haven't found a copy of the rules that everyone can agree on :P

Hey...just like IPDA...and IPSC...and USPSA...heh heh...

Alex

I have two that I use for IDPA. One I don't carry simply because it has a competition tuned trigger and is to light for the street [ESP]. The 2nd I carry and compete with, they are both the same brand and have similar controls [sSP]. I love the game and believe it has value in "real life".