Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cooley Comp On My Dpms

Truegent2004

I want to get a Cooley comp for my DPMS AR-15. I noticed some shooters don't have them straight up and down but twisted (Canted) a little to the left or right. Does it make a difference? How should this lefty have his set up?

Mines straight up and I'm a lefty.

Some folk like to "Clock" the brake on the basis of the recoil is up and out towards the strong side for ergonomic grip reasons. The "Clocking" is supposed to help with this, I don't go for it myself and feel a muzzle brake, or comp should always be neutral, or vertical as the case may be.

I'm a retar...I mean left handed and keep my Cooley at the 12 o'clock position. I have tested different comp positions and did not find any difference. JP makes a Cooley with a hole in the side, RH/LH, but did not notice any change.

The idea is that we all swing and twist in response to the recoil. So if you trace the movement to your muzzle. It will travel upward and toward your strong side. So one idea says to put your comp on to react to rise and twist.

I don't go along with that. I think our rise and twist motion is a slow reaction to the recoil. If comp is doing it job it removes the recoil before you can react to it. Therefore put them on centered.

I had them put a hole on the right side of the comp to push the gun into my left support hand. I wouldn't know the diff because I have only ever had this comp. So for a lefty you may want to drill the hole on the left to push toward your support hand....but I have nothing to compare to. This way you can try it straight and then drill if you wish.