Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turkey Fried In Peanut Oil

bountyhunter

• 4 weeks later...
Now if you want to be a real cajun, then fry that turkey in real hog lard or a mix of peanut oil / lard 50/50. Trans fat, bring it on. DMH was right, small whole chickens work real well too.

Kind of expensive to do just one chicken...have to do a bunch of them to make it worthwhile... ;)

Bill's right. Lots of insurance claims tied to deep-frying turkeys.

Most of the spectacular flair ups that happen when putting the bird in the pot are because someone over estimated the amount of oil needed, and when the bird is lowered into the hot oil, it spills up and over the edge and down onto the burner. Oil + burner = Very bad ju-ju.

Here's a good way to avoid appearing on 'America's Funniest Home Videos'. Put your turkey (forzen or not) in the pot. Hold it upright as it will be when on the little cooking stand that comes with the kit. Pour water over the bird until covered plus ~2". Pull out the turkey. The amount of water that's in the pot is how much oil you'll need. Measure down from the top and edge and fill oil to that point when preparing to heat things up.

O.K. ---- I'm about to do this the first time. Any tips? I've got the "proper amount of oil in pot" so no overflow situation in hand, as well as doing this on patio blocks away from the house, shed, trees, and anything else overhead.....

Other than that I'm a total newbie, so fire away......

Lower the bird slowly into the oil. Dropping it in too fast will lower the temp of the oil too much and affect the cooking time. You want the oil to stay at 350 for the duration of the cooking. Keep an eye on the temp and adjust fire to maintain temp.

The USDA Food Safety Inspection Service requires poultry to be cooked to 161.25 degrees internal (breast).

Beef is the only safe meat to eat partially cooked due to it being more "sterile".

Beef is fully cooked at 145 degrees and pork is actually a little less (144?).

Some friends of mine inject ranch dressing into a turkey before they deep fat fry it; they say it's awesome. I have not had a chance to sample one. :angry:

Stay safe, keep your powder dry and don't eat partially cooked poultry! :D

FM