Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Florida State Championship

The 2007 Florida State Championship will be at the Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof. The match dates are March 31 - April 1 2007.

The entry form and additional information are available here:http://www.tbpc.org/FL07ENTRY.HTML

Trophies by Division, Class, & Category

Point Series Match

10 Stages - 270 Round

ALL Cash Paid back after expenses... Cash based on shooter enrollment.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Chris,

I will post more information as it becomes available. It will likely be the usual 2 day fromat and I am told that they will be using the "squad embeded RO" system that was used at the last Fl State match in Titusville, so I do not know if there will be shooting on Friday.

Contrary to what some have said, this will not be an encore of the Florida Open. While many of the permanent props will likely be utilized, the stages will be new and different from the Open. The stages have not all been finalized and construction cannot begin until after the Open is complete. Manny will certainly have some challenging stuff for us to shoot.

Leo

Chris,

To confirm my previous post, there is NO shooting on Friday. The range will be open for inspection of the stages but the RO's will be shooting on Saturday and Sunday with their squads.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If I cannot answer them directly, I will pass them along to someone who can answer them and post the answers back here.

Leo

:angry: Embeded RO's???? Not my favorite way of shooting a big match. For my money I would prefer to have an RO incharge of each stage. That way everyone gets the same great guy or jack@$$ depending on what stage he is incharge of. But that is only "MY" opinion!!! :D

I agree with you about it not being the optimal way to ensure parity but the cost of having dedicated RO's is becoming cost prohibitive on inexpensive matches. This seems to be the way of the future.

I raised my concerns about this exact situation when it was proposed for the last big match in Titusville. Fortunately, the RO's were chosen carefully and the concerns did not materialize. There was one incident where a squad shot a stage in a manner that was later determined to be inconsistent with how others were allowed and it caused a re-shoot of that stage by all the squad. I would not consider this a major flaw as it was easily corrected. I believe that the RO's for this match are also being chosen carefully to keep everything fair.

Now that I hear that Eric is an "Embeded" RO, I am starting to worry about how carefully they are screening the RO's .... :P

Uggggggh! :( I guess I can see the financial reason for doing that, but it dosent sit well with me. The goal for ANY MAJOR MATCH should be no-reshoots. Period.

But I suppose if it is run as professionaly as can be, then it should work out.

I can already see that 2007 is going to be the year of "much turmoil" in the USPSA structure. :rolleyes:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Chris,

I think that embeded RO's will become more and common, unless significant issues arise that cannot not be resolved. At this point they have been used several times, without incident, and the cost benefits cannot be ignored. While the goal of no re-shoots is admirable, having dedicated RO's is no guarantee that there will be no re-shoots or that the match will run smoothly.

Leo

Uggggggh! :( I guess I can see the financial reason for doing that, but it dosent sit well with me. The goal for ANY MAJOR MATCH should be no-reshoots. Period.

But I suppose if it is run as professionaly as can be, then it should work out.

I can already see that 2007 is going to be the year of "much turmoil" in the USPSA structure. :rolleyes:

Hey folks,

the RO's running with the squads, I'll take responsibility for, it allows us to be able to have less expenses, and it should be real easy, because we are "trying" to make every stage's start position standing anywhere in the shooting area, hands relaxed at sides!!!! then you have no problems with a start position.

should be a real hoot of a match!!!! we've got some unique stages!!!!!!

Manny

Chris,

As of this moment there is only one way to shoot the match and that is on Saturday and Sunday. With 10 stages, there is going to be a lot of shooting at this match.

So, just to confirm there is no way to shoot this match in 1 day ?

I raised my concerns about this exact situation when it was proposed for the last big match in Titusville. Fortunately, the RO's were chosen carefully and the concerns did not materialize. There was one incident where a squad shot a stage in a manner that was later determined to be inconsistent with how others were allowed and it caused a re-shoot of that stage by all the squad. I would not consider this a major flaw as it was easily corrected. I believe that the RO's for this match are also being chosen carefully to keep everything fair.

