Dirtypool40

dirtypool40

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got out Friday for a light practice. PaulW freshened up my trigger, and it's perfect.

I also shot a little with an M&P he did the trigger on, and woof, it's like a 2# sweeper.

We all shot production in our local match / special classifier and Jeff "Tito" Degracia mopped the floor with us. :bow: I kept slowing down, slower and slower. The last two stages were field courses, and even though I went at a pace slower than the "C" limited shooters I was still dropping rounds into the hard cover and no-shoots and taking three shots to drop a full size popper at 15y.

Jeez, what gives? I wasn't even high lady at this one.

PaulW and I shared his gun all day, it ran fine, did I devolve in one week from winning over the open guys to shooting "D" class scores?

On the way home Paul called, chuckling. "How bad did you shoot those last two?"

"Pretty bad, <_< how about you?"

So he busts up laughing.... "The rear site is loose, it's all over the place!!!" :lol:

:mellow: Grrrrrrrrrreat.

Ok, so he saved me from slitting my wrists. :cheers:

I got out Sunday for about 150 rounds, nothing major and kinda choppy, but still good to get back to work. I'm hoping to get out a couple times this week and then shoot two matched next weekend, Malabar and Frostproof.

Then it's a couple days practice and off to Area 5!!!

Edited by dirtypool40

Light horsing around yesterday, no serious work.

I did have a 2.60 on a plate rack @ 10y and a 3.09 @ 10y alternating. <new goal; 2.99 or better alternating>

Back to slow, deliberate work tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by dirtypool40

Long, slow practice yesterday. Lots of down time while they moved and fixed the plate rack and not a lot of work, but I did get to shoot 3-400 rounds and a couple runs on the crazy plates.

Now to add to the pressure, I only give myself a couple of runs; one cold out of the car, then I practice on paper and then one run warmed up just before I shut'er down.

Cold netted me a 4, warm a sloppy 2. <_< I dropped a plate going in @ 20y, and another coming out at 20y. I'm always grudgingly satisfied if I go clean @ 25, that means the mechanics are there, and when I miss closer it's focus. It's odd, I've gotten better at the plates in general, so now I pull the trigger when the sights are not perfectly centered :rolleyes: . Most of the time I still get the hit, but I need to get back to the mentality of shooting a tiny little group on the plate instead of just a hit anywhere.

I want to clean these before I head to Area 5. I still have that goal of "clean, cold", but I will need to settle down and focus to get there.

Horsing around, non-par times, I did have a 3.05 @ 10y alternating, and several runs in the 2.70 range with one miss. A sub 3.0 is possible and coming. I think this is tougher than an all out L to R run, and really works the snappy eyes.

On paper I worked my partials, 15, 20 and 25y. They are tough, and humbling but I am getting some par times. Seems like a shoot the 3, six shot strings @ 10y in about 10 sec total, 11 would be a fair par time, and things slow down pretty evenly to about 15 seconds total for 25y. This is one of those drills I am going to test the 6" on if / when I get it.

Random thought / note to self: Why do I shoot the center target (up down partial 1/2 A-zone) so cleanly, and with the same splits, and have such trouble on the "full-A" left right partials? Hmmm, something to work on for sure.

Lackluster local today.

I had a 9 second jam on a 10 second stage and lost HOA for the match right there. It's actually the first non-ammo related malf from this pistol. Normally I grab the round that wouldn't feed and can tell in an instant what happened; crushed case, inverted primer the usuals. This was just a skrate up failure to extract.

Anyhoo, udder-n-at I put up a solid 9.69hf on 99-42 "Fast and Furious" which Ohio says comes in over 100%.

Monday 8/13. Choppy workout today, couldn't seem to "pull focus" and maintain it. I worked on the plates as the thunder boomers rolled in. I'd go clean at 25, then miss at 10 or 15. Just off and on all day. Work BS puslling my head out of it.

Still it's like any other skill and it needs to be worked on to improve. Time to settle down, and get some relaxed, quality work in.

Edited by dirtypool40

Good work on my partial paper array Tuesday 8/14. Just for record keeping I had a clean, solid run @ 25y at around 15 seconds total, down ten including a lone Delta, and six alphas on the center, 1/2 A up down partial.

My next 25y run totalled about 13.5 which is fast for me on this drill, but I dumped a mike.

I know I need to post the array so everyone can play.

Right now times are hovering around 12 seconds total @ 15y, and pretty linear back to 15 ish for the 25y run. That's three runs of six rounds each, so averaging just sub 5.0.

8/15 good if light practice with Joel "Killer B" Sanabria.

4 on plates Bianchi style, then 4 on "crazy plates" then decent work on paper partials.

