Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$100 - December

benos

One can probably assume from the dearth of accurate responses that the majority of this forum's members either spend much more time shooting than reading or that their chosen reading materials are of a kind other than those indicated in your original post.

Either that, or you have grossly over-estimated our combined IQ. :wacko:

I would suspect that your $100 will reside safely in your wallet for the forseeable future. :P

Hi all,

That first quote is not in Practical Shooting.

I have skimmed the book for the others.

If they are in it I missed them, as I was re-reading

I come see why the other quotes are here,

Brian makes a lot of statements that are similar.

I thought maybe since recently read Engineer to Win

that Carrol Smith said the first quote, I was not able to find it....

I can't find my copy of John Muir's volkswagen repair guide for the likes of me.

I think it may still be boxed up with the zen-o-motorbike-fixin...

I will try to find the box.

I once met a man who told me

all you need is all you know.

sigh

I have wondered what I know...

For, over my years I have discovered that

books remember things far better than me.

v miranda

It's fun to see that a few are actually working for it. :D You never what you might find...

Okay then - time for more hints...

All the quotes are from different sources...

#1 I'm hoping someone might guess this one, so no more hints for now.

#2 Wasn't a handgun shooter, but he was a shooter/coach.

#3 Was a pistol competitor - maybe the finest shot and fiercest competitor the world has ever seen.

#4 Was a clubswinger

#5 Start guessing after looking in your copy of Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

;)

I had a few minutes to kill and googled the book title.

since I don't own it I thought I'd see if that might point me to a book I do own.

I found out a few things.

one is that there are many failed Bruce Lee links....

the other is this quote attrubuted to Bruce Lee.

the second half is very useful to me today.

-The tools, your natural weapons, have a double purpose:

1.) To destroy the opponent in front of you - annihilation of things that stand in the way of peace, justice and humanity.

2.) To destroy your own impulses caused by the instincts of self-preservation. To destroy anything bothering your mind. Not to hurt anyone, but to overcome your own greed, anger and folly. Jeet Kune Do is directed toward oneself.

while I have not found any quotes,

I have found a very useful tool for a problem I am trying to resolve.

Thanks.

Here's another hint for #5 - the books been out of print for about 50 years! :lol:

But I just happen to have a copy. I think my copy was published in the 40's... it somehow never got returned to my high school library... (I graduated in '74)

;)

Brian, quote #1 is kinda wordy. It sounds almost McGivernesque. My copy of "Fast and Fancey" is out at my office right now. I check it later when I run out to work.

To save you the trouble of actually trying to find the quote - you are correct! We have one right! And we still have one more day...

;)

Brian, quote #1 is kinda wordy. It sounds almost McGivernesque. My copy of "Fast and Fancey" is out at my office right now. I check it later when I run out to work.

To save you the trouble of actually trying to find the quote - you are correct! (p. 177)

We have one right! And we still have one more day...

;)

Call me the next time you need something Sam, and the first $100 is on me.

;)

I was thinking I'd post the unanswered quotes for another month (or more's) trivia, but since no many seem too excited to guess, I guess I'll just let it die...

:(

Hi all,

I liked this contest.

it was the first one where I felt I had a chance.

all the others had someone post ant answer I knew before I had the

chance to post.

Given the wide range of the readers here

I can't think of anything that I would have a better chance.

perhaps the other un attributed quotes can

be a standing challenge?

something like go 2 more and each for 50 dollars.

any of the four, once 2 more are done give us the rest.

I should mention I haven't a prayer for getting that challenge either...

in any case,

I am looking forward to this month's challenge.

v miranda

Brian, that's very generous of you! (Actually, 1 out of 5 should max-out no more than 20 bucks, so it's incredibly generous of you.) Thank you very much!

I'm going to keep searching for the other four quotes, simply because I know I will run across some very cool and beneficial writings along the way. The McGivern quote was easy for me, it's my second favorite book on pistol shooting. ;)

Miranda, keep looking, whatever you discover will be worth the effort.

Brian, that's very generous of you! (Actually, 1 out of 5 should max-out no more than 20 bucks, so it's incredibly generous of you.) Thank you very much!

You're very welcome. And it _was_ the holiday season...

;)

I'm going to keep searching for the other four quotes, simply because I know I will run across some very cool and beneficial writings along the way.

That's what I was hopping for.... For the same reason I enjoyed finding them.

be

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Let me see if I can stir the pot......

#2 is from the team challenge days.... the guy who coached you while you were shooting for S & W.

# 4. You have spoken many times about an old golf coach. It is a very old book.....and you said nobody would ever have a book of him "just laying around". This will be difficult indeed. He is long before Nicholas...... one if the pioneers of golf....

#3. A fierce competitor and great shot....hummm...Rob is definately a fierce competitor.....Doug....an exceptional shot..... but i have to go with Tubbs....

well...am i on the right track?

• 2 weeks later...
Let me see if I can stir the pot......

#2 is from the team challenge days.... the guy who coached you while you were shooting for S & W.

# 4. You have spoken many times about an old golf coach. It is a very old book.....and you said nobody would ever have a book of him "just laying around". This will be difficult indeed. He is long before Nicholas...... one if the pioneers of golf....

#3. A fierce competitor and great shot....hummm...Rob is definately a fierce competitor.....Doug....an exceptional shot..... but i have to go with Tubbs....

well...am i on the right track?

#2. Nope, it's not Steve Middleditch. No one's going to get that one. It is Bill Pullum from "Successful Shooting." Position Rifle Shooting that is.

#4. You're right on that one. His book's been out of print for a long time, but Amazon has 8 used copies.

#3. Don't think modern or even IPSC, but pistol shooting however.

And no one will get #5: "It is easy to prepare the body for a contest; it is difficult to prepare the mind." That's Edwin Haislet, in "Boxing."

That book may be out of print for as long as I am old. I think it was out of print when I happened to forget to return my copy to my high school library. Actually, I think that's why I forgot to return it. (I couldn't buy one.) And this is the part I've been waiting to tell... Many years later, reading Bruce Lee's Tao Jeet Kune Do, many of quotes sounded really familiar. So I checked the references and there was Edwin's book Boxing! That was cool. I had no idea, when teaching myself to box in high school so I could beat up my brothers and friends, that I was studying from a book even Bruce Lee thought was top notch.

be

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
We've still got two weeks... So I picked 5 quotes from books from my library - whoever gets the most correct before the end of the year wins their choice of anything from my Store's Combo Deal page.

Please: Don't use the internet to find the answers. Although the quotes are fairly obscure - you guys are pretty resourceful.

It'll be fun to see if any of the quotes "sound familiar" to anyone. If so, the guesses should be fun for all.

:D

Good luck!

This constant urge for speed, through which the human race has ever sought for faster and better ways of doing things, has, no doubt, been responsible for man's gradual, but none the less steady, progress and improvement.

Chuck Yeager

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You should bear in mind that your own eyes are unique and differ from other peoples eys as much as your face differs from their faces.

Don't have even a good guess... Sigmond Freud

If you can accept that the fact that pressure is normal, and that it can be controlled, then the problem is not such a great one to solve.

Lanny Bassham

Too much thought about the mechanics is a bad thing for anyone's game.

Jack Nicklaus

It is easy to prepare the body for a contest; it is difficult to prepare the mind.

Sun Tzu

I should win something for guessing what the first wrong answer for #5 will be!

:D