Although a fan of dirtypool40, I am not a fan of embedded ROs. The incident you mention is a prime example (if we're thinking of the same one ;) ). As a shooter, with traveling and expenses, the extra burden on the squad does not make for an enjoyable match. Let alone assuming RO duties, while trying to focus on the competition, "that" situation and the arguments and mud slinging that followed may have been avoided with a dedicated RO.

edited to add: oops! I'm referring to FL Sectional, but same idea. :D

Manny, good course design and description are part of a great match. I don't have a clue about the finances involved in putting on such a match. However, I'm not so sure cutting costs where ROs are concerned is the best solution. From my perspective, ROs are the backbone of a fair and consistant match, which is of utmost importance in competition. We all know that despite a perfect world, every RO is not exactly the same. At least with dedicated ROs, everyone is subjected to the same amount of (mis)interpretation of the rules.

With my move to St. Pete this month and starting a new job in February, I don't know what my schedule is going to be. Should I have the time off, I'd be happy to help where you need.

:D

Edited by Sharyn

Although a fan of dirtypool40, I am not a fan of embedded ROs. The incident you mention is a prime example (if we're thinking of the same one ;) ). As a shooter, with traveling and expenses, the extra burden on the squad does not make for an enjoyable match. Let alone assuming RO duties, while trying to focus on the competition, "that" situation and the arguments and mud slinging that followed may have been avoided with a dedicated RO.

edited to add: oops! I'm referring to FL Sectional, but same idea. :D

I agree wit Sharyn, I remember the FL Sectional squad re-shoot, however don't recall any mud slinging.

Manny, good course design and description are part of a great match. I don't have a clue about the finances involved in putting on such a match. However, I'm not so sure cutting costs where ROs are concerned is the best solution. From my perspective, ROs are the backbone of a fair and consistant match, which is of utmost importance in competition. We all know that despite a perfect world, every RO is not exactly the same. At least with dedicated ROs, everyone is subjected to the same amount of (mis)interpretation of the rules.

Again, I agree.

With my move to St. Pete this month and starting a new job in February, I don't know what my schedule is going to be. Should I have the time off, I'd be happy to help where you need.

:D

Moving to St. Pete? :) Cool! Welcome to the gunshine State, Ms Cohen!

I agree wit Sharyn, I remember the FL Sectional squad re-shoot, however don't recall any mud slinging.

Oh, man, you missed out! We all went down to the creek, under the bridge... :P Seriously, I even heard crap when I talked with Mike Voigt about it at Nationals.

Moving to St. Pete? :) Cool! Welcome to the gunshine State, Ms Cohen!

Thank ya! I'm excited! :D

Sharyn,

If you hang around with that "motley crew" of troublemakers you should expect mudslinging! I get the feeling you are going to get accustomed to it and will eventually learn to ignore it.

Leo

If you hang around with that "motley crew" of troublemakers you should expect mudslinging! I get the feeling you are going to get accustomed to it and will eventually learn to ignore it.

I almost said... "You mean, Jim?"

:P

Hey folks,

the RO's running with the squads, I'll take responsibility for, it allows us to be able to have less expenses, and it should be real easy, because we are "trying" to make every stage's start position standing anywhere in the shooting area, hands relaxed at sides!!!! then you have no problems with a start position.

should be a real hoot of a match!!!! we've got some unique stages!!!!!!

Manny

I am looking forward to this match Manny. I am sure it will be fine.

Sandro

Edited by Sandro

I would like to say that last years FL. State Champ. match was amazing. This was was my first match in USPSA and its the reason im still involved with the sport. Shooting over two days, getting to know people from other areas of the country with the same interests, different backgrounds. The stages were long, the R.O.'s were enthusiastic and reasonable. Not a bad thing to say about any single thing that was done. Derek had a little bit of trouble with some of the props on Friday when the R.O.'s shot. He was able to correct the problems and each R.O. was able to see how each stage would be run. I use that match as an example how every match should be conducted. I really dislike shooting matches in half day formats or one day formats. Espsecially when they try to fit in 8+ stages whith 10+ shooters per squad. You dont get a chance to enjoy watching other shooters run through a stage, because your racing through to finish in a timely manner. Last years format was perfect as a new shooter. I could see other shooters run through a stage and get a better outlook on how a stage should be broken down. I enjoy this sport and utilize it to relax and refresh myself after working all week long. I know the sport is highely competitive as so am I. The initial attraction I had with this sport is for the reasons I listed above. Maybe a different financial resolution can afford having R.O.'s shoot on friday. After all $100.00 per shooter is not so cheap and a match of this magnitude and attraction draws people from around the country. Ill be there (in the middle of my family vacation), maybe divorced by Sunday, Ill be there and cant wait till im there. Thank you for a great match last year!