Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire "on The Move" At Home ....

Stefano

I am an enthusiast supporter of dry-fire practice and - of corse - of Steve Anderson's methods ...

In the last year I've done a lot a dry-fire practice at home, with very-good results.

Now my problem is: how to go on with all those "upper-level" exercises (like shoot on the move and transitions "entering & exiting " between positions) without having a large space ?

My home is quite small, and I have not garage and a bigger space outside where doing dry fire practice ... Thanks to all ! ;)

Edited by Stefano

Do you have a hallway and multiple rooms??? There ya go... ;) Set a stage up through the house (remember, no live fire, you can violate normal berm limitations w/ regard to the 180, if you need to...). Go from room to room, down the hall, etc...

I've done this a bunch - I've set up a bunch of big field courses, using furniture as hardcover, etc, etc... Good stuff....

Do you have a hallway and multiple rooms??? There ya go... ;) Set a stage up through the house (remember, no live fire, you can violate normal berm limitations w/ regard to the 180, if you need to...). Go from room to room, down the hall, etc...

I've done this a bunch - I've set up a bunch of big field courses, using furniture as hardcover, etc, etc... Good stuff....

Thanks, good idea !

Do you use original targets or reduced-scale ones ?

I only have full size targets, but I use plenty of no-shoots and hardcover targets, which force similar discipline on the sights.... If I had reduced scale (simply haven't made any, at this point...), I'd definitely use 'em, too. In my house, full size targets still give me that typical "up close run and gun" thing, so... they work out... but reduced scale would help simulate some distance, too...

+1 on using a Treadmill and reduced size targets (scale them down correctly).

By the way ..... what is a good manner to scale down a Target ?

Times ago I've found an appropriate utility for doing this on Matt Burkett's website, but it works only if you aim at the PC's monitor (and if I'm not wrong the reduced target on the monitor is not printable ...).

Just divide all the dimensions by the same factor - half, third, whatever...

Or you can just use some other thing - small paper plates or circles, squares, etc... You don't have to use IPSC-ish targets for this sort of work - the important thing is that you get a good sight picture on whatever you choose, etc...

I'd also like to suggest this:

Dryfire Kit

Well worth the little cash outlay, and helpful too!!

-Mike

Very nice !

It would be great if I could find also a little swinger for dry-fire practice at home.

Shooting swingers is one of my most weaknesses because I can't practice enought shooting them at the range (it's very difficult to find near my home a shooting range with bobbing targets ... :unsure::unsure: ).

I'd also like to suggest this:

Dryfire Kit

Well worth the little cash outlay, and helpful too!!

-Mike

+100 on the dryfire kit! I pasted business cards on the A's to shrink them down a bit more, and have them set at 15 feet for my dryfire drills. Come game day, I see a full sized target at 35 feet and laugh :D

Anderson has some good dryfire drills for on the move stuff, and I believe is including more in his next book...which should be shipping any day now.

I made 1/2 size and 1/3 size targets from old targets pulled from the trash at a club match. Was able to recover a half dozen no-shoot targets with a few edge hits. Cut them down and they work great. To concentrate on the A zone, I marked the border with a yellow highlighter. Also used some of the scraps to make a couple mini-poppers.

For practice on the move, I set up targets in the bedrooms and go back and forth up the hallway. Some are propped on furniture. Others are taped (with the spouse's consent) to the walls.

The idea of a mover is interesting. Something to think about.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Karl Rehn has dry fire/airsoft targets in PDF format. You print them out on 8.5x11 paper and at 5 yards they simulate 15, 25 and 50 yards.

Go to www.krtraining.com then click on "Competition Shooting" they are at the bottom of the page.