Gun is running fine now that I cleaned it and replaced the AFTEC springs. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, off to Area 5. Goin' for two in a row, high lady!!!

Home from Area 5, just a quick entry, more detailed stage breakdown later.

Long story short, 3rd Lim at a shade over 90%. Crazy slip, slidy conditions, bagged targets, rain all day. We had a BLAST!!! I kinda faded on the last three or four, but I am getting better, and it was a learning experience shooting with Manny and Ted-Zilla.

Both of those guys are great to shoot with :) I've had the pleasure of shooting w/ Ted at last year's Nationals, and Manny at the past two Double Tap matches.

90% of Manny is totally not a bad place to be - sounds like you have some ideas on improvements already, so... Next time, maybe it'll be the other way around ;)

See you at the range on Saturday, Eric. I'll bring the Mystic Mountain Blue and Fig Newtons. :D

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

A little blow by blow on Area 5 before I forget the details...

Started in light drizzle, first shooter on Stage 10. Starting has not been my strong suit the past couple of years. This time I shot decent points and felt like I moved well enough, but laziness on steel kept me 2+ seconds back from a good run. All told not horrible, but not quite "there" either. I'd show discipline on the paper (94% of points) and the sights would just fade from view on the big poppers.

Onto stage #1, and now it's raining. Bags on targets, raincoat on until LAMR. Quicky little 10 round stand and shoot on partials around the barricade. I missed my draw and slowed down to try and hang onto the points. All told, a long half second or so back and loose points.

Stage #2, now we're in the sloppy mud and driving rain. This was a riot, seeing Manny and Ted slosh through this thing 100mph, there was a "spalsh zone" two yards back from teh rear fault line. Dropped mags were not to be trusted, and this was the stage that ruined socks and cleats. I had a decent, conservative run, but then that was the plan, no pushing or swinging for the fence, just stay in control and put up solid runs calling the shots. I was about a second off Ted who put up a really smoking run with a lot of points. At this point in the match he had the lead over Manny by about seven points.

Stage #3 "Memories" I was a little afraid of, memory tests not being my strong suit, but once we got there, it only required a fairly simple plan shooting three targets from three positions. Manny RIPPED this thing down to re-take the lead, with Ted and I nearly tied for 2/3, about a second and a half back. A decent conservative run, just like I wanted.

Stage #4 I had a pretty solid run, again, very controlled but two sloppy D's on the same target cost me a 90%+ stage finish.

Stage #5 was my first stage win at an Area match. Manny had a decent run, but got out of time on the swinger we shot moving up, and jumped back and forth, one, one, and so on. He also dropped a couple D's but was so fast he still nearly won it. Ted dropped a very uncharacteristic Mike, and my decent, solid run was enough for a narrow stage win.

Stage #6. I'm not sure what happened. Manny had a rough jumpy run, with an extra reload and changing his plan. Ted Dropped two more mikes and they left the door open for me. I got cautious. These targets were covered by no shoots but instead of aiming just inside the A-zone, I wussed out and aimed for the C/D line, and took my damned time about. The wind up was a lazy run four seconds off the pace and down way too many points. I let another chance at a stage win and the momentum get away from me.

Stage #7. "Where's the ammo?" I made a decent load, but three extra shots on steel left me over a second back on a very short, quick course.

Stage #8. I was first again and got talked into the dumb run I didn't want. I wanted to go conservative, shoot two from the left, four from the right and trap the swinger. Instead I shot all six right to left, missed two, the swinger grabbed my attention and I just tossed two rounds in the general direction. Result, my first mike and the one really bad stage of the match. Ted had an almost identical run, but snagged an edger Delta to hang onto third place for the stage.

Stage #9. I had what I thought was a solid run here, but when they scored the first targte, a diagonal partial, there was only an Alpha and..... nothing. The guys said they thought I yanked the gun over the next target, so I guess I rushed the transition. Really honks me off, and I went from thinking I made a nice, solid stage finish between Ted and Manny, and instead I end with a crash and a Mike.

Overall, I learned a lot, had a blast and can't wait for the next one.

Eric, was nice to squad with you at the match. You shot well and consistently all day, considering the conditions and the competition I think you did one hell of a job. A couple of the guys a place or three down from you in the finals could have made things a lot harder, but consistency won the day for you in MISERABLE conditions. I don't think there is a way to convey the conditions to someone that wasn't there.

Comments from the bleachers/also-ran/peanut gallery?

