Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deer Season '06

SmittyFL

85 yards with Super Redhawk. There are bigger deer in the woods but this is the biggest one I've killed. Plus it's much more about getting in the woods with no computers, cell phones, tv's, etc.....and maybe some wild turkey.

Edited by SmittyFL

Nice deer Shannon. I would take that any day. I am going back out in the morning with my S&W 629 to see what I can scare up. I got a little nubbie after turkey day, and we are in the CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) zone so we can shoot as many as we want. The 16" of snow we got today should make it interesting :wacko:

Tom

Nice lookin' buck. What'd he dress out at??

Thanks. I don't know, we cut him up in the barn.

Good luck Tom. It snowed about an inch opening day. Didn't stick much but living in FL now it's still cool to see snow from time to time....especially when hunting.

Edit to clairify; I was hunting in WV not FL. :) Hasn't snowed down here yet this year.

Edited by SmittyFL

That was my next question - where didja take that fellow! :)

And, I make 7 points, or is there an 8th hiding back there somewhere?

That's a really nice deer!

What kind of bullet did you take him with? Factory/handload? How was the penetration?

I'm jealous, haven't been able to deer hunt in quite some time.

That was my next question - where didja take that fellow! :)

And, I make 7 points, or is there an 8th hiding back there somewhere?

That's a really nice deer!

What kind of bullet did you take him with? Factory/handload? How was the penetration?

I'm jealous, haven't been able to deer hunt in quite some time.

I went back home where I grew up to hunt...in WV.

There are 8.

They are factory loads. I've thought about handloading, but I only shoot a few rounds per year to sight in and hunt so I don't think it's worth messing with.

I've used the cheapo Remington 240gr soft point in the past but last year I wasn't happy with the performance of them. Still took the deer down but not to my liking. So I switched to the Hornady 300gr JHP this year....Holy crap, what a difference. I couldn't believe how much better the Hornady was. I got 6 or 7 inches LESS drop at 100yds with a bullet that is 60gr's heavier!! I never chronoed them but the BC must be much better with the Hornady's.

The penetration was fine, no expansion, but I didn't hit anything hard. I hit him too far forward; caught both lungs just forward of the shoulders. The exit was the same size as the entrance. Jerked the trigger left.......imagine that, story of my life. :lol: But he only went about 25yds so it got the job done.

Thanks Z, I think I'm having tenderloins tonight.

Edited by SmittyFL

Nice buck!!!

I also shot my 8 point this year with the .44 Anaconda, red dot optics of course! About 80 yards.

I am shooting 180 factory loads, but I will definatly be moving to the 300 grain for next year also. 180's have zero blood trail.

Going to doe hunt late season with my open gun. :ph34r:

From the Forum Guidlines:

Pictures

Pictures are not different from posts. If it's even borderline offensive, or could be construed to be offensive, please do not post it or use it as an Avatar.

Please do not post pictures in your signature. (It's a bandwidth issue.)

Please do not post "dead-animal pictures."

--------------------------------------------------

Myself, I think that's a really nice buck, but Brian has mentioned a number of times here that he doesn't want certain types of images in his house and has also noted that the Forum is part of his house too. I ain't editing, or closing anything here, just pointing out something. I hope y'all understand.

Interestingly enough, Brian is on Safari in Africa himself right this very moment and is probably shooting at critter's too, but only with a camera ;-)

I went out several times with my Super Redhawk back when I still hunted, but always wound up using the rifle because I just wasn't comfortable with a shot farther than 40-50 yards with the Redhawk. Never could shoot that Redhawk like I wanted to :-(

Again, nice buck, and a nice shot, even if ya' think ya' pulled it :-)

Where I come from hunting or hunting pictures ain't (are not) borderline offensive.

However I obviously haven't brushed up on my forum guidelines recently....my bad. :(

Edited by SmittyFL

No Problemo. Just pointing out what Brian requested we abide by.

BTW, I am not closing anything, or asking you to edit anything. I do however have a pretty bad case of extreme buck envy going here and wish folks would not post images of such nice takes from a "jealousy" standpoint. The deer herd out here in California is in pretty bad shape. In most of the hunting zones nowadays a scrawny 3 pointer is considered a pretty prime buck :-/

The DF&G out here thinks "not" hunting Does, Bear and Cougar is helping the populations. Pfeh! We have been getting large numbers of road kill on cougar and bear in the north state for years now and anyone who knows anything, knows what that indicates :-(

Congrads on getting a buck

My wife and I just got back from 3 days hunting in the woods of Pa. and we never seen a deer of any kind. It was in a area that there has always been good, but this year nothing.

Gene

You all know what i find offensive.. that i'm not allowed to look smitty's deer! I'm from WV... maybe i'll just go shoot one to prove my point.. or two even..... how's that for anti- anti-hunter sentiment.

Smitty.. didn't know you were from WV what part (if you don't want to post PM me) would like to see the pic too! Just because someone didn't want me to!

Just repost the photo here in this thread Smitty. Then I will grab it and post it on my site for ya and then delete the image posted here. Then we can use that location as a link only here. Everyone gets the image and it isn't actually hung up for display in Brians house. It's win/win for everyone :-)

BTW, Smitty, I appreciate you pullling the image per Brians rules. If we post it as a link only, then we are cool.

Thanks George. Link it if you thinks it's alright. I'm not here to ruffle any feathers, actually that was the first time I had read the guidelines. Back in the day we only talked about shooting stuff so they were never needed I guess.....Ahh, the good 'ol days.

Smitty's Buck

Edited by George

Smitty,

Kinda what I had in my minds eye when we were talking on the phone.

Good buck for sure.

I almost got one yesterday evening with the dodge...........glad I know how to see them before they are in the middle of the road. <_<

Enjoy the venison, I sure do.

Hopalong