Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First open gun

Ron Ankeny

OK, I have this irrational desire to buy an open gun.  The problem is, I don't know jack about them.

Any suggestions for where to start, what gusmiths, comps, powder, etc.  I am an A class limited shooter, and would start with an STI frame, C More scope.

Oh yeah, I can't really ask any of my homies about their guns, 'cus this is a secret project to be unveiled at the first matches in spring!

I sense a disturbance in the Force. Another Limited Jedi is tempted by the dark side.

If you can deal with all the ports and don't mind subjecting ROs to the blast, I'd look into a top end like the SV IMM (Pat's gun). That thing handles suh-weet. My big, five-chamber compensator shoots great but handles poorly. Comp guns don't handle like Limited guns.

Finding a gunsmith might be the most important thing. Somebody who has a reputation for building reliable Open guns and who can make quick repairs and modifications for you.

(Edited by Erik Warren at 6:13 pm on Oct. 29, 2001)

Told you it was irrational...

I was thinking about a Dawson - quick turnaround, but $3,500 bones.

EGW is cheaper (boy is this relative), but an ungodly wait time.

Benny Hill is reasonable in both areas.  Plus he has a great TV show.  Especially the old bald guy...

Anyway, are these open contraptions really that difficult to build?  Seems like everyone makes their own comps - are there any real differences, or is it just load dependant?

What about caliber?  38 TJ, 38 super?

Slide weight?

Standard frame?

Man does my head hurt...

Erik, the open guns they're shooting over here at the moment  handle better than limited guns!

I shot a freinds (is that the right term, he only shoots open?:) ) it weighed 35oz with a Doctor Optic slide mounted and was really impressed with the handling.

P.D.

I built my open gun because I'm cheap and can't help but tinker with things.  I used a Para frame I had, got a Caspian slide, Clark threaded barrel, Dawson comp and a C-more.  I had to have the barrel professional shortened but all of the other fitting I did myself (with help from Layne Simpson articles).  I bought tools from Brownells figuring I could use them again, and I have numerous times.  I shot it for a year "as is" but recently had a local gunsmith lighten the slide and comp and evenup the profile of the two.  The gun runs great now and shoots flat enough for B speed.

I'm into my gun for about $1250 in parts including the frame.  I can't even begin to tell you how much time I spent fitting then sorting the thing out.  I did enjoy the challenge though, for me that was part of the fun.

As far as brass goes I've used them all and for me TJ brass seems to be the best as it come out of my Para mags the smoothest.   I've seen lots of guns run flawlessly with regular Super brass so who knows?  Hope this helps..

I used to shoot a hybrid, not anymore though....the blast shook my fillings out.the regular bull barrel without hybrid ports  does not shoot as flat but only maybe 10%. It's probably more important that the gun tracks consistently...when i switched i felt the difference but only for the first 25 rounds. Some kind of rimless brass is probably the way to go , i'm trying the TJ right now.With  38 super sometimes my mag turns into a baby rattle.   Oh by the way Johnny Lim does an outstanding Job

EGW has a waiting list but it is worth it. George will build you exactly what you want. I was going to buy an SV but I sent them an email 2 1/2 weeks ago with some questions. I'm still waiting for a reply. I said screw it I'll have George build the new blaster. If something goes wrong with it I can drive it down and get it fixed in a day or 2 not 3 weeks + just for a reply.

Chris: E.mail me, I can put you in contact with a SVI distributor and he always answers right away. You should have let me know that you hadn't got an answer, what did you need to know?

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 3:42 pm on Oct. 31, 2001)

Pat,

With the possibility of 9mm being major legal next year I was looking into the options for the IMM in 9mm. I was looking at 1-2 hybrid ports instead of the 3. I have a guy here that can get it for me at a good price. My problem is if they won't answer Email what happens if it breaks? George is right down the road from work and was great when the barrel lug broke on my current gun. It was in and out in 4 days and that was with getting the new barrel shipped in. I'm going to go with EGW and build one up with the tribrid. Unless something comes along better in the next couple months. I'm on the list and the gun will be ready by spring.

• 6 months later...

I broke down and bought an open pistol. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. My shooting buddies are already harassing me without mercy and I don't even have the pistol yet. Is having a thick skin a prerequisite to shooting open?

My shooting buddies are already harassing me without mercy...

That is sounds like defensive attitude...born out of fear.  ;)

WY:

Class  Open  Limited  Lim10  Prod  Revolver

GM      0        1            0         0        0

M        2        1            0         0        0

A         3       7             0         0        0

B         5       15          3          1        0

C       10       24          6          0        1

D         1       16          7          0        2

Is having a thick skin a prerequisite to shooting open?