Dude, just keep poking points at your speed in the matches and it will work out, Ted and Manny are both points mongers, neither one will give a single point. They win just about everything they enter. Neither one shot a split under a .25 for sure and probably not under a .28 during the entire match, even I can shoot a pile of A's at that speed. Work your speed up on everything but the shooting in practice, know you can perform and go do it. If I remember right you took a class with Manny, if so he showed you HOW, WHY and WHERE. Possibly the most impressive thing about Manny is he will tell you, then show you, and then coach you on exactly what he is going to do. He doesn't hold a single detail back. He wants to win by executing. Given that, you know all the technical detail of what you need to do. There isn't any reason why you can't really challenge, you can call shots and are physically capable of the rest at equal speed or better than the rest. After watching you shoot this match I would guess that the biggest part of the next step is 'tween your ears'. You can do everything as well as anyone else, just bring it when you need it. Seriously, you are a really good shooter. Minute details are all the keep you from being a SERIOUS contender for the titles. My comment to someone when the match was over was 'the GM card isn't wasted on him, he can SHOOT'. Enough rambling. Congrats on a great finish against two of the top shooters the sport has to offer in MISERABLE conditions.

HSMITH....great breakdown. Great job DP. I really liked it when HSMITH said "tween your ears" because I think once we reach a certain point that becomes more of an issue than actually shooting. I know I have done it and still do it. Letting all those little distraction sink. I've been telling Eric he "Has It" for years now. It a journey that does not always go the way we want it or planned it, but thats half the battle right there.

Eric, was nice to squad with you at the match. You shot well and consistently all day, considering the conditions and the competition I think you did one hell of a job. A couple of the guys a place or three down from you in the finals could have made things a lot harder, but consistency won the day for you in MISERABLE conditions. I don't think there is a way to convey the conditions to someone that wasn't there.

Thanks Howard, it was tough but even conditions for us on Saturday. My goal was to put up a solid match, through consistency like you said, and so the little speed bumps are frustrating. I figured someone on dry-er Sunday or Dry and quick Friday might have put up better numbers, but I hung onto 3rd by the skin of my teeth. I bet Manny's times on the field courses would've been roughly 20% faster in dry conditions, and without bags.

Dude, just keep poking points at your speed in the matches and it will work out, Ted and Manny are both points mongers, neither one will give a single point. They win just about everything they enter. Neither one shot a split under a .25 for sure and probably not under a .28 during the entire match, even I can shoot a pile of A's at that speed.

Man you said a mouthful there. TJ does the same thing, slow splits, quick transitions, lots of points and catlike movement. I was really impressed with Ted and Manny. They are sooo explosive but the gun settles like it's on a gyro for that .25 needed for "snake eyes". Manny would look like he was shot out of a cannon, rip through a stage and then on ULSC he could tell you he was down three friggin' charlies.

...you know all the technical detail of what you need to do. There isn't any reason why you can't really challenge, you can call shots and are physically capable of the rest at equal speed or better than the rest. After watching you shoot this match I would guess that the biggest part of the next step is 'tween your ears'. You can do everything as well as anyone else, just bring it when you need it. Seriously, you are a really good shooter. Minute details are all the keep you from being a SERIOUS contender for the titles. My comment to someone when the match was over was 'the GM card isn't wasted on him, he can SHOOT'. Enough rambling. Congrats on a great finish against two of the top shooters the sport has to offer in MISERABLE conditions.

Thanks bud, great shooting with you. :cheers: I learned a lot, and have plenty to work on. I wish there were 15 more big matches I could make it to this year. That's what I need. Poco a Poco.

Rough practice today, need to buckle down, settle down and tighten up.

Plates felt rushed all day, times were good, focus was abysmal. I'd go clean at 25 and 20 and quick, only to drop 3 @ 15 for pulling the trigger when I KNEW the sights were not on the plate. :rolleyes:

Paper was not much better, but I look forward to tomorrow.

I did have a 10y run @ 2.84 alternating, but with a crossbar split (MISS!!!), but I am really close to that 2.99 alternating. It's gonna happen tomorrow.

Light practice with another shooter yesterday, nothing earth shattering, just more work on crazy plates and partials. Not a great day, but I am putting the time in.

I'm taking it light this week, two little practices, and one very simple match this weekend. I'm back at it hard next week, still hoping to make the nats.

You're sure not wasting any time digging up new misery, are you??? :surprise::lol: :lol:

Hey!! I resemble that!!! :blush:

Can't it ruin me, gotta get back up, and..... ooh!!! She's hot, what's her name? :goof:

Nah, new GF is cool. No pressure, but things are nice right now. :)

Decent match at CFRPC this past weekend. I was clean but way too loose on points to be in the hunt for overall. Dumd, mindless stages as always, but it was a nice day out with the boys, and I won Limited by 20%. 89% run on "Can you count?" with 2 x .97 loads.

Edited by dirtypool40