Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling All The Owners Of Schuemann Aef-coated Barrels

Canuck63

Hi all,

last week I was about to purchase a SVI gun fitted with an Schuemann AEF-coated barrel when I noticed something inside the barrel which,much to the dealer's (who incidentally is the Italian Importer and who is friends with Mr. Strayer) chagrin,made me pass on it.

This thing was a "crown" that affected the lands and the grooves and that was deep and wide enough to be seen with bare eyes without the aid of a strong light.

Since the Italian Proof House at Brescia is manned by morons who damage a good 25% of the weapons tested there before they could be sold in Italy,first thing that has occured to me was a bullet stuck there during the proof,and certainly not a tool mark that wouldn't have made the parrel pass the scrutiny at SVI.The Italian importer tried long and hard to "clean" the barrel by scrubbing the bore with a stell brush from both ends and then gave up...less than happy to see a would-be customer going against the old saying that goes"There's nothing more simple than parting a fool from his money".....in spite of his tries to convince me that the sign wasn't important and that if I was too concerned by thyat issue then "I wasn't a real shooter" :blink::lol: !

Back to the serious world now....yesterday I have written SVI an email and a few hours later I got a reply from Mr. Strayer himself;here's the text:

<<<<Mr.*****,

I received you email and appreciate the detail that you provided.

****** and myself appreciate your business.

It is unfortunate that you are not the proud owner of yet another SV.

The shadow that you noticed was not an imperfection or damage

caused by the proof house. The barrel is capable of the extreme accuracy

witnessed by the test target included with the pistol. The coating of the

barrel is a multi layer, very high temperature gaseous process. The gases

flow into the bore from both ends of the barrel. The reflection that

you witnessed occurs where the gases meet and is angstroms in

thickness. Without going into more technical details be assured that

the pistol will only shoot better with use.I have

personally seen over 100,000 rounds through a coated AET barrel

with no wear to even the first layer of the coating.

Warmest Regards,

Sandy Strayer>>>>>

Unfortunately Mr. Strayer hasn't seen the barrel in the flesh and the importer's not that keen on having a gun unsold because of a bunch of morons playing with rests and hi-pressure rounds,and I'm confident that the latter has told Mr. Strayer that that groove was invisible :rolleyes: !

Has anybody who owns a gun fitted with a Schuemann AEF-coated barrel noticed that?

Aren't gases supposed to flow into each other rather than collinding head on generating a "burst" which etches the metal?

A barrel thus treated shouldn't have that sign outside as well,other than inside?

Thank you for reading and(hopefully) replying!

Cheers

Manu

some pictures of the barrel in question would be nice. i'm sure someone can post pics of a good barrel. i'd like to see what the difference is between a good barrel and the one you thought of buying.

Hi Yoshida,

thanks a lot for your reply :) !I know that a picture would speak better than a million words but I cannot post any :( ,that's why I'm asking the other members who own AEF-coated barrel if they've noticed these signs inside their bore!

Cheers

Manu

For many years platers have struggled with getting the inside of "tubes" to be coated beyond twice the diameter of the hole. The majority of the conventional methods cannot internally coat beyond this depth. SV/Schuemann have developed a method to line the inside of the barrels from end to end. Since the coating is extremely thin (considerably less than .001" I believe), I do not think that minor thickness variation of the coating would be a significant problem.

While I have not seen the "imperfection" that you are speaking of, I can imagine how there could be differences in the texture and appearance, at varying depths, resulting from the application method. I personally have several of the coated barrels and can attest to their accuracy and longevity.

Leo

Edited by L9X25

I have a Schuemann AET Ultimatch coated barrel.

Without seeing it I can't be sure if were talking about the same thing, but my barrel has a discolored area about halfway down the bore.

When I first saw it I did have some concern about it.

It could easily be interpreted as a defect but I don't believe that is the case.

If it is a defect it certainly hasn't affected the gun's performance.

The barrel has been extremely accurate and has held up very well after more than 10000 rounds.

I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the gun.

If it does prove to be some sort of defect or damage, I'm sure Strayer will make it right.

Tony

A pair of calipers along the OD of the barrel would tell all. There's no way you can bulge a barrel without it showing up as a deviation in the OD.

Eric is correct. Nitriding is commonly used to harden extrusion dies for better dimensional control and longer life. The nitrided layer is very thin and variations can not be seen with the naked eye. My guess is they shot a round on top of a lodged bullet.

I have a Scheumann barrel in my Bianchi Cup Open gun and it is extremely accurate.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Unfortunately Mr. Strayer hasn't seen the barrel in the flesh and the importer's not that keen on having a gun unsold because of a bunch of morons playing with rests and hi-pressure rounds,and I'm confident that the latter has told Mr. Strayer that that groove was invisible :rolleyes: !

I recently took delivery of two new SVI's with 40 S&W AET barrels. Both exhibit the ring of which you speak about 1.7" from the muzzle. I spoke to Sandy Strayer about this, and he described the exact visual effect I was seeing (identical on both barrels by the way, including the location within the barrel). Since there is absolutely no trace of barrel bulge, the rings are in the exact same location on two new barrels, and his description of what I was seeing was totally accurace, I believe his explanation to be accurate.

The gold colored coating is actually a multi-layer chemical vapor deposition coating applied in a vacuum chamber, and the cloud of vapor meets in the middle.

In order for a double shot or proof load to ring the chamber mid-way down, you would need an obstruction. I find it inconceivable that an obstruction would result in this sort of internal marking, but absolutely no barrel bulging.... and that's before factoring in that I've seen this on multiple new AET barrelt.

You also should know that I consult for SVI, so you're welcome to factor that into your evaluation of my comments.

I recently took delivery of two new SVI's with 40 S&W AET barrels. Both exhibit the ring of which you speak about 1.7" from the muzzle. I spoke to Sandy Strayer about this, and he described the exact visual effect I was seeing (identical on both barrels by the way, including the location within the barrel). Since there is absolutely no trace of barrel bulge, the rings are in the exact same location on two new barrels, and his description of what I was seeing was totally accurace, I believe his explanation to be accurate.

The gold colored coating is actually a multi-layer chemical vapor deposition coating applied in a vacuum chamber, and the cloud of vapor meets in the middle.

In order for a double shot or proof load to ring the chamber mid-way down, you would need an obstruction. I find it inconceivable that an obstruction would result in this sort of internal marking, but absolutely no barrel bulging.... and that's before factoring in that I've seen this on multiple new AET barrelt.

You also should know that I consult for SVI, so you're welcome to factor that into your evaluation of my comments.

Hi Rob,

thank you very much for your kind reply;it definitely makes a lot of sense and the fact that you barels do have the same "rings" within their bores is very assuring...you'll never stop learning ;) !

Cheers

Manu