Nope, they're just trying to quench their envy.

For fun & paybacks though, set some stages with 6" plates at 15 yards and lots of long, tight shots and enjoy it when they whine.

Way to go, Ron.  You will never look back.  The way I see it, why race a stock car when you race top fuel??  

Personally, I find limited guns incredibly boring and very lacking in adrenaline.  (sorry you limited guys... this is the open gun forum).

Remember the old saying:

"Friends don't let friends shoot limited"

at least, I'm trying to make that into an old saying.

Most people that are giving you grief about it have never shot an open gun.  Once they do, the only comment I've EVER heard is "I want one."

take care,

Bret

Most of the comments are about getting old, going blind, and being a sissy, lol. It is all good natured fun. There are a few open guns showing up around the state and I know I will enjoy the pistol.

Flexmoney:

No A class Limited 10 shooters in Wyoming? Well now, our special classifier is this weekend. I'll blow the dust off of the old single stack and be the first ... Oh heck, might as well go for Master.

Don't mind the hecklers. Shot 1st match w/ open gun last weekend and on 12 plates in the middle of a course, that gun hammered through faster than I imagined possible - it was the gun, not me. Welcome to the lunatic fringe.  D.

DBChaffin:

I don't have any experience with open guns so I really don't know what to say. The pistol is a duplicate of the open blaster that Max Michel, Jr. is using this season. Benny Hill bult both guns and the one I bought is the one Benny made for himself.

I got it yesterday and upon inspection I was intrigued, delighted, and disappointed by several features. First off, the scope mount is Benny's own invention and he made it himself. The lines and finish on the mount could be better. I also noticed some chatter marks from an end mill on the front of the slide and there are some file marks from draw filing the slide to blend it with the compensator. Surface preparation prior to hard chrome could have been better. I would have thought the guys at Tripp Industries would have cleaned it up a bit.

The slide has been lightened substantially and it is short. The entire pistol, comp and all, is about the same length as my six inch limited pistol. There are three big ports on the top of the comp and one on each side. I don't know who made the comp. Benny added two small holes on the top of the slide and there is an additional hole down through the comp and barrel just before the first large port in the comp.

The sight is a C-More with 8 minute dot and the barrel is a Bar-Sto in .38 Super. The extractor is an Aftec. The recoil spring is an 11 lb. ISMI spring. The slide to frame fit is fantastic and the trigger is to die for at a clean 1.5 lbs. The safety is absolutey superb. The hammer is the darndest thing I ever saw. It looks like a skeletonized (light weight) hammer that has been reshaped to look like the old style government hammer. Looks odd to say the least. It's obvious that Benny was more concerned with total functionality than cosmetics when he built this gun.

When I got home it was cold, windy (like 40 mph) but I just had to shoot it. I had loaded up Benny's load, a 115 Zero HP bullet, 11.8 grains of (AA-7) to the length and crimp that he recommended. I think I'll switch to 3N-37 in case there is truth in the rumors that AA-7 is abrasive.

I shot the pistol side by side with my 165 PF loads out of my Limited gun. Oh my, am I in for a learning curve. This pistol shoots so incredibly flat that I can't believe it. The dot moves only a fraction of the distance that my front sight lifts on my limited gun. It lifts then returns slightly below the initial point of aim.  I'll need to learn how to tune it so it goes back to the point of aim. It cycles so fast that there is very little sensation that the action is working. The recoil is not at all sharp and there is no bone jarring blast. This gun is incredibly pleasant to shoot. I think I am going to like it.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 10:57 am on May 23, 2002)

Sounds like one of Benny's personal guns-- he builds them until they work, then goes out and shoots.  The stuff he makes for other people is nicer cosmetically, but both work fine.

shred:

Yeah, it's one of Benny's guns. He built it for the 3-gun nationals. He is shooting Limited until next fall, then he will make himself another open gun. I can tell that he put a lot of time into the fitting of the safety, trigger work, and so on. I can live with a few imperfections considering I paid less than I would have for an off the shelf STI Competitor.

Ron,

I'm behind on this forum, sorry so late.

I personally would not recommend 3N-37 in an open gun.  I've used in limited and it's fine.  But I have seen several people damage open guns using it.  Apparently it packs a good punch when combined with a smaller 38 Super bullet.

I really like VV powders.  I have used N105 with great success, and currently use 3N-38 and like it better, but hard to get.

I'm using 3n37 with a 124 gr JHP. Works like a charm. This gun has @ 20K rds through it, mostly 3N37, with a little 3N38. I actually prefer the 3N37 loads I've worke up so far, but my buddy shooting a SV IMM gun likes the 3N38. Its as accurate as the day it was built, little wear, no "damage".